1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 00:352 edits
    As well as being anointed by God and made King of Israel, David is stated as being "a man after God's heart" (words to that effect), and yet he was a backslider, a murderer and an adulterer, amongst other things.

Grace, favouritism or what?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 01:412 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As well as being anointed by God and made King of Israel, David is stated as being "a man after God's heart" (words to that effect), and yet he was a backslider, a murderer and an adulterer, amongst other things.

Well at the beginning of the story of David, what do we see? We see a rudy youth who is nothing more than a shepherd. Of course, he was not just any shepherd. In fact, he put his life on the line to protect his sheep using merely a sling shot and his faith in God against large animals that could have killed him. LIkewise, this is how Christ is described to us in the gospels. He too was a shepherd who put his life on the line to save his flock. We also know David to have played musical instruments and worship God in the fields. In fact, later on king Saul sought his musical abilities to sooth his torchered soul. Through this we get the sense of the great love David had for his God. I am always reminded of how David danced before the masses unashamidly and unbridled simply to worship his God without regard for his own dignity. Of course, the defining moment in his life was when Goliath defied Israel and, more importatnly, defied the God of David whom he placed his faith in over the years and whom he loved. He ran to face the giant when no one else in Israel had faith to do so.

So what happened to David for him to backslide? I suppose we can speculate. Perhaps it was the corrupting influence of power? Perhaps it as the corrupting influence of his own sexual lust? Perhaps it was a combination of both? However, when confronted with his sin by the prophet Nathan, we see a man broken and whole heartidly given over to repentance. He did not so much as try to defend his actions nor did he ponder even repenting.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 02:41

David's huge failing is his relationship with Bathsheba. Were this story not included in the story of his life, one might have thought him virtually perfect. Yet through all this David always repented and felt remorse for his wrong doing...a repentant heart goes a long way with God.

When we are quick to judge the actions of someone, remember David, a man after God’s own heart, and the evil he was capable of. I think God wants us to read these hard stories, so that we can avoid these pitfalls, and when we can't... how we should respond.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 08:06
    David's life is one of my favourite pieces of the bible alongside Jonah. David WAS favoured of God because he had a heart after God irrespective of his crimes which as you say he sincerely repented of. It is a great example of God's 'mercy triumphing over judgement' even in apparently extreme circumstances.

God knows the beginning from the end in all things - he knew David's sin even when he favoured him and saw him protecting his sheep. Christ's sacrifice is indeed timeless, and thank God for his mercy and grace.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 10:31
    David's life is one of my favourite pieces of the bible alongside Jonah. David WAS favoured of God because he had a heart after God irrespective of his crimes which as you say he sincerely repented of. It is a great example of God's 'mercy triumphing over judgement' even in apparently extreme circumstances.

God knows the beginning from the end in ...[text shortened]... his sheep. Christ's sacrifice is indeed timeless, and thank God for his mercy and grace.
    I also love the Jonah story, its sarcastic, witty, sad, triumphant and more....so much more. This little book in the OT packs a huge theological punch.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 02:142 edits

God knows the beginning from the end in his sheep. Christ's sacrifice is indeed timeless, and thank God for his mercy and grace.
    I think you are missing a little bit here when you say that God favored David. Although he may have "favored" David, God is said not to be a respecter of persons. Case in point is the horrible judgement that was passed down on him for his sin. Yes he was forgiven and yes he was still favored, but he had to pay for his sin regardless of these facts. His sons then rose up one by one to oppose them as he stood by helpless to watch them each be slain one at a time for their rebellion who were his pride and his joy and his life. So as I say he may have been "favored" but not treated any differently than any of us so as not to have to pay for his sin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree