1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 20:04
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Its a point.

But hey, don't I get a chance to play skeptic too ?
    Of course. I think you should play skeptic more often 🙂
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 20:42
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…
    By your definition the "soul" is merely the conscious mind, am I right?

….

The problem is I don’t know what meaning I should attach to the word because different people seem to mean such different things from it.
    But taking the religious meaning of the word (IF I have correctly understood it) then it is supposed to be some kind of weird supernatural ‘container’ for the mind so it is that meaning I am taking here.[/b]
    No, more like a container for the spirit, the essence of a person.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The Bible says that God breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of man and man became a living soul.

The body was there. The spirit or "breath" of life was from God into this body. The result of the two being combined was that man became a living soul.

We have a physical dimension to contact the physical world.
    We have a pscyhological dimensi ...[text shortened]... he two were joined and a third matter came into existence - man suddenly became a living soul.
    And how is all of this not just ego? You also said of satan's reaction That was creating a new being to replace him as the top creation. Not too high an opinion of your place in the universe, aye?

And aside from that - what in the world around you or in your experience of the world (other than what someone has said to you in speech or thru writing - [third hand information]) can you share with us that will back up those statements?

As I've said before, I can accept that you believe that but I can't talk about it with you because none of it has anything to do with any experience that we might have in common. We could easily talk about sunlight, dirt, familial relationships, the inevitability of death but I see no difference between those statements and people who tell me that the planet venus is home to an advanced civilization that regularly visits earth. I can't argue with those people. I have no frame of reference (no shared experience) that I can use to even talk with them. They are not part of the human conversation.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 20:45
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    No, more like a container for the spirit, the essence of a person.
    What animates you, so to speak. 'The breath of life'.

I'm not sure where the container idea comes from. The body would be a soul container, if anything.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 21:29
    No the soul is Spiritual nothing material can contain it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree