1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 20:49
    Critically significant words...

Critically significant words to human beings universally in the entire course of a lifetime (irrespective of labels they may choose to wear or ignore) would seem to me to include commonsense, fairness and integrity. That's my humble point of view. Yours?

gb
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Critically significant words...

Critically significant words to human beings universally in the entire course of a lifetime (irrespective of labels they may choose to wear or ignore) would seem to me to include commonsense, fairness and integrity. That's my humble point of view. Yours?

gb[/b]
    Fairness and integrity are certainly good concepts...
    However unfortunately 'common sense' is far too often wrong to be really useful,
    scientific skepticism is a better replacement.

Empathy and compassion are also vitally important.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge

Fairness and integrity are certainly good concepts...
    However unfortunately 'common sense' is far too often wrong to be really useful,
    scientific skepticism is a better replacement.

Empathy and compassion are also vitally important.
    Imprecise word to be sure. Used 'commonsense' in the very practical, not philosophical sense, as a code word for sound and prudent judgement. Reasonable and perhaps more nearly accurate alternative might be 'good sense' (as in to come in out of the rain).

gb
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 04:15

gb[/b]
    Let me add honesty before Dasa beats me to it.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 16:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds

Let me add honesty before Dasa beats me to it.
    Veracity and Honesty are alive and well and sitting prominently in the spacious

and comfortable passenger compartment of the limousine Integrity is driving.

gb
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 18:301 edit

gb[/b]
    those are all subjective concepts.

rj already mentioned honesty, i would go one further; honesty to the self. or in the alleged words of william shakespeare, "to thine own self be true"

and in the words of metallica, "when a man lies, he murders a part of the world."
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 19:54
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit

those are all subjective concepts.

rj already mentioned honesty, i would go one further; honesty to the self. or in the alleged words of william shakespeare, "to thine own self be true"

and in the words of metallica, "when a man lies, he murders a part of the world."
    "The primary rule of life: Relax." -VS

Objective concept?
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 19:59

gb[/b]
    Love.
    Hate.
    Indifference.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 22:12
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Love.
    Hate.
    Indifference.
    "Indifference" <----------------------------that's a biggee!!!
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 23:581 edit
    "Indifference" [b]<----------------------------that's a biggee!!![/b]
    I was taught by a female English Lit/Grammer teacher I love and respect very much, and still keep in touch with, that indifference is actually much worse than hate. And she was right.

If you hate someone, you dedicate a large amount of strong emotion toward them.

But to be completely cold and indifferent? There's just nothing worse to feel toward another and nothing worse to be the recipient of.

I think she spun off into the conversation after we reviewed someone's poem about unrequited love.

*edit*
    I did my usual edit after rereading my post... and saw this: "...and nothing worse to be the recipient of."

Is that bad grammar? I can't figure out how to fix it.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 00:58
    I was taught by a female English Lit/Grammer teacher I love and respect very much, and still keep in touch with, that indifference is actually much worse than hate. And she was right.

But to be completely cold and indifferent? There's just nothing worse to feel toward ano ...[text shortened]... g worse to be the recipient of."

I agree to the extent that I toyed with posting something similar.

It's a theme played out in the harry potter novels incidentally,
    Sirius treated his house elf with indifference which is why he betrayed their secrets and got him killed.

as for the grammar... How about;

"There is nothing worse than being treated with indifference, and no worse feeling to express to another" ?

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment behind it, It isn't indifference per-Se that causes the problem.
    It's indifference by someone you care about, or should care about you, that hurts.

You don't really care that much if your cashier at the local supermarket is indifferent towards you.
    However its a different matter if it was your mother who was indifferent, or the girl you have a crush on, ect.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:02
    However unfortunately 'common sense' is far too often wrong to be really useful
    "Common sense" to Japanese means don't disturb the group's consensus. To me (a non-Japanese person), "common sense" - in practical terms- might often require me to disturb or dissent from the group's consensus.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:301 edit

But to be completely cold and indifferent? There's just nothing worse to feel toward a thing worse to be the recipient of."

"There's just nothing worse to be the recipient of or to feel toward another."

Simply recasting the sentence gets rid of the floating preposition. Please leave a 20% gratuity or a dime or the contents
    of your pocket, the lesser of the three on the counter. Fresh Lemonade & Affordable Advice Stand Staff thank you.

gb (soul proprietor)

😉
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:31
    I agree to the extent that I toyed with posting something similar.

It's a theme played out in the harry potter novels incidentally,
    Sirius treated his house elf with indifference which is why he betrayed their secrets and got him killed.

as for the grammar... How about;

"There is nothing worse than being treated with indifference, and no wor ...[text shortened]... t matter if it was your mother who was indifferent, or the girl you have a crush on, ect.
    Indeed you are correct (though it may matter to some, how attractive said female cashier is 😉 )

Yes, I guess I should have made sure to indicate that indifference is the worst thing to feel toward another with whom you have a close relationship with.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:35
    [b]"There's just nothing worse to be the recipient of or to feel toward another."

Simply recasting the sentence gets rid of the floating preposition. Please leave a 20% gratuity or a dime or the contents
    of your pocket, the lesser of the three on the counter. Fresh Lemonade & Affordable Advice Stand Staff thank you.

gb (soul proprietor)

😉[/b]
    I'll throw in a little extra money since you're selling fish. I prefer it fried in sticks so I don't have to deal with bones. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree