1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 May '14 16:391 edit
    Crucial Life Decision Hypotheticals

1) Suppose you've been diagnosed with a serious medical condition which would require an invasive high risk surgical procedure within the immediate future. 2) Suppose you've been subpoenaed in an unexpected criminal litigation for some alleged unlawful act which would in all likelihood require multiple high level court appearances.

In the first instance, will you seek the most qualified and credentialed surgeon available or will you decide to perform the procedure yourself at home relying on your basic medic training in the army? In the second instance, will you work your professional contacts for referrals of an accomplished defense attorney specialized in the field of the criminal allegations against you or will you decide on a heroic effort of self representation? Other options? (to be continued)
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 May '14 16:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Crucial Life Decision Hypotheticals

1) Suppose you've been diagnosed with a serious medical condition which would require an invasive high risk surgical procedure within the immediate future. 2) Suppose you've been subpoenaed in an unexpected criminal litigation for some alleged unlawful act which would in all likelihood require multiple high ...[text shortened]... u or will you decide on a heroic effort of self representation? Other options? (to be continued)[/b]
    Let's stipulate the option of having a pro do it, and see where this goes...
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 May '14 16:48

1) Suppose you've been diagnosed with a serious medical condition which would require an invasive high risk surgical procedure within the immediate future. 2) Suppose you've been subpoenaed in an unexpected criminal litigation for some alleged unlawful act which would in all likelihood require multiple high ...[text shortened]... u or will you decide on a heroic effort of self representation? Other options? (to be continued)[/b]
    other options -

pray that god will heal your body and make the evidence 'disappear'.
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    12 May '14 18:072 edits
    1) Suppose you want to feel accomplished and superior to others. 2) Suppose you don't want make any of your moral or ethical decisions yourself.

In the first instance, will you seek out an organization that will tell you that you are superior, with minimal effort required on your part, or will you attempt to become superior and accomplished through your own efforts? In the second instance, will you get referrals for an organization with a long history of absolving people of the requirement of making their own moral and ethical decisions, or will you find your own way of avoiding these decisions?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 May '14 21:291 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Let's stipulate the option of having a pro do it, and see where this goes...
    Within these two hypotheticals, JS, would you hope "this goes..." along emotional or rational lines of exploration?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 May '14 22:13
    Within these two hypotheticals, JS, would you hope "this goes..." along emotional or rational lines of exploration?
    I only ask that it be in English. 🙂
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 May '14 22:14

I'll feed the troll...

I would go for getting expert experience and advice in both cases, preferably backed by evidence of previous successes: I'd obviously avoid the likes of Stanislaw Burzynski!

Penguin.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 00:442 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    other options -

other options -

stellspalfie, does this compound statement represent your objective decision in these two crucial life decision hypotheticals?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 01:24
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I'll feed the troll...

I would go for getting expert experience and advice in both cases, preferably backed by evidence of previous successes: I'd obviously avoid the likes of Stanislaw Burzynski!

Penguin.
    So no charlatans or quacks need apply. Okay. Christopher Hitchens said that "The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks." I always thought you exemplified this description; then you preface your statement with: "I'll feed the troll." Does this refer to a Goldfish or Parrot named "the troll" or were you qualifying your statement?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 01:26
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    1) Suppose you want to feel accomplished and superior to others. 2) Suppose you don't want make any of your moral or ethical decisions yourself.

In the first instance, will you seek out an organization that will tell you that you are superior, with minimal effort required on your part, or will you attempt to become superior and accomplished through your ...[text shortened]... heir own moral and ethical decisions, or will you find your own way of avoiding these decisions?
    Pat, please clarify the statement of your decision as it appears to introduce additional off topic hypotheticals. Thanks.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '14 11:32
    So no charlatans or quacks need apply. Okay. Christopher Hitchens said that "The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks." I always thought you exemplified this description; then you preface your statement with: "I'll feed the troll." Does this refer to a Goldfish or Parrot named "the troll" or were you qualifying your statement?
    Yes, it was harsh and I apologise and retract it. Please don't let my rudeness disuade you from continuing the conversation.

--- Penguin.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 May '14 11:39
    no its not an option i would choose. its an option though.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 11:531 edit
    no its not an option i would choose. its an option though.
    Two mutually exclusive options and an open ended "Other?" are contained at the conclusion of the original post:

"In the first instance, will you seek the most qualified and credentialed surgeon available or will you decide to perform the procedure yourself at home relying on your basic medic training in the army? In the second instance, will you work your professional contacts for referrals of an accomplished defense attorney specialized in the field of the criminal allegations against you or will you decide on a heroic effort of self representation? Other options?"

stellspalfie, which would you choose if these crucial life decisions were yours to make?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 May '14 12:00
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Yes, it was harsh and I apologise and retract it. Please don't let my rudeness disuade you from continuing the conversation.

--- Penguin.
    Realized your intent was a lighthearted and spontaneous opening sentence. Let's just focus on the decisions. Okay. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree