1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Dec '08 05:40
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    yeah, wouldn't that be a great commandment?
    I think perhaps Kirk was offering it to you. 🙂

It is said that there are 613 commandments (mitzvot) in the Torah. It is recorded in the Talmud that a number of rabbis reduced them down to a smaller number of essentials, under which all of them might be subsumed. One rabbi (I forget just now who) said they all reduced to the following—

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does YHVH require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

And the Zohar states that there is no true justice unless compassion is a part of it.

That kind of thing becomes a “lens” through which to judge the application of any particular mitzvah in any particular situation.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Dec '08 09:30
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I think perhaps Kirk was offering it to you. 🙂

It is said that there are 613 commandments (mitzvot) in the Torah. It is recorded in the Talmud that a number of rabbis reduced them down to a smaller number of essentials, under which all of them might be subsumed. One rabbi (I forget just now who) said they all reduced to the following—

Micah ...[text shortened]... ugh which to judge the application of any particular mitzvah in any particular situation.
    There ws a method in my madness. He came up with a really good commandment about the role his compassion could take. My point was that there are people in the forum who may not think or be like he is, but if you listen to them a while, you may get a piece of gold. But you have to explore and listen.
  3. Break-twitching
    Moves
    29 Dec '08 10:07
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    There ws a method in my madness. He came up with a really good commandment about the role his compassion could take. My point was that there are people in the forum who may not think or be like he is, but if you listen to them a while, you may get a piece of gold. But you have to explore and listen.
    I appreciate your pointing out that opinions are like rectums, uh, I mean rectories 😉. I am not close-minded to the point of repudiating all that is said in contrast to my input; however, I am secure enough in my beliefs that secular philosophies, theological theories, and atheistic viewpoints hold no allure for me and offer no relevant material with which to debate. I reckon what I'm saying is that all the secular babble will never convince me that the Bible is fallible. Thank you just the same.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Dec '08 12:28
    I appreciate your pointing out that opinions are like rectums, uh, I mean rectories 😉. I am not close-minded to the point of repudiating all that is said in contrast to my input; however, I am secure enough in my beliefs that secular philosophies, theological theories, and atheistic viewpoints hold no allure for me and offer no relevant material with whi ...[text shortened]... the secular babble will never convince me that the Bible is fallible. Thank you just the same.
    You must be from the pentecostal or holiness persuasion.
  5. Break-twitching
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 10:12
    You must be from the pentecostal or holiness persuasion.
    Why do I have to be pentecostal or holiness? I am but a simple Christian, no frills, no bling, no nonsense. I simply believe in Jesus Christ and that the Bible is the inspired word of God. What is your stance?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 12:48
    Why do I have to be pentecostal or holiness? I am but a simple Christian, no frills, no bling, no nonsense. I simply believe in Jesus Christ and that the Bible is the inspired word of God. What is your stance?
    I'm just a simple laborer in the vineyard of the Lawd.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 13:042 edits
    I'm just a simple laborer in the vineyard of the Lawd.
    2 Timothy 4:1-5

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 19:45
    Originally posted by josephw
    2 Timothy 4:1-5

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but aft ...[text shortened]... hings, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, [b]make full proof of thy ministry.
    [/b]
    What do you think of my doctrine? I have lust and itchy ears.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 16:28
    Nobody's perfect!
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 21:30
    It's nothing a good scrubbing can't cure. 😛
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 21:35
    That is true. Remember lucifershammer? I learned an incredible amount from that man, even though we were almost always arguing. About the time you're ready to say: "Well, I can just write that person [whoever] off", they might just say something that alters your wordlview a bit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree