1. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 04:12
    Anyone realize that scientists think there used to be one giant continent. Can someone refresh my memory of the name? Was when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 04:152 edits
    Originally posted by pizzintea
    Anyone realize that scientists think there used to be one giant continent. Can someone refresh my memory of the name? Was when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
    Actually it was before the time they started, about 400
    million years ago, I think that was the last time the continents all banged together. If I am not mistaken, it's also not the first time they whacked together. Its kind of like dust on a soap bubble, you can see how those dust particles slide around, just on a teeny bit faster time scale. Here is a link:
    http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ec&Ev_Distance_learning/Hell/geologic_time.htm
  3. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 04:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually it was before the time they started, about 400
    million years ago, I think that was the last time the continents all banged together. If I am not mistaken, it's also not the first time they whacked together. Its kind of like dust on a soap bubble, you can see how those dust particles slide around, just on a teeny bit faster time scale. Here is a link:
    http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ec&Ev_Distance_learning/Hell/geologic_time.htm
    What does this mean then?
    http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/faq/dino-faqs/pdq207.html
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 04:35
    Pangaea
  5. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 04:381 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Pangaea
    Why is it sometimes spelled pangea and pangaea?

Edit : Also thanks
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 05:09

Like I said, it happened more than once, around 400 million BC and again at 225 mil. Thats when dino's got started, the second time around. It could happen again in another couple hundred million years also, not that anyone would be around to see it!
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 05:26

Why is colour sometimes spelt color?

The vagaries of the english language ...
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 16:37
    Originally posted by amannion
    Why is colour sometimes spelt color?

The vagaries of the english language ...
    Because the Americans decided that as a revenge for us defending them from the French (napoleon) and then taxing them to pay for it, They would not only ungratefully throw us out of their country (although at the time, technically, it was our country, and yes I am aware that England didn't exactly do themselves any favours diplomatically at this point) but create a new language, by simply rewriting the rules of spelling and grammar, but give it the same name so that people would be confused and mix the spellings up. This plot is carried on today by Microsoft and its evil empire. It is not English UK and English US, but English and American.
    😉 😛 😉
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 23:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Because the Americans decided that as a revenge for us defending them from the French (napoleon) and then taxing them to pay for it, They would not only ungratefully throw us out of their country (although at the time, technically, it was our country, and yes I am aware that England didn't exactly do themselves any favours diplomatically at this point) b ...[text shortened]... and its evil empire. It is not English UK and English US, but English and American.
    😉 😛 😉
    It was a rhetorical question actually.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 10:22
    Originally posted by amannion
    It was a rhetorical question actually.
    Yes, and you will notice it wasn't an entirely serious answer.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 05:56

The greek word that was the root of the word "Pangaea" had three vowels at the end; aia. This is where the "aea" comes from I imagine. However people pronounce the word such that "Pangea" seems more intuitively correct.

I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree