1. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 12:30
    Originally posted by Orange Peel
    Yeah, you could implement a computer simulation which could possibly show land masses moving/joining together(?) through the basic scientific knowledge we have today. I don't think we are that advanced to show the possible effects that could cause a land-mass split to repeat a cycle though.
    Why not? And why does it matter?
    According to Wikipedia it is probably cyclical and more than one cycle has been recorded.
    As I said, the exact future movement could not be predicted as it is chaotic but there may nevertheless be a definite cyclical pattern which could be predicted.
    Our scientific knowledge is hardly 'basic' and the main limitations to such a simulation would be financial. (pay a few scientists and hire a supercomputer.)
    It wouldn't surprise me however if someone is already doing it.
    Just for fun, you can actually watch the continents move:
    http://www.sudftw.com/contdcam.htm
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why not? And why does it matter?
    According to Wikipedia it is probably cyclical and more than one cycle has been recorded.
    As I said, the exact future movement could not be predicted as it is chaotic but there may nevertheless be a definite cyclical pattern which could be predicted.
    Our scientific knowledge is hardly 'basic' and the main limitations to Just for fun, you can actually watch the continents move:
    http://www.sudftw.com/contdcam.htm
    Well if it's a cycle and we don't recognise it as such, then the studies and data we find could be interpreted wrong.

Did life we have today start at the begining of the last cycle?

I've seen one before, but will check it out now. 🙂.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 12:511 edit
    Well if it's a cycle and we don't recognise it as such, then the studies and data we find could be interpreted wrong.

Did life we have today start at the begining of the last cycle?
    I don't think any studies or data are based on whether or not it is cyclical.
    No, life did not start at the 'beginning' of the last cycle. (where is the beginning of a circle anyway?) Life has been around for most of the earths history including at least the last two cycles (if cycles they are).

I still don't see how any of this is spiritual. Creationists don't believe the earth is that old and everybody else (more or less) accepts whatever findings scientists come up with and whether or not they are right (or accurate) is not very important.

[edit]Keep in mind that cycles of this nature are more like the cycles in weather than a day night scenario. One year you can have more storms over a longer period than in others and you can also have long term trends such as global warming. The period between super-continents may be random and as the earth cools down and exhausts its radioactive fuel, the frequency of such cycles may vary enormously.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 17:121 edit
    Yeah, you could implement a computer simulation which could possibly show land masses moving/joining together(?) through the basic scientific knowledge we have today. I don't think we are that advanced to show the possible effects that could cause a land-mass split to repeat a cycle though.

If a split is possible, then the effects caused during a split could affect what happens at a later stages in a cycle...
    For example, India is crashing into Asia, forcing the Himalayas up at 1 inch per year.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 19:16
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    For example, India is crashing into Asia, forcing the Himalayas up at 1 inch per year.
    Those evil Indians!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 01:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't think any studies or data are based on whether or not it is cyclical.
    No, life did not start at the 'beginning' of the last cycle. (where is the beginning of a circle anyway?) Life has been around for most of the earths history including at least the last two cycles (if cycles they are).

I still don't see how any of this is spiritual. Creation ...[text shortened]... s down and exhausts its radioactive fuel, the frequency of such cycles may vary enormously.
    The creation of life isn't spiritual?

If super-continents naturally get formed in random chaos, then how could they possibly split to form another cycle????
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yeah, I believe it's the earth joining back together into one land mass.
    Maybe through a split putting the wheels in motion(like space), natural effects of the earth, or a bit of both.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 06:31
    The creation of life isn't spiritual?
    I still don't see the connection to the origin (not creation) of life.

If super-continents naturally get formed in random chaos, then how could they possibly split to form another cycle????
    There are convection currents in the earths core. Some fluids are rising some are falling. Where the fluid rises the crust gets split (The great rift valley in Africa for example) where the fluid is falling the crust comes together (americas and the pacific). But it is chaotic and the places that rise and fall can move over time so at some point a rising area starts under a super continent and breaks it up. I know I am over simplifying as the effects can be quite complicated due to the rigid nature of the crust. However it is all fairly straight forward physics with no major mysteries.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 10:07
    It is a mystery, because the effects on the earth we document are only known with land spread out across the globe. If the land was all contained within the one area the physics would be different within the core and the crust around the globe.

It's basically a joke to make puppets run fast like little girls, but one sinking land mass could pressurise the earth's core to cause an explosion within an ocean's floor where it is weaker...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree