1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    03 May '18 20:42
    What is critical thinking? Here is a primer, a short series of short videos by david pakman, who runs a pretty tight blog that happens to focus on politics. I've studied the subject of critical thinking, and still found this series useful. So don't be afraid to spend some time on this.

    YouTube&list=PLVrg5xLmCvhF79Ut_CBvv8HMPRjhIbXGa

    Some people need this more than others, and I suppose they are the ones who won't bother.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Forum Saver
    In the Light
    Joined
    18 Dec '16
    Moves
    356
    03 May '18 21:28
    Originally posted by @apathist
    What is critical thinking? Here is a primer, a short series of short videos by david pakman, who runs a pretty tight blog that happens to focus on politics. I've studied the subject of critical thinking, and still found this series useful. So don't be afraid to spend some time on this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPFCLMEP8I&list=PLVrg5xLmCvhF79Ut_ ...[text shortened]... XGa

    Some people need this more than others, and I suppose they are the ones who won't bother.
    Well, I listened to the first installment and it made perfect sense.

    Common sense is in short supply these days it seems.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    03 May '18 21:51
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Common sense is in short supply these days it seems.
    I think we use common sense when we develop critical thinking skills, but they aren't the same thing.

    Common sense isn't common, I agree with that. Which is logically a clear contradiction. How can we explain that?

    Reveal Hidden Content
    oh! ask me! Unless we get a good answer from someone else.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Forum Saver
    In the Light
    Joined
    18 Dec '16
    Moves
    356
    03 May '18 22:02
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I think we use common sense when we develop critical thinking skills, but they aren't the same thing.

    Common sense isn't common, I agree with that. Which is logically a clear contradiction. How can we explain that?

    [hidden]oh! ask me! Unless we get a good answer from someone else.[/hidden]
    I agree, but I think another critical component of critical thinking and its subsequent result of common sense is experience.

    I found this useful tool that says, knowledge + experience = wisdom.

    After all one isn't born with it.
  5. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8576
    04 May '18 16:591 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    What is critical thinking? Here is a primer, a short series of short videos by david pakman, who runs a pretty tight blog that happens to focus on politics. I've studied the subject of critical thinking, and still found this series useful. So don't be afraid to spend some time on this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPFCLMEP8I&list=PLVrg5xLmCvhF79Ut_ ...[text shortened]... XGa

    Some people need this more than others, and I suppose they are the ones who won't bother.
    I'm glad you found the lecture useful. Your participation in this Discussion Forum really could use some clear critical thinking on your part more than ridicule and hit and run "don't really care anyway" few liner chats.

    Which one or two of these thread which you started would you say shows your critical thinking at its best?

    you
    hit ten or twelve
    works
    the great flood
    buddhism
    God made everything
    the most beautiful mountain
    here i am
    I don't see gods
    lucid dreaming
    Why Atheists CARE About YOUR religion
    respect your enemies
    2nd greatest question
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8537
    04 May '18 17:23
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I'm glad you found the lecture useful. Your participation in this Discussion Forum really could use some clear critical thinking on your part more than ridicule and hit and run "don't really care anyway" few liner chats.

    Which one or two of these thread which you started would you say shows your critical thinking at its best?

    [b]you

    hit ten ...[text shortened]... heists CARE About YOUR religion
    respect your enemies
    2nd greatest question [/b]
    I think that's a little cruel to be honest. (And labored cruelty at that, in your compiling of the list).

    You write a lot of interesting stuff sonship, but sometimes it's punctuated with unnecessary waffle. In contrast, apathist tends to post more concisely and in a way that is often 'outside of the box.' There is, however, more often than not, profound thought it what he writes, if you take the time to find it. Take for example the OP in one of the threads you highlighted (Works) where he posts:

    'It looks like to get heaven in your future, it doesn't matter what you do or how you behave, if you properly bend over. So I lost motivation.'


    I agree with his insight. It does indeed seem (if many Christians are to be believed) that it doesn't matter what good things you do in life, if you fail to bend the knee to God. - Rather than interpreting such words as uncritical or ridicule you would do better to show concern about how such a concept has taken away a man's motivation.
  7. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8576
    04 May '18 18:07
    Sorry Apathist.
    My post may have been a little cruel.

    I apologize.
    Good success I wish you on your critical analysis skills.
  8. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8576
    04 May '18 18:123 edits
    critically thinking.

    Umm, Nevermind.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8537
    04 May '18 18:33
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Sorry Apathist.
    My post may have been a little cruel.

    I apologize.
    Good success I wish you on your critical analysis skills.
    Nice post sonship.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    04 May '18 21:51
    I make lots of mistakes of course. But I go through a day or a week or whatever of life and am chewing on what I'm learning in my head, if you see what I mean. Now, any concept really deserves a freaking book-load to talk about it, and I've gone that route where I try to carefully explain what I think I've learned, and that doesn't usually work very well, plus it takes a lot of time.

    So now my posts tend to be a venting where I share the boiled-down version of whatever conclusion I reached about whatever was bothering me. I welcome pointed questions, that is why I post.

    Anyway I accept, sonship, and apologize for being intolerant.
Back to Top