1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '13 14:38
    http://www.examiner.com/article/dalai-lama-promotes-secular-ethics-respect-for-nonbelievers

The Dalai Lama advocated for secular ethics, and respect for nonbelievers, while speaking at the Jaipur Literature Festival, South Asia’s biggest annual literary event.

Speaking to an attentive and appreciative audience on Thursday, January 24, the opening day of the festival, the Dalai Lama spoke of the virtues of a secular morality free of religious bias. The Dalai Lama stressed the importance of secular ethics as the basis of moral teachings, arguing that morality based on religious teachings cannot be universal.

The Dalai Lama stressed the fact that one need not be religious to be a moral person:

"If you have religious faith, wonderful. If you have no interest in it, okay! Secular ethics are the most important."

The Dalai Lama praised the secular foundations of India, saying “India’s constitution is based on secularism.” He went on to point out that

“Secularism does not mean to disrespect religion; Respect all religions but at the same time respect nonbelievers.”

The Dalai Lama also told the audience that he enjoyed reading stories that showed the capacity of a human being or an animal to help another person, but joked that he did not like stories about miracles because he did not believe in them.

I think he is of an extremely rare breed: a religious leader worthy of respect.

--- Penguin.
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '13 14:50
    Originally posted by Penguin
    http://www.examiner.com/article/dalai-lama-promotes-secular-ethics-respect-for-nonbelievers

[b][quote]

[i]The Dalai Lama advocated for secular ethics, and respect for nonbelievers, while speaking at the Jaipur Literature Festival, South Asia’s biggest annual literary event.

Speaking to an attentive and appreciative audience on Thursday, January 24 ...[text shortened]... think he is of an extremely rare breed: a religious leader worthy of respect.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    You are right, got to check this guy out!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 09:284 edits
    The Dalai Lama stressed the importance of secular ethics as the basis of moral teachings, arguing that morality based on religious teachings cannot be universal.

The Dalai Lama stressed the fact that one need not be religious to be a moral person:

"If you have religious faith, wonderful. If you have no interest in it, okay! Secular ethics are the most important."

The Dalai Lama praised the secular foundations of India, saying “India’s constitution is based on secularism.” He went on to point out that

If talking about people of faith respecting secular law this reminds me of things said by Christ and the apostles.

"Be subject to every human institution for the Lord's sake, whether to a king as being supreme, or to governors as being sent by him for vengence on evildoers and praise of those who do good. For so is the will of God, that by doing good you would muzzle the ignorance of foolish men;

And as free, and yet not having freedom as a covering for evil, but as slaves of God. Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king." (First Peter 2:13-17)

This is the Apostle Peter's exhortation on respect of human (or so-called "secular" ) institutions.

The whole chapter of Romans 13 is Paul's similar teaching to Christians.

They contain such words as ...

"Let every person be subject to the authorities over [him], for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are ordained by God." (v.1)

"So then he who resists the authority opposes God's ordination, and those who oppose will receive judgment to themselves." (v.2)

"For the rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Do you want to have no fear of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from him." (v.3)

" ... For because of this you also pay taxes; for they are God's officers, attending constantly to this very thing. Render to all the things due: tax to whom tax is due, custom to whom custom is due, fear to whom fear is due, honor to whom honor is due. (v.6,7)"

The apostles Peter and Paul derived their exhortation about respecting the secular government from their Lord and Master Jesus -

The Pharisees ganged up with their rivals the Herodians (Matt. 22:16) to try to catch Jesus offending one side or the other - a real trap:

"Tell us therefore, What do you think? Is it lawful to give tribute to Ceasar, or not?

But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, Why do you tempt Me, hypocrites? Show Me the coin for the tribute. And they brought Him a danarius.

And He said to them, Whose is this image and inscription? They said, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Render then the things that are Caesar's to Caesar and the things that are God's to God." (Matthew 22:17-22)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree