1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 09:02
    Originally posted by xpoferens
    In my humble opinion, if you interpret the days in Genesis 1 as literal days, no question remains, since in seven (six) days everything was created.
    I think you mean, 'if you disengage your brain and stop thinking or questioning then there are no questions remaining.' .

Blind faith is not a substitute for scientific rigour.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 09:57
    Originally posted by xpoferens
    [b]"for some reason the cycle of choice for the people living in the Middle east at that time."

Quite frankly, I think the reason is before your eyes.

"Writing the Genesis account with this cycle intact would then make sense."

Naturally.

In my humble opinion, if you interpret the days in Genesis 1 as literal days, no question remains, since in seven (six) days everything was created.

Take care[/b]
    And what might the reason be then, since I'm not seeing it.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 10:57
    I give you the words of Cardinal Ratzinger:

According to the widely accepted scientific account, the universe erupted 15 billion years ago in an explosion called the 'Big Bang' and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Later there gradually emerged the conditions necessary for the formation of atoms, still later the condensation of galaxies and stars, and about 10 billion years later the formation of planets. In our own solar system and on earth (formed about 4.5 billion years ago), the conditions have been favorable to the emergence of life. While there is little consensus among scientists about how the origin of this first microscopic life is to be explained, there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5 - 4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution. While the story of human origins is complex and subject to revision, physical anthropology and molecular biology combine to make a convincing case for the origin of the human species in Africa about 150,000 years ago in a humanoid population of common genetic lineage. However it is to be explained, the decisive factor in human origins was a continually increasing brain size, culminating in that of homo sapiens. With the development of the human brain, the nature and rate of evolution were permanently altered: with the introduction of the uniquely human factors of consciousness, intentionality, freedom and creativity, biological evolution was recast as social and cultural evolution."
  4. Joined
    07 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 11:07
    Hello all,

Looks like a deep discussion in this area. Perhaps I can offer a slightly different view. As pertaining to the question of the physical length of a day and merging "natural science" with biblical interpretation; I believe we can find some truth. In my studies of creation science I have found that the current 24 hour day was less than 24 hours in the past.

The Earth is currently turning at a rate of 996 mph (rough, not exact) on its axis and is constantly decreasing in speed. Every year a tic is added to the international clock in order to comphensate (ie: leap years, etc...). Using this simple formula: if the Earths rotation is constantly decreasing on its axis one can speculate that in the past the rotation was at an increased rate of speed.

So if in the past the Earth turned faster on its axis the day would be shorter in length. Meaning that God would have had even less than a week (by current standards), to make it all happen. But then again if God is God, that should be no biggie for Him...lol.

In addition, one must go back 7000 years in time in order to find out the total length of a Genesis day. Using the constant rate of depriciation of the speed of the turning of the Earths axis you can find the hourly measurement of the Genesis day.

For more info on this go to: www.drdino.com and order the companion studies.

Shalom, Pastor Roland 🙂
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 11:12
    Originally posted by axiom
    Hello all,

Looks like a deep discussion in this area. Perhaps I can offer a slightly different view. As pertaining to the question of the physical length of a day and merging "natural science" with biblical interpretation; I believe we can find some truth. In my studies of creation science I have found that the current 24 hour day was less than 24 hours in ...[text shortened]... nfo on this go to: www.drdino.com and order the companion studies.

Shalom, Pastor Roland 🙂
    Oh Lordy, A Dr. Dino supporter. So what do you think of Dr. Dino's stance on the IRS as opposed to Jesus's stance on taxation (render unto Caesar &c.)?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 13:404 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think you mean, 'if you disengage your brain and stop thinking or questioning then there are no questions remaining.' .

Blind faith is not a substitute for scientific rigour.
    Likewise, scientific rigour is no substitute for faith. I think you mean, 'If you disengage your heart and soul and stop feeling and only engage what you can understand scientifically then all your questions will be answered.' Faith has and does play a vital role in our human experience as does science. Ignore it if you like.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 21:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith has and does play a vital role in our human experience
    I can assure you that's not true.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 22:30
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I can assure you that's not true.
    Sounds like a statement of faith.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 00:16
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Sounds like a statement of faith.
    No, it's a statement of knowledge.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 00:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No, it's a statement of knowledge.
    Based on your faith that the information is reliable, or even that your decisions are to be trusted. Ever do something stupid?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 02:47
    Originally posted by amannion
    This is an interesting question:

are there in fact any 7 day cycles in nature?

I can't think of any, although that doesn't mean much.
    I'm guessing that a seven day cycle was for some reason the cycle of choice for the people living in the Middle east at that time.
    Writing the Genesis account with this cycle intact would then make sense.

But still, the question remains. Why 7 days?
    Interesting.
    Read the fifth tablet of the Enuma Elish

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree