16 Mar '05 16:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 16:55
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I thought the book was excellent. I thought the plot was well-developed, I couldn't put the book down, and while it's possible that Mr. Brown stretched the truth in some instances with regard to the history of the Catholic Church, there's also a significant grain of truth in it.
    What "truth" do you speak of?
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 17:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 17:381 edit
    The book should be condemned - it's a derivative piece of appalingly written drivel. The arguments it put across were generally those espoused in The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail about twenty years ago, which were subsequently shown to be the conceit of a couple of hoaxers. A far better piece of fiction is Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, which deals with almost identical themes and is written by someone with a modicum of talent (considerably more, actually).

Would however be quite happy for the Catholic church to get upset and demonstrate once again how far divorced it is from the modern world, other than for the fact it might encourage a few more people to read the damn book.
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 00:21
    I try not to believe in conspiracy theories. I really do try to put these thoughts aside. It's been two years. The book is slowly slipping of the best seller list, and the church condems it. Sales will go up now. If the church wanted to ban it seriously, should'nt it have been done before?

Nyxie

6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 00:28
    Originally posted by Scheel
    Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone of the roman catholic church bannes the popular book by Dan Brown.
    The main point seems to be that the book falsely suggest that Jesus might have had a child with Maria Magdalene and continues to point out that christianity has suppressed women over the centuries.

What do you think ?

I’ve read the book (the new illustrated e ...[text shortened]... track record of banning is not really impressive (Galileo etc. )
    So why do they keep trying ?
    The book sucked.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Mar '05 00:31
    Originally posted by Scheel
    Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone of the roman catholic church bannes the popular book by Dan Brown.
    The main point seems to be that the book falsely suggest that Jesus might have had a child with Maria Magdalene and continues to point out that christianity has suppressed women over the centuries.

What do you think ?

I’ve read the book (the new illustrated e ...[text shortened]... track record of banning is not really impressive (Galileo etc. )
    So why do they keep trying ?

Nobody banned anything at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree