1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 00:34
    I saw something in another thread that prompted me to ask this question.

Why are christians disunited when the bible say things like this?

Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body, and one spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling:
    One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    One God and Father of you all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 00:37
    Originally posted by josephw

Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body, and one spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling:
    One God and Father of you all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
    Because the Bible is poorly written.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 01:57

For the same reason you have different jewish sects, different islamic sects, different buddhist sects, different types of atheists, and everything else.
    That's what we humans are like. We differ. We think about things a bit differently from each other.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 02:04
    Originally posted by amannion
    For the same reason you have different jewish sects, different islamic sects, different buddhist sects, different types of atheists, and everything else.
    That's what we humans are like. We differ. We think about things a bit differently from each other.
    And then we kill each other. Not trying to sound pessimistic, just throwing it out there.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 02:47
    And then we kill each other. Not trying to sound pessimistic, just throwing it out there.
    Not necessarily.
    I know that's the reality of many parts of the world, past and present. But there are societies that demonstrate it is possible for the variety of our cultural and spiritual beliefs and practices to coexist.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 02:52

Another Christian interpretation of "the body" is from 1 Cor. 12-31 which talks about parts of the body ("For the body is not one member, but many" v. 14).

I have given some thought to this of late as I am in an area where pentecostals and holiness churches abound. So they are different from me. I guess I'll survive and hope they will too. Perhaps we would do well to look at the need they have for us and we for them. Somewhat like my leg needs a foot to better function.

This is why I believe it is so important for variety of expressions here. RBHill and DoctorScribbles need one another.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 13:42

If man is truly a fallen race it stands to reason that all his endevours are imperfect including those endevours concerning the church and the body of Christ. What scares me are those cults in which NO descent of any kind is allowed. Everyone is forced to adhere to a strict doctrine of somekind and no descent whatsoever is tolerated. In the body of Christ, it is important to recognize one Lord, one faith, and one baptism and to recognize Jesus as Lord who died for our sins. Otherwise, you have a different religion altogether. However, other differences as to how we view God and think of God are bound to be different in other regards. After all, the Bible is not a text book that reveals everything about God. Much of what he is about is still a mystery. Therefore, I find different denominations within Christianity as a strength so long as they do not directly conflict with the core teachings that make us Christians. What I find to be sad is the attitude that my church is the best church and the only church that is perfect in every way. If that were true, everyone on the planet would then need to attend your church. I think the trouble begins when the focus become church instead of the reason the church exists which is to seek and worship God. Cults are notorious in this regard. In cults, the focus is always an organization or a spiritual leader instead of God himself.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the body of Christ, it is important to recognize one Lord, one faith, and one baptism and to recognize Jesus as Lord who died for our sins. Otherwise, you have a different religion altogether.
    The problem is that people have different opinions about what are core beliefs. Some groups calling themselves Christian claim that other groups also calling themselves Christian are not in fact Christian.
    Similarly there have been a number of references in this forum to 'true Christians' implying that there are also 'false Christians'.
    I don't know much about the Gnostics but I believe that they had some very different core beliefs even a few hundred years after Christianity began .

The real question to be asked however is that if so many of your beliefs are so different from everybody else, doesn't it make you a bit unsure that your beliefs are correct? If what you believe is 'obvious' or clear then surely it would be so to everyone else, so it means it is not as clear as all that or you are privy to some information that no-one else has.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 19:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The problem is that people have different opinions about what are core beliefs. Some groups calling themselves Christian claim that other groups also calling themselves Christian are not in fact Christian.
    Similarly there have been a number of references in this forum to 'true Christians' implying that there are also 'false Christians'.
    I don't know muc ...[text shortened]... t is not as clear as all that or you are privy to some information that no-one else has.
    What we have is the Bible. Raad it and decide for yourself who is telling the truth in terms of who are the true followers of Christ.

For me it is not knowing ALL the truth, rather, it is knowing who is the source of all truth that is important. Christ said that I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. Therefore, I am not the source of truth, however, I can tap into that source. Those who disagree will simply say that it is misinterpreted or been tampered with or corrupted in some way. However, those who believe follow his ways and his teachings as they have been revealed to us via God's word.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree