1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 11:29
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Do you think a religion without a god is not possible?

I'm inclined to agree, but I've seen quite a few theists here claim that atheism is also a religion.

You disgree with that then?
    There is only one God, so any 'religion' that doesn't acknowledge the one and only true God is a false religion even though it may have all the outward appearance of a religion.

The idea that atheism is a 'religion' has to do primarily with how organized the institution is in terms of it's tenants. There are atheists organizations that exists to promote a cause, so in that sense they could be labeled a 'religious organization'.

But I don't agree with that. My personal view is that 'religion' is a system of rites and rituals designed by men for the purpose of establishing a relationship with God, or a god or gods based on man's own efforts.

I prefer the word 'faith' to describe a belief system that is designed by the only one and true God that establishes the relationship on man's behalf without any part of man in it's operation.

Do you want to get me going? I can tell you exactly everything you need to know to have that faith. It's a whole lot more fun than sitting around waiting for God to give approval to one's own ideas and efforts for the purpose of being accepted by God.

Religiosity is a stench in the nostrils of God.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 11:421 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    1. There is only one God, ...
    2. The idea that atheism is a 'religion' has to do primarily with ...
    3. But I don't agree with that. My personal view is that 'religion' is a system of rites and rituals designed by men ..
    4. I prefer the word 'faith' ...
    5. Do you want to get me going? I can tell you exactly everything you need to know to have that faith.
    6. Religiosity is a stench in the nostrils of God.
    1. No. There are many gods. Just like there are many wizards. (See Harry Potter novels/films)

2. Redefine a word and you can always say "... in that sense ..." It is meaningless.

3. I agree; religion is a system of rites and rituals designed by men.

4. I prefer the word "naive"

5. Educate us.

6. Did he tell you that? What meds were you on at the time?

😀 (the sign of the jovial atheist}
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 11:491 edit
    There is only one God, so any 'religion' that doesn't acknowledge the one and only true God is a false religion even though it may have all the outward appearance of a religion.

The idea that atheism is a 'religion' has to do primarily with how organized the institution is in terms of it's tenants. There are atheists organizations that exists to promote a ...[text shortened]... ts for the purpose of being accepted by God.

Oddly enough, muslims and Jehova's Witnesses will agree with you on this. Until you start to discuss who this one "true" god is. So how do you decide who has it right?

There are atheists organizations that exists to promote a cause

There are tons of organisations that "exists to promote a cause". In that sense they can all be labeled a "religious organisation". Seems a bit of stretch, don't you think?

Do you want to get me going? I can tell you exactly everything you need to know to have that faith.

Yes, please.

I'm not sure I follow. Previously you said "'religion is a system of rites and rituals designed by men for the purpose of establishing a relationship with God, or a god or gods based on man's own efforts". Do you mean to say you disagree with these rites and rituals?

EDIT: Oops, just saw Wolfgangs post. Reminded to always add a smiley. So here goes:

😀
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 12:05
    [b]There is only one God, so any 'religion' that doesn't acknowledge the one and only true God is a false religion even though it may have all the outward appearance of a religion.

Oddly enough, muslims and Jehova's Witnesses will agree with you on this. Until you start to discuss who this one "true" god is. So how do you decide who has it righ ...[text shortened]... ls?

EDIT: Oops, just saw Wolfgangs post. Reminded to always add a smiley. So here goes:

😀[/b]
    Thanks for the smiley. It's important to me that you are enjoying this as much as I am. 🙂

How do you know anything about God? If you know anything at all about God, how did you come by that knowledge?

Gotta go now. Be back later. Keep smiling! 😀
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 12:24

The idea that atheism is a 'religion' has to do primarily with how organized the institution is in terms of it's tenants. There are atheists organizations that exists to promote a ...[text shortened]... ts for the purpose of being accepted by God.

Atheism is a Religion Says US Supreme Court

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977925893
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 12:362 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Atheism is a Religion Says US Supreme Court

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977925893
    You really like to put spins on these things. First off, it is not THE US Supreme Court, it is A US Supreme Court, a STATE supreme court and second off, the plaintiff was an atheist inmate in a prison who just wanted to have atheist meetings and was denied that because the prison said atheism is not a religion.

So you figure you could get some brownie points with this crap?

Is this supposed to be some kind of refutation of my critique?

If so, please enlighten me.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 12:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You really like to put spins on these things. First off, it is not THE US Supreme Court, it is A US Supreme Court, a STATE supreme court and second off, the plaintiff was an atheist inmate in a prison who just wanted to have atheist meetings and was denied that because the prison said atheism is not a religion.

So you figure you could get some brownie po ...[text shortened]...

Is this supposed to be some kind of refutation of my critique?

If so, please enlighten me.
    I was providing the information for josephw, since he mentioned something about atheism as a religion of sorts.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 13:21
    Thanks for the smiley. It's important to me that you are enjoying this as much as I am. 🙂

How do you know anything about God? If you know anything at all about God, how did you come by that knowledge?

Gotta go now. Be back later. Keep smiling! 😀
    I assume you are going to give me a better reply to my post than this, so I'll just wait until you get back.

And there's also a post in "Adieu" that awaits your reply.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 17:37
    I assume you are going to give me a better reply to my post than this, so I'll just wait until you get back.

And there's also a post in "Adieu" that awaits your reply.
    "I'm not sure I follow. Previously you said "'religion is a system of rites and rituals designed by men for the purpose of establishing a relationship with God, or a god or gods based on man's own efforts". Do you mean to say you disagree with these rites and rituals?"

Yes. I explained why in a previous post. Perhaps you didn't understand or you glossed over it without comprehension.

"Until you start to discuss who this one "true" god is. So how do you decide who has it right?"

I don't. God does.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 17:541 edit
    Do you think a religion without a god is not possible?

I'm inclined to agree, ....?
    Some religions have multiple gods, others have no gods. But I suppose many of them get called 'belief systems' rather than religions.
    There are several religions in China that do not include gods. Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism. There is also ancestor worship, but it is so varied that it is hard to call it a religion. Maybe it is a collection of religions? Then there are religions where the 'god' is human - such as what exists in North Korea.
    And what about scientology?
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 18:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Some religions have multiple gods, others have no gods. But I suppose many of them get called 'belief systems' rather than religions.
    There are several religions in China that do not include gods. Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism. There is also ancestor worship, but it is so varied that it is hard to call it a religion. Maybe it is a collection of religion ...[text shortened]... ions where the 'god' is human - such as what exists in North Korea.
    And what about scientology?
    I'm certainly not an expert on these matters, but I would say that a religion without a god is a philosophy or a cult.

Of course there are grey areas, where religion meets one of the two. This is when a certain person (or maybe multiple, or maybe even something like an animal) gets revered to such an extent that this person is believed to be much "higher" and "better" and "more knowledgeble" than "ordinary" people and maybe in touch with forces "from beyond this universe". I'm thinking about Buddha for instance.

Scientology, besides being a brilliant money making scheme, I would classify as a cult although I believe they also believe in God.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 18:37
    I'm not too happy with my previous post cause it all sounds way too simplistic, but I'm tired and am having problems communicating what I meant properly.

Need some shut-eye.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 21:20
    I'm not too happy with my previous post cause it all sounds way too simplistic, but I'm tired and am having problems communicating what I meant properly.

Need some shut-eye.
    I understand. I feel that way most of the time.

I just wish I could come up with the perfect argument. I wonder if that's possible? Maybe we're all just wasting our time. Maybe we just do this to aggravate each other. 😵
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 21:40
    "Until you start to discuss who this one "true" god is. So how do you decide who has it right?"

I don't. God does.[/b]
    So are you saying you did not make the decision to follow your religion?
    God made the decision for you?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 12:44
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So are you saying you did not make the decision to follow your religion?
    God made the decision for you?
    No.

"So how do you decide who has it right?"

Perhaps you don't realize that you're bouncing around the topic, just sayin', so I'll recap.

My answer to that question is 'I don't, God does'. God does what? God decides who He is and what He is about.

We are the responders. sonhouse is trying in vain to invent God in his own image. That's generally what man does. Even when God describes Himself to man, man has that tendency to reinvent who and what God is to further his own agenda.

That's religion.

If there be a God, only God can define Himself. Only the creator can give definition, meaning and purpose to His creation.

Only logical.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree