1. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 20:38
    Man has walked on the moon, but in many places he cannot stroll on the streets on his own planet without fear.
    he can furnish a home with the latest technological conveniences, but he cannot stem the tide of broken families.
    He can bring about the information age, but he cannot teach people to live together peacefully.

The spread of knowledge and education has taught mankind little in the way of self-control and less in the art of living with other men peacefully.
  2. Joined
    10 Jun '03
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 13:29
    Originally posted by dale21
    Man has walked on the moon, but in many places he cannot stroll on the streets on his own planet without fear.
    he can furnish a home with the latest technological conveniences, but he cannot stem the tide of broken families.
    He can bring about the information age, but he cannot teach people to live together peacefully.

The spread of knowledge and educati ...[text shortened]... nkind little in the way of self-control and less in the art of living with other men peacefully.
    Amen! Now what is the answer?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 13:43

The spread of knowledge and educati ...[text shortened]... nkind little in the way of self-control and less in the art of living with other men peacefully.
    Very true. I'd also like to ask what the answer is, or what your point is and why you're posting in Spirituality about this.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 13:43
    Originally posted by Langtree
    Amen! Now what is the answer?
    "That man whose soul {The soul sinful or not, works morally, not physically to the hurt of others, but the man who hath a body may do something Medicante corpre.} is defiledwithmany hainous sins, his Body infirme, his Complexion evil, and hath a vehement fancy and desire to hurt his neighbour, may bring more inconveniences, then another man. The Reason may be, the Nature of Complexion and infirmity yeelds obedience to the thoughts of the Heart, and is more augmented by the intervention of our desires. Hence it is that a leprous person, who is solicitous, desirous and fancying to infect some one or other in the room, may more easily and forceably effect it, than he which hath no such intention, fancy or desire. For (as Avicen observes in the fore cited place) the nature of the body is obedient to the thoughts, and more intent fancies of the soul. And (as Avicen in the 3dMetaph. affirms) the thought is the first mover, after that the desire is made conformable to the thought, then after that the natural virtue, which is in the members, obeys the desire and thought; and thus it is both in good and bad effects. Hence it is that a young man of a good Complexion, healthfull, fair, well featured Body, having his soul not debauched with sinne, but of a strong fancy and vehement desire to compasse the effecting of some magnificent designe, withall adding the power of his Virtues, Species and natural heat; He may by the force of these *Spirits, {* Al. Species.} Vapours and influences work both more powerfully and vehemently, than if he should want any of these fore going qualifications, especially strong affections and forceable imaginations. Hence I conclude, Men by the concurrence of the foresaid Causes, Words and Works being the Instruments, bring great undertakings to perfection." Roger Bacon

5. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 16:10

I strongly disagree with the last line . To oversimplify - where is crime the highest ; on a college campus , or in the inner city projects ? Granted , this is a microcism , but generally where people persue education , knowledge , and constructive endeavors they tend to know quite a lot about getting along with one another peacefully . In areas where education is a luxury , or an unattainable dream both the crime rate and incidences of domestic violence are much higher .
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 16:45
    The spread of knowledge and education has taught mankind little in the way of self-control and less in the art of living with other men peacefully.
    Precisely. It was no bed of fragrant roses before the advent of mass communication, either. Human Nature is like that, I'm afraid. Surely you aren't going to suggest that Jesus and the bible are the answer? They've had two full millenia to change mankind, and it obviously hasn't worked, as you have pointed out.

So what now?
  7. Joined
    10 Jun '03
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 01:34
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    "That man whose soul {The soul sinful or not, works morally, not physically to the hurt of others, but the man who hath a body may do something Medicante corpre.} is defiledwithmany hainous sins, his Body infirme, his Complexion evil, and hath a vehement fancy and desire to hurt his neighbour, may bring more inconveniences, then another man. The Reason ma ...[text shortened]... and Works being the Instruments, bring great undertakings to perfection." Roger Bacon

Basically and in more coloquial language. It is man's inward greed and lust for power, wealth and gain are the cause for our dilemma. The sinful nature. As Anand 7 said in Star Trek, episode 23, A Taste of Armageddon, (not verbatim), Man is a destroyer first and a builder second .
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 01:41
    Originally posted by Langtree
    As Anand 7 said in Star Trek, episode 23, A Taste of Armageddon, (not verbatim), Man is a destroyer first and a builder second .
    Yeah. And that is about a valid a comment as anything you'd be likely to pull out of the bible.
  9. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Very true. I'd also like to ask what the answer is, or what your point is and why you're posting in Spirituality about this.
    my point was simply to give my view of how i see life, my aspect. granted crime and violence varies depending where you are, and what social groups are involved. But surely youd agree that on the whole us humans dont get on. whether it stay dignified and verbal, as in these forums, or barbaric and violent. sometimes on mass levels with whole countries getting involved. Many people say we are an advanced species, but whether we believe in God or evolution or neither, we stil have so much to learn. We've had a fair bit of time now to strive for peace, but are we all striving? and will more time bring any benefits?.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree