1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 04:42
    5. Physical Cleanness: Because they represent God, Christians should keep their bodies and clothing clean. We should wash our hands after using the toilet, and we should wash them before eating meals or handling food. If you do not have a proper sewage disposal system, toilet wastes should be buried. (Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) Keeping physically clean contributes to good health. A Christian's home should be neat and clean both inside and outside. It should stand out in the community as a good example.

This is taken from http://www.watchtower.org/e/rq/index.htm

I believe in good hygiene but is this really a requirement of God? Or just a requirement of the Watchtower ? This one just seemed odd to me.

Manny
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 06:281 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    5. Physical Cleanness: Because they represent God, Christians should keep their bodies and clothing clean. We should wash our hands after using the toilet, and we should wash them before eating meals or handling food. If you do not have a proper sewage disposal system, toilet wastes should be buried. (Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) Keeping physically clean contribu ent of God? Or just a requirement of the Watchtower ? This one just seemed odd to me.

Manny
    There are two types of cleanliness and one is more important than the other to God.

http://www.crossings.org/theology/2009/theolo744.shtml
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 07:022 edits
    This one just seemed odd to me.
    "this one"...!
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 08:24
    5. Physical Cleanness: Because they represent God, Christians should keep their bodies and clothing clean. We should wash our hands after using the toilet, and we should wash them before eating meals or handling food. If you do not have a proper sewage disposal system, toilet wastes should be buried. (Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) Keeping physically clean contribu ...[text shortened]... ent of God? Or just a requirement of the Watchtower ? This one just seemed odd to me.

Manny
    Why in particular does this seem odd?

Apart from the God bit, I basically teach all of this to my son (age 6). Except the bit about toilet waste, as we have a working lavvy so it is unecessary.

If you read further into the Watchtower site, you will find an explanation of the different types of 'cleanliness' (including those referred to by RJHinds), a Biblical justification for the importance of physical cleanliness, and advice not to take this to extremes (which suggests to me that the JWs see this as important, but not the be all and end all compared to, say, spiritual cleanliness).

As divegeester implied, I can think of many other things that I might take far greater exception to in terms of JW beliefs than this.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 09:543 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Why in particular does this seem odd?

Apart from the God bit, I basically teach all of this to my son (age 6). Except the bit about toilet waste, as we have a working lavvy so it is unecessary.

If you read further into the Watchtower site, you will find an explanation of the different types of 'cleanliness' (including those referred to by RJHind ...[text shortened]... many other things that I might take far greater exception to in terms of JW beliefs than this.
    As divegeester implied, I can think of many other things that I might take far greater exception to in terms of JW beliefs than this

😲😲😲😲😲: 😵 😲😲😲😲😲
  6. England
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 13:01
    Why just the JWs every faith has this. I would feel bad going to church unwashed. i feel bad about going anywhere unwashed. We wash the vessels used at church, then we pray for our souls to be clean.
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 17:15
    So what can we say about bums or poor people? Clothes dirty ? Just seemed an odd thing is all. I think hygienic practice is good but it does not address the internal. I bet Hitler was hygienic LOL

Manny
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 22:03
    5. Physical Cleanness: Because they represent God, Christians should keep their bodies and clothing clean. We should wash our hands after using the toilet, and we should wash them before eating meals or handling food. If you do not have a proper sewage disposal system, toilet wastes should be buried. (Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) Keeping physically clean contribu ...[text shortened]... ent of God? Or just a requirement of the Watchtower ? This one just seemed odd to me.

Manny
    For your education on why the WTS would print such basic information that most of us do know, the Watchtower magazine in published in hundreds of countries and to millions of people, is it not? Do all countries have the education and knowledge of these simple facts?
    What examples are in the Bible of God teaching his people on hygene and staying clean? Think Manny.....

Seriously dude. What are you trying to prove by this constant digging you insist on doing?
    You should quit your job and just go on a witch hunt and maybe even get paid for it.
    You condemn us for trying to teach others to be clean? Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Jun '12 22:33
    Originally posted by galveston75
    For your education on why the WTS would print such basic information that most of us do know, the Watchtower magazine in published in hundreds of countries and to millions of people, is it not? Do all countries have the education and knowledge of these simple facts?
    What examples are in the Bible of God teaching his people on hygene and staying clean? ...[text shortened]... t paid for it.
    You condemn us for trying to teach others to be clean? Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!
    your right sorry

Manny
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jun '12 04:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    As divegeester implied, I can think of many other things that I might take far greater exception to in terms of JW beliefs than this

😲😲😲😲😲: 😵 😲😲😲😲😲
    Yeah, like forbidding blood transfusions. There is nothing wrong in wiping ones butt with toilet paper.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree