1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 09:42
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    I am currently working on a theory of quantum levity. However, there are a number of strings attached.
    Dirac's strings ?
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 12:23
    Originally posted by yousers
    If we consider changes within a single species to be evolution, yes we can observe it. No one has seen "macro-evolution" as it is referred to, and it is doubtful that one possibly could.

So my point was, we have far more evidence -here and now- for gravity than we do for evolution. Sure, you can't see gravity, but you also can't see the wind, atoms, ...[text shortened]... agree. It could be God working through nature; it could be a creation of your mind, who knows?
    You really don't see the similarity between your argument and the mock argument against gravity? Remember gravity is about a whole lot more than apples falling from trees to the earth.

Classical physics relates the gravitational force between objects to the masses of the objects and the distance between them. This works well on our scale. We can repeatedly test it and find that it fits.

On the quantum level their seems to be some issues with Newtonian descriptions of gravity. Things just don't behave the same way at that level. QM actually theorizes a particle called a graviton to explain how gravity works physically. As yet no one has observed a graviton. Also classical descriptions fail when applied to very large celestial bodies, or when velocities become very high. Einstein's General Theory of Relativity helps with that.

As yet there are still big issues to be resolved with our understanding of gravity, not the least of which is unifying our conceptions of it at every level (QM, CM, GR).

Check out this site and especially click on the contents section 2 "Problems with Newton's Theory."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

So you see? The comparison is quite solid. If "super-microevolution"
    existed then the comparison would be even better. If there were as many fundamentalist sites digging out and/or exaggerating/concocting dilemmas for gravitational theory, more people would know about the present difficulties.

So the point is if you're hell-bent on discrediting a scientific theory, you can do it. Creationists will attack the theory of evolution come hell or high water simply because it upsets their religious sentiments. If theories of gravity made them as spiritually uncomfortable as the theory of evolution, you can be sure would have Kansas Kangaroo Courts and Scopes Monkey Trials for gravitational theory as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree