1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 08:59
    Originally posted by @apathist
    It's weird to go around thumping a bible and when asked why you do that, to answer nunya! So goofy it's almost cute.
    What are you on about now. Who is "thumping a bible"?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 08:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Actually it's not a good complete answer as I don't believe one can "choose" to believe something that they don't believe in, but my response serves the purpose of letting apathist know that I don't care whether he believes what I believe.
    I was born an atheist. As a 1 day old baby I had no beliefs whatsoever.
    Later I was raised as a christian.
    In my teens I choosed to leave the church and form my own beliefs.
    I had a choice, and I took it.
    No JW can change this. Neither should they try to alter my choice.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:03
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    I was born an atheist. As a 1 day old baby I had no beliefs whatsoever.
    Later I was raised as a christian.
    In my teens I choosed to leave the church and form my own beliefs.
    I had a choice, and I took it.
    No JW can change this. Neither should they try to alter my choice.
    Yes I agree that we are to some extent free to choose to not believe some thing but it is impossible to choose to believe something if you don't believe it.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:06
    I didn't ask you a question; if you wish to explain how "mother" doesn't somehow mean "mother" the onus is on you to do so. I'm not starting threads for you; you'll be asking me to wipe your ass for you next.
    You said I should explain myself. I said start a thread and I will. You say no. I'm okay with that too.

Btw, I never said that 'mother' doesn't mean 'mother'.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:10
    It's the final post on page 3.
    First, I don't claim what you claimed I claim.
    Second, you don't know my reasons, so claiming my reasons are your reasons is not an answer to my question.

Look, you refuse to be honest, so drop it. But instead you want to play games. You're butthurt, I get it.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:10
    What are you on about now. Who is "thumping a bible"?
    lol
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:18
    Yes I agree that we are to some extent free to choose to not believe some thing but it is impossible to choose to believe something if you don't believe it.
    At some point you have to leave a belief that you believe in and change this belief to another belief you didn't believe in before. In this very instant I choosed to believe in something I didn't believe in the second before this transition of belief.

This is a certain point in time when I changed one belief to another. Somewhere in this process I have to suppress one belief for the other one.

If this wasn't possible then it would not be possible in changing views about anything into anything else.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:36
    [b]You said I should explain myself. I said start a thread and I will. You say no. I'm okay with that too.

Btw, I never said that 'mother' doesn't mean 'mother'.[/b]
    You should explain yourself if you want to disagree that "mother" doesn't mean "mother". If you want to avoid doing that, which you clearly do, then you can always hide behind excuses such as the one you are here.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:36
    lol
    Dodge noted.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 09:381 edit
    At some point you have to leave a belief that you believe in and change this belief to another belief you didn't believe in before. In this very instant I choosed to believe in something I didn't believe in the second before this transition of belief.

This is a certain point in time when I changed one belief to another. Somewhere in this process I hav ...[text shortened]... sn't possible then it would not be possible in changing views about anything into anything else.
    I think you are picking the sweet corn out of the proverbial poo in relation to this conversation, but I do get what you are saying.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:111 edit
    This is a certain point in time when I changed one belief to another. Somewhere in this process I have to suppress one belief for the other one. ...
    We can choose to change our beliefs, and you're right that it involves a process. Most types of changes are like that. Evolutionary changes for example.

Another example that makes a good analogy: a blank canvas is not a painting. The artist applies a brushstroke of paint, and now there is no blank canvas but there is also no painting. After hundreds or thousands of brushstrokes, we have a completed painting. Which brushstroke cause that change from a blank canvas to a nice painting? None of them!
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:22
    We can choose to change our beliefs, and you're right that it involves a process. Most types of changes are like that. Evolutionary changes for example.

Another example that makes a good analogy: a blank canvas is not a painting. The artist applies a brushstroke of paint, and now there is no blank canvas but there is also no painting. After hundreds or ...[text shortened]... nting. Which brushstroke cause that change from a blank canvas to a nice painting? None of them!
    Exactly. Some creationists argues like there was a first human baby came out of a vomb of the last ape womb. That's of course not true. No first human existed. There was a gradual change from one stage of evolution to another, everyone knows that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree