1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 May '07 05:341 edit
    Why is there no Commandment against assault? Is it more sinful to forget the Sabbath than to break thy neighbor's kneecaps with a baseball bat?
  2. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 May '07 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Why is there no Commandment against assault? Is it more sinful to forget the Sabbath than to break thy neighbor's kneecaps with a baseball bat?
    In view of the idea of "adultery of the mind" (I've actually heard the older member of the Irish Catholic part of my family define adultery as "impurity in thought and deed" ), I'd say that those among the Ten Commandments which are phrased as an injunction against some behaviour are actually prohibitions on intending to engage in the prohibited behaviour. Perhaps god thinks of assault as simply a failed attempt at murder, which is prohibited, and holds them as ethically equivalent.

Alternatively, both gobs of Biblesauce contain numerous assaults which are held to be righteous, so perhaps 10C ethics places no blanket ban on assault.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree