1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '13 23:16
    Originally posted by Penguin
    It may be harsh, but I also believe it to be perfectly fair. They say they have evidence of something that they do not, and they are well aware that their conclusions are not supported.

They are simply lying.

Penguin.
    That seems like what the evilutionists are doing to me. Their conclusions are not supported either.

Then evilutionists must be simply lying, too. 😏
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 01:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]But I hardly see this as a design by the clerical hierarchy to deceive the public about the popularity of prayer.

The first line of the news release reads as follows:
    "Four out of five British adults believe in the power of prayer, according to a new ICM survey in the run-up to Easter."

The only way it wouldn't be a lie is if the writer and ...[text shortened]... ubstitute the terms "spin" and "disinformation", those are simply specific types of lies.[/b]
    The only way it wouldn't be a lie is if the writer and all the approvers of the press release did not understand the falseness of that statement. Regardless it is inexcusably deceptive.

Sure, of course it's deceptive. Whether there was any intention to deceive, I do not know. I can't imagine a committee of Anglicans maliciously attempting to deceive the public -- what would there possibly be to gain?

Anyway, I sincerely doubt that any deceptiveness can be imputed to the Church of England as a whole. The Church of England funds a vast array committees and sub-committees and they often produce a number of documents which even senior clerics will take issue with. And while the press release contains various quotes from Anglican leaders (merely general pastoral statements about prayer), I cannot see any deception attributable to the Anglican hierarchy itself.

This is not a publication from a Lambeth conference or from the mouth of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It's not ecclesiastical skullduggery, just naff journalism.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 01:381 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]The only way it wouldn't be a lie is if the writer and all the approvers of the press release did not understand the falseness of that statement. Regardless it is inexcusably deceptive.

Sure, of course it's deceptive. Whether there was any intention to deceive, I do not know. I can't imagine a committee of Anglicans maliciously attempting to dece ...[text shortened]... of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It's not ecclesiastical skullduggery, just naff journalism.[/b]
    Seriously? Who said anything about malice? You really have no idea why someone might have used deception?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 22:21
    Seriously? Who said anything about malice? You really have no idea why someone might have used deception?
    In this case, I really can't see any reason for deception other than malice.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 18:181 edit
    In this case, I really can't see any reason for deception other than malice.
    I see. Evidently the use of deceit in order to appear more important/relevant is outside your life experience. From what I've seen, it's not at all uncommon.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 20:54
    I see. Evidently the use of deceit in order to appear more important/relevant is outside your life experience. From what I've seen, it's not at all uncommon.
    I just can't see the any CofE caring. In fact, I can't even see how this press release would make the Church of England look more important in any way.

Maybe you're just American and have no idea about the cultural difference of the Church of England from other Christian churches.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 21:171 edit
    I just can't see the any CofE caring. In fact, I can't even see how this press release would make the Church of England look more important in any way.

Maybe you're just American and have no idea about the cultural difference of the Church of England from other Christian churches.

I suggest you reread the news release, consider the reasons for commissioning the survey, consider the reasons for putting out the news release, consider the reasons for titling the news release as they did and consider the reasons for wording the survey as they did.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 21:28
    [b]I just can't see the any CofE caring. In fact, I can't even see how this press release would make the Church of England look more important in any way.

I suggest you reread the news release, consider the reasons for commissioning the survey, consider the reasons for putting out the news release, consider the reasons for titling the news release as they did and consider the reasons for wording the survey as they did.[/b]
    All considered. I guess you just know nothing about the Church of England.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 22:123 edits
    All considered. I guess you just know nothing about the Church of England.
    All considered.

lol. They went to all that trouble without "caring".

Well, I've seen this movie before: Where you keep insisting how you "seriously doubt", "can't imagine", "can't see", etc. in about the most absurd fashion imaginable.

I guess you just know nothing about the Church of England.

How desperate. Do you seriously not understand how illogical this inference is?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 23:49
    [b]All considered.

lol. They went to all that trouble without "caring".

Well, I've seen this movie before: Where you keep insisting how you "seriously doubt", "can't imagine", "can't see", etc. in about the most absurd fashion imaginable.

I guess you just know nothing about the Church of England.

How desperate. Do you seriously not understand how illogical this inference is?[/b]
    This is the most I can infer from the press release: the Church of England commissioned a study on prayer and the press release relating to this study (and it is not to me clear who the author of this press release is) misconstrued the findings of that study.

I can infer nothing about the intentions of the author of the press release (Anglican hierarchy attempting to inflate their importance strikes me as implausible). Most likely the media centre of the Anglican Church is served by a professional PR company, not a theological commission, and it simply exaggerated the findings because its goal is to garner journalists' attention.

Again, from what I know of the CofE, I cannot see its hierarchy seriously wanting to deceive the public about the popularity of prayer. Of course they commissioned the study for a reason and they do care for some reason (thanks for distorting my words, typical of your style), just not for the reasons you suggest.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 00:571 edit
    This is the most I can infer from the press release: the Church of England commissioned a study on prayer and the press release relating to this study (and it is not to me clear who the author of this press release is) misconstrued the findings of that study.

I can infer nothing about the intentions of the author of the press release (Anglican hierarchy (thanks for distorting my words, typical of your style), just not for the reasons you suggest.
    Most likely the media centre of the Anglican Church is served by a professional PR company, not a theological commission, and it simply exaggerated the findings because its goal is to garner journalists' attention.

Since you seem to have lost track of the discussion.

CK:"In this case, I really can't see any reason for deception other than malice."

ToO:"I see. Evidently the use of deceit in order to appear more important/relevant is outside your life experience. From what I've seen, it's not at all uncommon."

CK:"I just can't see the any CofE caring. In fact, I can't even see how this press release would make the Church of England look more important in any way."

ToO: "I suggest you reread the news release, consider the reasons for commissioning the survey, consider the reasons for putting out the news release, consider the reasons for titling the news release as they did and consider the reasons for wording the survey as they did."

You're a real piece of work.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 01:38
    You're a real piece of work.
    I have no idea how you have reached such a conclusion. My point, the only point really, still remains: I can see no reason to accuse the Church of England of deliberate deception. I don't see what could be gained. It's probably just glib PR, nothing more.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 02:03
    I have no idea how you have reached such a conclusion. My point, the only point really, still remains: I can see no reason to accuse the Church of England of deliberate deception. I don't see what could be gained. It's probably just glib PR, nothing more.
    I have no idea how you have reached such a conclusion.

It's all laid out in my previous post. No surprise that you continue to 'play dumb'.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 02:40
    [b]I have no idea how you have reached such a conclusion.

It's all laid out in my previous post. No surprise that you continue to 'play dumb'.[/b]
    I read it but for the life of me, I can't figure out what your problem is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree