1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 23:07
    The Church of England has commissioned a poll which, it says, suggests that "80% of adults believe in the power of prayer"

http://www.churchofengland.org/media-centre/news/2013/03/four-out-of-five-believe-in-the-power-of-prayer.aspx

So presumably, they asked the participants whether they believed in the power of prayer. No? No. They asked this: "Irrespective of whether you currently pray or not, if you were to pray for something at the moment, what would it be for?"

Is this maybe a hypocritical attempt by the C of E to raise their profile in the run up to Easter?

The Church of England. Lying for Jesus since 1534.

--- Penguin.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 23:201 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    The Church of England has commissioned a poll which, it says, suggests that "80% of adults believe in the power of prayer"

http://www.churchofengland.org/media-centre/news/2013/03/four-out-of-five-believe-in-the-power-of-prayer.aspx

So presumably, they asked the participants whether they believed in the power of prayer. No? No. They asked this: "Irr ...[text shortened]... e run up to Easter?

--- Penguin.
    Unbelievable!

It should be

80% of adults chose a prepared option when asked "Irrespective of whether
    you currently pray or not, if you were to pray for something at the moment,
    what would it be for?"

I think its pretty damning that 20% had nothing to do with their little game!

I have a question for Church leaders:

Irrespective of whether you currently have sexual relations with children or
    not, if you were to have sex with a child, what gender would it be?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 23:272 edits
    Originally posted by Penguin[/i]

So presumably, they asked the participants whether they believed in the power of prayer. No? No. They asked this: "Irr the run up to Easter?

--- Penguin.
    Maybe a more poignant observation would include the gullibility of people in general.
    According to the data, the more people who believe in x, the more likely more people will believe in x.
  4. England
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 16:01
    lieing?? if they asked a question and people answered in truth, how come thats a lie?. you may question its validity as to who they asked, i for one was not, but stop your own bias.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 18:34
    Originally posted by stoker
    lieing?? if they asked a question and people answered in truth, how come thats a lie?. you may question its validity as to who they asked, i for one was not, but stop your own bias.
    The lie is that the answer to the question is not what their propaganda message said it was. Read through the OP again and you'll get it.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 18:36
    They asked this: "Irrespective of whether you currently pray or not, if you were to pray for something at the moment, what would it be for?"
    I am seriously wondering what the other 20% answered.
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am seriously wondering what the other 20% answered.
    If you follow the link in the OP, there is a link in the press release that goes to a pdf of the actual results.

It was a combination of 'i would never pray for anything' and 'don't know'

--- Penguin
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 23:061 edit

So presumably, they asked the participants whether they believed in the power of prayer. No? No. They asked this: "Irr the run up to Easter?

--- Penguin.
    "lying" is a bit harsh, I'd say.

I'd call it "spin".
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 21:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I'd call it "spin".
    It may be harsh, but I also believe it to be perfectly fair. They say they have evidence of something that they do not, and they are well aware that their conclusions are not supported.

They are simply lying.

Penguin.
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 22:26
    It may be harsh, but I also believe it to be perfectly fair. They say they have evidence of something that they do not, and they are well aware that their conclusions are not supported.

They are simply lying.

Penguin.
    You can understand it though,they must be pretty desperate ,religion is on the decline in England.I think it is the same in many developed countries.
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 00:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I'd call it "spin".
    That's not spin. If it is, it takes spin to an unprecedented level. "Lying" isn't necessarily correct either, because what they said might actually be true.

I think what they did is called "disinformation." Stuff like this just further alienates those outside the church. It makes the CoE seem desperate.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 03:45
    Originally posted by sumydid
    That's not spin. If it is, it takes spin to an unprecedented level. "Lying" isn't necessarily correct either, because what they said might actually be true.

I think what they did is called "disinformation." Stuff like this just further alienates those outside the church. It makes the CoE seem desperate.
    I take your point that it may not necessarily be lying - although
    if you know Brits you will know that it is most definitely not true.

At the very least it is deceitful.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Apr '13 21:551 edit

So presumably, they asked the participants whether they believed in the power of prayer. No? No. They asked this: "Irr ...[text shortened]... e run up to Easter?

--- Penguin.
    Come off it. It's a dodgy interpretation of the statistics. Obviously people who do not believe in the efficacy of prayer would still be inclined to answer that they would pray for world peace; however, even those who do believe in the efficacy of prayer might not think that the purpose of prayer is simply to ask for things (prayer may be spiritually remedial). And then again, those who do pray might not necessarily expect 100% efficacy.

But I hardly see this as a design by the clerical hierarchy to deceive the public about the popularity of prayer. I sincerely doubt that the majority of Anglican clerics pray.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '13 22:184 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Come off it. It's a dodgy interpretation of the statistics. Obviously people who do not believe in the efficacy of prayer would still be inclined to answer that they would pray for world peace; however, even those who do believe in the efficacy of prayer might not think that the purpose of prayer is simply to ask for things (prayer may be spiritually remedi ...[text shortened]... c about the popularity of prayer. I sincerely doubt that the majority of Anglican clerics pray.
    But I hardly see this as a design by the clerical hierarchy to deceive the public about the popularity of prayer.

The first line of the news release reads as follows:
    "Four out of five British adults believe in the power of prayer, according to a new ICM survey in the run-up to Easter."

The only way it wouldn't be a lie is if the writer and all the approvers of the press release did not understand the falseness of that statement. Regardless it is inexcusably deceptive.

For those who would substitute the terms "spin" and "disinformation", those are simply specific types of lies.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Apr '13 22:31
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I sincerely doubt that the majority of Anglican clerics pray.
    Said the Catholic.

Is that it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree