1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 16:58
    Originally posted by Darfius
    What gives society that basis? And how is it wrong rather than simply not beneficial? Eating ice cream rather than vegetables is not beneficial. But is it wrong?
    Basically, you are asking for a definition of right and wrong. There is no difference between the terms non-beneficial and wrong. The essence is in the scale and subjective application.

Eating ice cream is wrong in terms of diet, health etc. It offers no benefit and as such can be seen as wrong. Society accepts this wrong doing as the scale of wrong doing is so small and it's subjective application is practically unmeasureable to society's evolution as a whole.

Killing a million people is wrong in terms of human rights, etc. It offers no benefit and as such can be seen as wrong. Society does not accept this wrong doing, as the scale of wrong doing is large enough and it's subjective application is undeniable to society's evolution.

Please remember that I do not believe in the concept of sin, I see right and wrong as product of the benefit, or lack thereof to society.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 17:03
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Basically, you are asking for a definition of right and wrong. There is no difference between the terms non-beneficial and wrong. The essence is in the scale and subjective application.

Eating ice cream is wrong in terms of diet, health etc. It offers no benefit and as such can be seen as wrong. Society accepts this wrong doing as the scale of wron ...[text shortened]... the concept of sin, I see right and wrong as product of the benefit, or lack thereof to society.
    If earth becomes over populated one day and there is no way to feed everyone, and yet everyone wants the same food, is murder justifiable?
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 17:14
    If earth becomes over populated one day and there is no way to feed everyone, and yet everyone wants the same food, is murder justifiable?
    So at some point the situation will be either that people will die of starvation, or that people kill others to ensure their survival. You are suggesting a very extreme situation, which seems unlikely to occur, but let us consider it for a moment.

As the survival of the human race is more threatened, I would suggest that the scale and the subjective application at which we assess situations, morals etc. (as I suggested in my last post), would change accordingly. At some point it will be in each person's mind whether or not that scale has shifted sufficiently to warrant killing for survival. At what point that may be, I cannot say, but if it really is a case of kill or be killed than the survival of society as a whole would be more important than the retention of a previous moral code which is now redundant as it is not benefitting society.

I may point out that I am trying to think of how this would affect the people in that situation, not how it affects me sitting here at the moment. At the moment I retain the assumed scale of morals and the subjective application of them that I have always had and consider killing wrong. If however I was put in that situation in the future, unlikely as it might be, I would have to reassess my moral code based on the apparent factors thereof. Is this clear?
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 17:16
    So at some point the situation will be either that people will die of starvation, or that people kill others to ensure their survival. You are suggesting a very extreme situation, which seems unlikely to occur, but let us consider it for a moment.

As the survival of the human race is more threatened, I would suggest that the scale and the subjective a ...[text shortened]... e, I would have to reassess my moral code based on the apparent factors thereof. Is this clear?
    It's clear that you're avoiding the question.

Would it be right or wrong?
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 19:26
    It's clear that you're avoiding the question.

Would it be right or wrong?
    I thought we were having a civil debate, I have promised to behave, I would have expected you to reciprocate.

I have not avoided the question at all, reading it back thorugh I believe I have answered it fully. However, I shall restate my premise in more concise terms.

Survival is of paramount importance to the human race. I think we can agree on this, yes? As this survival is threatened, the competition for resources (in this case food) will intensify. People will have to decide whether to be kill or be killed. The abandonment of the moral code will come long before an abandonment of the desire to live. So in that situation there will come a point where it is not wrong to kill, it is an absolute necessity, to ensure the continuance of the human race.

So in terms of my previous definition of wrong being anything non-beneficial to society, no, killing in this situation would not be wrong. Are you content that I have now answered the question, or would you like me to explain anything further?

I'd like to take this moment to point out that you appear to be just asking me questions without presenting any rebuttal of my points. I would like to hear your views on the matter as I am eager for this debate to be constructive. 🙂
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:46
    I thought we were having a civil debate, I have promised to behave, I would have expected you to reciprocate.

I have not avoided the question at all, reading it back thorugh I believe I have answered it fully. However, I shall restate my premise in more concise terms.

Survival is of paramount importance to the human race. I think we can agree on t ...[text shortened]... would like to hear your views on the matter as I am eager for this debate to be constructive. 🙂
    My questions are my rebuttals. Look up the term, they needn't be statements to be rebuttals.

I am being civil. I just do not like people ignoring or attempting to circumvent my questions.

If it came to survival, I and any other born again would choose to die rather than murder someone else. How do you explain this overriding of the instinct to survive?

If you and a friend were starving in a desert, would you kill and eat your friend?

7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 12:31
    My questions are my rebuttals. Look up the term, they needn't be statements to be rebuttals.

I am being civil. I just do not like people ignoring or attempting to circumvent my questions.

If it came to survival, I and any other born again would choose to die rather than murder someone else. How do you explain this overriding of the instinct to survive?

If you and a friend were starving in a desert, would you kill and eat your friend?

Right, sorry, I wasn't around yesterday, apologies for the delay.

Firstly, I was not circumventing your questions in any way.

Now to the debate at hand, I am not well versed in psychology, but I would guess that your claim on self sacrfice is dependant on the belief that you will be saved even if you die. If neither you, nor the other born again resorted to killing each other, you would both die of starvation, but since you hold the belief that you will be resurrected in heaven, this is not really so surprising.

Theoretically, if a friend and I were starving in the desert, and the only way of survival was for one of us to kill the other, then it would inevitably happen. Which one of us it would be I cannot say, this depends on which of us was stronger, had the largest will for survival etc. The point is that morally I would not have a problem with the idea of this in this particular situation. You believe in life after death, I do not, for me survival in this life is quite literally vital. As I have mentioned before, a moral code is dependant on the situation at hand. Under normal conditions I would obviously never kill, but when my very survival is in question the line is crossed.

It is also worth noting that neither of us can be truly sure what we would do in such a situation as we have no experience of such a thing. Either of us might act entirely differently, there is no way of really knowing, but in terms of theorising, what I have said above is my best guess at how I would react.

I would like to return to the original debate. We have still yet to examine your claim that Atheism has killed more people than religion. Would you like to offer any evidence for this claim? At the moment, I believe I have demonstrated that Atheism in itself cannot be the reason for killing, there must be some belief in the mind of killers that justifies the action. However, let us assume that, just for the moment, Atheism was the cause, do you have any evidence of the many more deaths in its name to compare with the many deaths in religions name?

I look forward to your reply.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 17:50
    Right, sorry, I wasn't around yesterday, apologies for the delay.

No worries. 🙂

Firstly, I was not circumventing your questions in any way.

Sorry, it appeared that way.

Now to the debate at hand, I am not well versed in psychology, but I would guess that your claim on self sacrfice is dependant on the belief that you will be saved even if you die. If neither you, nor the other born again resorted to killing each other, you would both die of starvation, but since you hold the belief that you will be resurrected in heaven, this is not really so surprising.

Not so surprising? Are you aware of how painful a death starvation is? It is one of the worst deaths a person can undertake. It is up to you to explain how a Christian could deny his or her body its basic needs simply through faith.

Theoretically, if a friend and I were starving in the desert, and the only way of survival was for one of us to kill the other, then it would inevitably happen. Which one of us it would be I cannot say, this depends on which of us was stronger, had the largest will for survival etc. The point is that morally I would not have a problem with the idea of this in this particular situation. You believe in life after death, I do not, for me survival in this life is quite literally vital. As I have mentioned before, a moral code is dependant on the situation at hand. Under normal conditions I would obviously never kill, but when my very survival is in question the line is crossed.

I see. That's pretty scary. Remind me never to get lost with you in the desert. 😉

It is also worth noting that neither of us can be truly sure what we would do in such a situation as we have no experience of such a thing. Either of us might act entirely differently, there is no way of really knowing, but in terms of theorising, what I have said above is my best guess at how I would react.

It is not a theory. I simply wouldn't and couldn't do it.

I would like to return to the original debate. We have still yet to examine your claim that Atheism has killed more people than religion. Would you like to offer any evidence for this claim? At the moment, I believe I have demonstrated that Atheism in itself cannot be the reason for killing, there must be some belief in the mind of killers that justifies the action. However, let us assume that, just for the moment, Atheism was the cause, do you have any evidence of the many more deaths in its name to compare with the many deaths in religions name?

Have I claimed atheism is the reason for killing? I don't think so. I believe my claim was that atheism offered justification for killing. With that being the case, I put forth the names of Hitler, Mao and Stalin.

Hitler killed six million Jews.
    Stalin killed 10 million of his own people.
    Mao killed a grand total of 60 million of his own.

All justified this with atheism. Human life doesn't matter if it's for the greater good.

I look forward to your reply.[/b]
  9. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 17:541 edit
    EDITED: Sorry to intrude, guys. I will save my original post for a different thread.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Mar '05 20:29
    Not so surprising? Are you aware of how painful a death starvation is? It is one of the worst deaths a person can undertake. It is up to you to explain how a Christian could deny his or her body its basic needs simply through faith.

Sorry, that's not exactly what I meant. I meant to say that your faith would stop you from killing your friend and that presumeably he too would reciprocate. However, I do believe that the faith you have in your god is a comfort in such a situation and if the option to kill or to die is all you have, you must conceed that ultimately it is your faith that decides which you choose. There is no small irony in the survival of the Atheist over the Christian in this scenario, especially if the very survival of the species is at hand. I would like to return to this dilemma later if you would like to.

I see. That's pretty scary. Remind me never to get lost with you in the desert. 😉

You're safe there, I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen 🙂

It is not a theory. I simply wouldn't and couldn't do it.

I am glad you feel so sure about this. Peronally, I am less absolute about what I might do in a situation of this sort, I cannot imagine what the pressure of impending starvation might be, especially if the human race was truly endangered. I guess that the loss of nutrients would eventually cause a change in body chemistry and therefore emotions, anyone would probably become more irational and irritated as starvation approached. Your body might even push you over the edge, despite your best intentions, fights might break out, madness would probably set in. Would you defend yourself if your friend snapped and attacked you?

Have I claimed atheism is the reason for killing? I don't think so. I believe my claim was that atheism offered justification for killing. With that being the case, I put forth the names of Hitler, Mao and Stalin.

Hitler killed six million Jews.
    Stalin killed 10 million of his own people.
    Mao killed a grand total of 60 million of his own.

All justified this with atheism. Human life doesn't matter if it's for the greater good.

Well, your original sentence, in response to a claim on the number of deaths in the name of religion was actually 'Atheism as a code of beliefs has killed far more people', so technically you did. This was also why I originally wished to start this debate. However, let's assume that you meant to say that Atheism has been the justification for the deaths of these millions.

I would like to clarify your figures, but I am prepared to say that they are obviously in the millions and therefore should be allowed to stand. 1 million dead is just as senseless as 60 million dead. So assuming that the amount of death is severe enough, regardless of accuracy, what evidence do you have for Atheism actually being the claimed reason for these deaths?
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 03:31
    I am glad you feel so sure about this. Peronally, I am less absolute about what I might do in a situation of this sort, I cannot imagine what the pressure of impending starvation might be, especially if the human race was truly endangered. I guess that the loss of nutrients would eventually cause a change in body chemistry and therefore emotions, anyone would probably become more irational and irritated as starvation approached. Your body might even push you over the edge, despite your best intentions, fights might break out, madness would probably set in. Would you defend yourself if your friend snapped and attacked you?

Yes, but not with lethal force.

I would like to clarify your figures, but I am prepared to say that they are obviously in the millions and therefore should be allowed to stand. 1 million dead is just as senseless as 60 million dead. So assuming that the amount of death is severe enough, regardless of accuracy, what evidence do you have for Atheism actually being the claimed reason for these deaths?

You're right, I was off on the figures:

-Mao (atheist) 75 million
    -Stalin (atheist) 40 million
    -Hitler (atheist) 6-9 million

http://www.separation-refuted.com/_wsn/page2.html

They all embraced Darwin's evolution and became atheists. Hitler was trying to eradicate the lesser races. Stalin (also a follower of Marx's anti-religion ideals) though religion was the opiate of the masses. Mao, too, thought this and sponsored evolution through the state.

There harsh policies and actions came as a direct result of their lack of a belief in a Divine Judge.

http://www.fixedearth.com/hlsm.html
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 10:22
    You're right, I was off on the figures:

-Mao (atheist) 75 million
    -Stalin (atheist) 40 million
    -Hitler (atheist) 6-9 million

http://www.separation-refuted.com/_wsn/page2.html

I have also done some research on these and certainly the figure for Stalin is wrong. As the total death rate in Russia from all causes during the years Stalin was in power was less than 40 million. This sheds some doubt on the validity of your figures for the others. However, like I said I shall ignore the actual numbers, they are not important here.

They all embraced Darwin's evolution and became atheists.

You are confusing Atheism with Darwinism and the two are totally seperate things. An Atheist need not agree with Darwinism and a Darwinist may not be an Atheist. I agree the two are often stances taken in combination, but to use the term Atheist to cover people to whom Darwin's theories are important is grossly over generalising. Atheism, as I originally stated, is a lack of belief and as such does not preclude the holding other beliefs, unless those beliefs are in direct conflict with the nature of Atheism. So being an Atheist does not stop me from being a Darwinist, this is true, but it also does not stop me from disagreeing with Darwin. All Atheism says is there is no god. It does not claim to say how life came into being.

Hitler was trying to eradicate the lesser races. Stalin (also a follower of Marx's anti-religion ideals) though religion was the opiate of the masses. Mao, too, thought this and sponsored evolution through the state.

I agree that these people had very definite beliefs on religion, but it was not their supposed Atheism that was the problem. They were corrupt, possibly psychologically imbalanced, power hungry men. Whether they were Atheists or not has no baring on the attrocities they carried out. It may have been claimed that Atheism was the reason, but this claim is pure nonsense. Atheism is a denial of god, not a reason for killing.

There harsh policies and actions came as a direct result of their lack of a belief in a Divine Judge.

http://www.fixedearth.com/hlsm.html

This I cannot agree with on any level, you have yet to offer any evidence for the lack of divine judgement nullifying the moral codes of humans. I read with interest the website link you offered here and the writer has a great deal to learn about both politics and atheism. They constantly throw definition out of the window, replacing the word Darwinism for Atheism, and then use that change to back up further speculative arguements on unrelated actions. It is a badly reasoned piece of writing that offers no demonstrative evidence for what it is claiming and attempts to encourage emotional thinking over reason from the first few paragraphs:

What a person believes to be true about the Origins of all that is (mankind included), absolutely and without a doubt colors that individual’s philosophy of life in all its aspects. Very little thought on the part of anyone able to think at all will confirm that statement.

In fact, so patently obvious is the truth of that statement, that one must marvel that any understanding of any individual in any walk of life would be attempted without letting it be plainly known what their beliefs were (and are) about the origins of man and all else.

These are strong emotive statements that do not set out any premise on the actual subject, but rather encourage emotion to rise. It then goes on to grossly simplify the divisions in belief, adding an extra part to the definition of Atheism, which is plainly unrelated. As well as ridiculing the beliefs of others without offering anything other than specualtive opinion to back up its statements.

Narrowing down those beliefs about origins, we can conclude that they are basically three in number: 1) Atheism. No God. Energy and Matter created all that exists over billions of years. 2) Theistic Evolutionism. There is a god, but he created everything thru evolutionary processes. (These folks fall into two broad categories: a) Some walk hand in hand with the atheist back to the alleged appearance of the first germ, which they then allow god to have created some three billion years ago to kick-start the evolution process. These discount the Bible and its miracles.) b) Others hang on to some of the Bible but believe “science” has proven Darwinism (and Copernicanism, of course, you idiot!), but hopefully a resurrection and heaven of some sort is in the cards...or at least some kind of reincarnation where one can keep on going as a bug or a rock or something). 3) Creationism. God (Allah to many) created everything in six days about 6000 years ago and has an eternal, blissful creation in store on a New Earth for a multitude without number who meet His rather modest criteria.

As such I think it is a poor addition to your arguement. Darwinism may have been a factor in the creation of these killer's psychology, but in its true form, Darwinism does not encourage killing, or give a follower of Darwinian principle the right to abandon a moral code. These leaders abandoned their moral standards for reasons which are not set out in either the study of Darwinism, or Atheism. They were wrong. The fact that they may have claimed to be following either of these theories is nonsense, what they were following was a twisted amoral delusion of self justification using these theories.

I as an Atheist do not condone killing or the abandonment of a moral code, Atheism does not demand that people must follow either Darwin, or be amoral, or even be angry against religion. All these things are seperate beliefs which must be justified in other ways.

Atheism is simply denying god exists, it is not justification for anything else.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 19:40
    I have also done some research on these and certainly the figure for Stalin is wrong. As the total death rate in Russia from all causes during the years Stalin was in power was less than 40 million. This sheds some doubt on the validity of your figures for the others. However, like I said I shall ignore the actual numbers, they are not important here.

Perhaps the Stalin number is in doubt, but Mao and Hitler aren't. And of course the numbers matter, as my claim is that Atheism has killed more people than religion. It appears these numbers may have caught you off guard and you're trying to downplay their importance.

You are confusing Atheism with Darwinism and the two are totally seperate things. An Atheist need not agree with Darwinism and a Darwinist may not be an Atheist. I agree the two are often stances taken in combination, but to use the term Atheist to cover people to whom Darwin's theories are important is grossly over generalising. Atheism, as I originally stated, is a lack of belief and as such does not preclude the holding other beliefs, unless those beliefs are in direct conflict with the nature of Atheism. So being an Atheist does not stop me from being a Darwinist, this is true, but it also does not stop me from disagreeing with Darwin. All Atheism says is there is no god. It does not claim to say how life came into being.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm telling you why they said they became atheists. They studied Darwin and determined a god was not necessary. The rest of your statement is unnecessary by proxy.

I agree that these people had very definite beliefs on religion, but it was not their supposed Atheism that was the problem. They were corrupt, possibly psychologically imbalanced, power hungry men. Whether they were Atheists or not has no baring on the attrocities they carried out. It may have been claimed that Atheism was the reason, but this claim is pure nonsense. Atheism is a denial of god, not a reason for killing.

I wonder why you say "supposed", as if I would lie, or as if it wasn't historically accurate. These men were bold and proud atheists. I have no doubt they were corrupt or power hungry, but psychologically imbalanced? Now you're introducing outside variables to make atheism less of a culprit, which is quite unprofessional. So even though they claim atheism was what drove them to do what they did, we should ignore them? Why is it we cannot do the same for the "Christians" who killed people? Your double standard is rather disturbing. No, I will have to take these men at their word, and they said that atheism allowed room for murder if it served a greater purpose. It was directly the cause for millions of people's horrible deaths.

In fact, after reviewing this information in detail, I've come to the conclusion that atheists pose a serious threat to the stability of mankind. Their morals change as it suits them, and people who have a set moral code are in danger, frankly. Oh, I do not think you are a threat, Starrman, because you seem to be disillusioned enough to believe that your morals ARE set. That gives me a measure of comfort, but as we can plainly see, these men did not agree, and since there is no higher authority to set you all straight, it seems there are factions of atheists who disdain murder and those who embrace it. There really is no way to get around this fact.

This I cannot agree with on any level, you have yet to offer any evidence for the lack of divine judgement nullifying the moral codes of humans. I read with interest the website link you offered here and the writer has a great deal to learn about both politics and atheism. They constantly throw definition out of the window, replacing the word Darwinism for Atheism, and then use that change to back up further speculative arguements on unrelated actions. It is a badly reasoned piece of writing that offers no demonstrative evidence for what it is claiming and attempts to encourage emotional thinking over reason from the first few paragraphs:

What a person believes to be true about the Origins of all that is (mankind included), absolutely and without a doubt colors that individual’s philosophy of life in all its aspects. Very little thought on the part of anyone able to think at all will confirm that statement.

In fact, so patently obvious is the truth of that statement, that one must marvel that any understanding of any individual in any walk of life would be attempted without letting it be plainly known what their beliefs were (and are) about the origins of man and all else.

These are strong emotive statements that do not set out any premise on the actual subject, but rather encourage emotion to rise. It then goes on to grossly simplify the divisions in belief, adding an extra part to the definition of Atheism, which is plainly unrelated. As well as ridiculing the beliefs of others without offering anything other than specualtive opinion to back up its statements.

Narrowing down those beliefs about origins, we can conclude that they are basically three in number: 1) Atheism. No God. Energy and Matter created all that exists over billions of years. 2) Theistic Evolutionism. There is a god, but he created everything thru evolutionary processes. (These folks fall into two broad categories: a) Some walk hand in hand with the atheist back to the alleged appearance of the first germ, which they then allow god to have created some three billion years ago to kick-start the evolution process. These discount the Bible and its miracles.) b) Others hang on to some of the Bible but believe “science” has proven Darwinism (and Copernicanism, of course, you idiot!), but hopefully a resurrection and heaven of some sort is in the cards...or at least some kind of reincarnation where one can keep on going as a bug or a rock or something). 3) Creationism. God (Allah to many) created everything in six days about 6000 years ago and has an eternal, blissful creation in store on a New Earth for a multitude without number who meet His rather modest criteria.

As such I think it is a poor addition to your arguement. Darwinism may have been a factor in the creation of these killer's psychology, but in its true form, Darwinism does not encourage killing, or give a follower of Darwinian principle the right to abandon a moral code. These leaders abandoned their moral standards for reasons which are not set out in either the study of Darwinism, or Atheism. They were wrong. The fact that they may have claimed to be following either of these theories is nonsense, what they were following was a twisted amoral delusion of self justification using these theories.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid all I've seen so far is your opinion. These men embraced atheism and publically stated that their atrocities were a result of atheism, and that they served a greater good. Why should I take your opinion over theirs? I believe it is up to you to give me a reason NOT to believe their atheism was the cause of their crimes. Perhaps you could point me to a single religious figure who has murdered en masse in such a way and who blamed it on his religion. Then your claim would make sense, but until then, I shall blame atheism, and rightly so, since it was the thread that held these three together.

I as an Atheist do not condone killing or the abandonment of a moral code, Atheism does not demand that people must follow either Darwin, or be amoral, or even be angry against religion. All these things are seperate beliefs which must be justified in other ways.

Atheism is simply denying god exists, it is not justification for anything else.

Again, your opinion matters very little in a debate. And I'm afraid these are not seperate things. Atheism is a rejection of a higher authority, and a rejection of a higher authority is an admission that you are your own judge and jury. Such a belief is dangerous, as we clearly see, and your argument that society judges you clearly is not a good enough deterrent when you have a large enough army and high enough ambitions.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 21:041 edit
    Perhaps the Stalin number is in doubt, but Mao and Hitler aren't. And of course the numbers matter, as my claim is that Atheism has killed more people than religion. It appears these numbers may have caught you off guard and you're trying to downplay their importance.

As I have stated before, the numbers are irrelevant, it is obvious that these attrocities are way in excess of anything else. The nature of this debate was never how many people had been killed, but whether it was Atheism that was the cause. They have not thrown me in the slightest, they are just not of any real relevance. Even if I concede they are true and that they are in excess of deaths in the name of religion, it still remains for us to decide if it was Atheism that was the cause. This is why I entered into debate with you, not to haggle over numbers.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm telling you why they said they became atheists. They studied Darwin and determined a god was not necessary. The rest of your statement is unnecessary by proxy.

This is incorrect. My statement remains valid until you prove whether they actually claimed that Darwinism lead them to Atheism, something you have yet to do. And even if you do manage to achieve this, you must acknowledge that Atheism is not the reason they killed people as it is nothing more than a denial god exists. All other beliefs, such as 'Jews should be irradicated' are superflous to the definition of Atheism. Your insistance that these different beliefs are inextricably linked is not evidence that they are.

I wonder why you say "supposed", as if I would lie, or as if it wasn't historically accurate.

I did not mean to infer this as a slur on you, my apologies, although I am unconvinced as of yet, on the historical accuracy.

These men were bold and proud atheists. I have no doubt they were corrupt or power hungry, but psychologically imbalanced? Now you're introducing outside variables to make atheism less of a culprit, which is quite unprofessional.

I am doing no such thing, I am merely demonstrating that there is the possibility of other factors to consider. If you have no doubt they were corrupt and power hungry, why is it so hard to believe there may have been psychological imbalances present too? I am not claiming there are, I have no proof. I am merely saying the possiblity remains.

So even though they claim atheism was what drove them to do what they did, we should ignore them?

Of course not, but just because they claim it is so, does not mean that it is. As I have shown by the agreed definition of Atheism, it cannot be the source for other motives.

Why is it we cannot do the same for the "Christians" who killed people?

We can and I am sure you would be the first to say that these Christians were not real Christians at all. I have no problem with this. You stated that Atheism as a code of belief was responsible for death, not that Hitler, Stalin and Mao used Atheism as an excuse for their killing. I would say they are wrong to do so, just as you would say a supposed Christian would be wrong to use his religion as an excuse to kill.

Your double standard is rather disturbing.

As I have explained, there is no double standard here.

No, I will have to take these men at their word, and they said that atheism allowed room for murder if it served a greater purpose. It was directly the cause for millions of people's horrible deaths.

And I would say that they were wrong to do so. I shall state again that Atheism is a lack of belief in god, nothing more.

In fact, after reviewing this information in detail, I've come to the conclusion that atheists pose a serious threat to the stability of mankind.

Please explain your reasoning for this and what danger you mean.

Their morals change as it suits them, and people who have a set moral code are in danger, frankly.

They do not do any such thing. A moral code is subject to change as the pressures of life and society change. Not as the individual chooses. Anyone that changes his or her moral code based on their own wants is wrong to do so. This is the path to madness and being a monster.

Oh, I do not think you are a threat, Starrman, because you seem to be disillusioned enough to believe that your morals ARE set.

I would be thankful to you if you would take this veiled insult back, we should not be in the business of such behaviour. I am neither disillusioned, nor is my threat or lack of it, of any importance in this debate. Thank you.

That gives me a measure of comfort, but as we can plainly see, these men did not agree, and since there is no higher authority to set you all straight, it seems there are factions of atheists who disdain murder and those who embrace it.

The presence of a higher authority still does not guarantee adherence to a moral code. People had morals well before Christianity came along and adhered to them. If they did not believe in god, how is it they managed this? What factions of Atheists are you talking about?

There really is no way to get around this fact.

This is not fact.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid all I've seen so far is your opinion. These men embraced atheism and publically stated that their atrocities were a result of atheism, and that they served a greater good. Why should I take your opinion over theirs? I believe it is up to you to give me a reason NOT to believe their atheism was the cause of their crimes.

Their crimes are horrendous and vast, but the cause was not Atheism. Atheism is a lack of belief in god, nothing more. It cannot be used as justification for murder anymore than religion could.

Perhaps you could point me to a single religious figure who has murdered en masse in such a way and who blamed it on his religion. Then your claim would make sense, but until then, I shall blame atheism, and rightly so, since it was the thread that held these three together.

Despite agreeing a definition of Atheism, you refuse to adhere to the implications of that definition. It does not stretch to the justification of anything. It is a state of denial.

Again, your opinion matters very little in a debate.

It is the very essence of debate and of utmost importance, as is your opinion. If we did not offer opinion, the facts would speak for themselves and there would be no need for debate.

And I'm afraid these are not seperate things. Atheism is a rejection of a higher authority, and a rejection of a higher authority is an admission that you are your own judge and jury.

It is no such thing, I am not my own judge and jury, society and my peers serve this purpose.

Such a belief is dangerous, as we clearly see,

Clearly is not a word I would use here, you have yet to offer any evidence that Atheism is dangerous. All you have shown so far is that 3 mass murders claimed to be atheists. The two things are not inclusive.

and your argument that society judges you clearly is not a good enough deterrent when you have a large enough army and high enough ambitions.

The notion of a deterrent is immaterial to this debate. Plenty of people claiming to be Christians have commited murder and they supposedly have a judge and jury to answer to. It does not stop them from committing the crime. It is not the prevention of such things that is important and if you think that, were the whole world to become Christian there would be no murder, you are being naive.

15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 21:10
    We can and I am sure you would be the first to say that these Christians were not real Christians at all.
    This is the big escape clause. When people kill 'in the name of
    Christ,' you can claim that they aren't 'truly' Christian.

Well, that's a bogus argument. While, yes, they aren't adhering to
    Christian moral law by killing (against the 'Code of Ethics'😉, they are
    doing so 'in nomine Christi.' Whether it is proper or not is irrelevant;
    they believed it proper.

By this argument, there are no Christians, because to remain in Christ
    one must be without sin -- but, according to Christian doctrine, no one
    is without sin.

It's absurd!

Many, many, many people were (erronously) killed in the name of
    Christ. To deny this because they weren't 'true believers' is an utter
    cop out.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree