1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 04:45
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Oh, I checked. And "told" should have read "taught"--that was my bad. I had real teachers.
    And as the intelligent people on here have pointed out, those words ARE never mentioned in the Constitution. It's debatable whether or not that's the meaning, just like "rapture" and "trinity" in the Bible (as also cited), but the fact is, the issue is not spelled out.
    Yes, those words are not in the constitution. However, the words that are in the constitution are regularly and properly interpreted by judges all the way to the supreme court to essentially mean that.

I think it's being a bit disingenuous to suggest that just because those specific words aren't in the constitution then the concept isn't in the constitution.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 06:41
    Do I know you?
    If you don't know, better ask somebody.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 07:57
    Do I know you?
    Howl?
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 11:40
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If you don't know, better ask somebody.
    You're that guy that is going to win some award for best sermon, right?
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 11:41
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Yes, those words are not in the constitution. However, the words that are in the constitution are regularly and properly interpreted by judges all the way to the supreme court to essentially mean that.

I think it's being a bit disingenuous to suggest that just because those specific words aren't in the constitution then the concept isn't in the constitution.
    I never said I didn't agree with the concept--I only stated what has been taught to many of us for a long time, and obviously, still charges debates even today.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 15:36
    Now it's all about the license plates. Some people want to buy the state approved plates with the wordds "I Believe" on them, along with a white cross. The usuals have come in to fight these plates in court. An ACLU guy told me that the "state had kicked in part of the money" to start the production of the "I Believe" plates, so I guess that was wrong. ...[text shortened]... buy a vanity plate, he should be able to, right? Including one that professes his faith?
    Did you ask that "guy" if it is legal to have a "I do not Believe" type of license plate from the state?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 16:504 edits
    Now it's all about the license plates. Some people want to buy the state approved plates with the wordds "I Believe" on them, along with a white cross. The usuals have come in to fight these plates in court. An ACLU guy told me that the "state had kicked in part of the money" to start the production of the "I Believe" plates, so I guess that was wrong. ...[text shortened]... buy a vanity plate, he should be able to, right? Including one that professes his faith?
    The issue isn't about "if someone wants to buy a vanity plate, he should be able to". It's about the fact that the state of South Carolina shouldn't be issuing license plates via its DMV endorsing Christianity.

"There's a fundamental difference between these plates and the 'I believe' tag," wrote Rob Boston, the Assistant Director of Communications of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "South Carolina can endorse NASCAR and even name it the official state sport. It cannot legally endorse Christianity."

For those who haven't seen the plate here's a link with a picture of a sample plate. It's about as blatant as you can get.
    http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/24/2409.asp

Interestingly enought the state already has "In God We Trust" plates along with "In Reason We Trust" plates for atheists.
    http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/pix/humanist.jpg

Maybe the State Motto of SC should be, "Anything for a Buck". 🙂
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 17:23
    I never said I didn't agree with the concept--I only stated what has been taught to many of us for a long time, and obviously, still charges debates even today.
    You did more than say that, you suggested that it wasn't in the constitution.

I'm glad you agree with the concept and I hope you believe it belongs in the constitution.

What appears to me to charge debates is the attempts to violate this concept and this part of the constitution by those would either think this is officially a "christian country" or have no problem with establishing christianity as the supported faith of the nation.

We've already violated this clause with the pledge of allegiance and "in god we trust" being on our money.

The fact that we have cases like this show that there are many in government who either don't understand this part of the constitution or don't respect it.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 19:47
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You did more than say that, you suggested that it wasn't in the constitution.

I'm glad you agree with the concept and I hope you believe it belongs in the constitution.

What appears to me to charge debates is the attempts to violate this concept and this part of the constitution by those would either think this is officially a "christian country" o ...[text shortened]... vernment who either don't understand this part of the constitution or don't respect it.
    or maybe they just don't think it's important enough to make a Federal case out of it. 🙂
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 19:49
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Did you ask that "guy" if it is legal to have a "I do not Believe" type of license plate from the state?
    No--but I assume it is since he said there are In Reason We Trust plates that are also available.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 19:56
    Oh, I checked. And "told" should have read "taught"--that was my bad. I had real teachers.
    And as the intelligent people on here have pointed out, those words ARE never mentioned in the Constitution. It's debatable whether or not that's the meaning, just like "rapture" and "trinity" in the Bible (as also cited), but the fact is, the issue is not spelled out.
    The thing is, this fits so well in with DSR and his Think Tanks. They think, they teach you, you believe what comes down from above.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 19:57
    No--but I assume it is since he said there are In Reason We Trust plates that are also available.
    Do you believe Reason is inconsistent with Religion?
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 21:10
    or maybe they just don't think it's important enough to make a Federal case out of it. 🙂
    Don't you think violations of the constitution are worth making a federal case over?

Some people don't take the erosion of our civil liberties very lightly. No one should.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 14:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Do you believe Reason is inconsistent with Religion?
    Not at all. I believe the earth is 4.5 byo becuase or science and reason. I also believe in the supernatural nature of God, who can override the laws of nature, physics, etc. No inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 17:20
    Not at all. I believe the earth is 4.5 byo becuase or science and reason. I also believe in the supernatural nature of God, who can override the laws of nature, physics, etc. No inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned.
    So license plates about reason are not the atheist version of license plates about Christianity, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree