1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 16:47
    This week Suzianne claimed that she was a “liberal” christian and I said that I was too. She berated me and refused to accept that I was indeed a liberal Christian.

So, who here would describe themselves as a “liberal Christian” and if we disagree on the definition, then how do we know?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 16:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    This week Suzianne claimed that she was a “liberal” christian and I said that I was too. She berated me and refused to accept that I was indeed a liberal Christian.

So, who here would describe themselves as a “liberal Christian” and if we disagree on the definition, then how do we know?
    Suzianne has stated that she does not agree with abortion, yet, at the same time she's pro choice. I don't think one can have it both ways.

Liberal Christian here seems more interested in women's rights than what God may feel about the issue of abortion.
  3. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:134 edits
    Liberal Christian

Common usage (and technically wrong): A Christian that is a Liberal on the political spectrum.

Technical usage: A proponent of Liberal Christian Theology. Roughly this is "red letter" theology that embraces the teachings of Christ but ignores, if not outright rejects much of the rest of the bible. The bible is seen as errant and corrupted. Most if not all Liberal Christians believe in evolution which obviously means a near complete rejection of the book of Genesis. An old friend of mine, a Liberal Christian and author, said basically a Liberal Christian believes in the spirit of Christ's message, and is not tethered to any specific words or verses of the bible, and is hostile to just about all of the Old Testament teachings (specifically laws)--not attributing much of any of it to the Creator.

I read once that the vast majority of seminaries in the USA teach some form of Liberal Christian Theology.

My biggest problem with Liberal Christian Theology is the slippery slope. If much, or even some of the bible is corrupted and untrustworthy... how do any of us know where to draw the line? Might as well pitch the book into the trashcan and embrace agnosticism.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:181 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Liberal Christian

Common usage (and technically wrong): A Christian that is a Liberal on the political spectrum.

Technical usage: A proponent of Liberal Christian Theology. Roughly this is "red letter" theology that embraces the teachings of Christ but ignores, if not outright rejects much of the rest of the bible. The bible is seen as errant a ...[text shortened]... where to draw the line? Might as well pitch the book into the trashcan and embrace agnosticism.
    So those corrupt liberal Christians should be flogged for daring to believe evolution is correct and we did evolve from early apes?

Are we now going to do William Jennings Bryant all over again? New monkey trials but this time the anti evolutionists win and therefore can force creationism to be taught as if it were some kind of actual science in a science classroom, kick out that cursed evolution crap, just teach the real deal, creationism?

You reinforce my personal stance, I want freedom FROM religion not freedom OF religion. I want to be on a planet where there are not Hindu's killing Muslims, Muslims killing Christians, Christians killing everyone all of the above in the name of a non-existent or totally absent god, either way we are on our own as humans and live and die by our own petards and prejudices.

There will be no get out of extinction card when the last 10 humans walk on Earth, whenever that is, a thousand years hence, ten thousand, a million, whatever. Humans WILL go extinct at some point and it will not be to go to heaven or hell it will be because humans screwed up so badly they DESERVED to off themselves.
    If you don't believe that look at what we are doing to our own planet, causing mass extinctions as we speak on a huge scale not seen for 60 million years.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:22
    Liberal Christian

Technical usage: A proponent of Liberal Christian Theology. Roughly this is "red letter" theology that embraces the teachings of Christ but ignores, if not outright rejects much of the rest of the bible. The bible is seen as errant a ...[text shortened]... where to draw the line? Might as well pitch the book into the trashcan and embrace agnosticism.
    We may feel certain that a 'Creator' exists, but it's only through the Bible that a name and character are given to this 'Creator'. Is it all true? The jealousy, anger, death, animal sacrifice, etc.?

Some of the Bible is certainly suspect in the belief that it's real, while other parts seem absolutely from God.

I just don't know.

Not to mention the thousands of scrolls that were not included in the making of the Bible.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:23
    A liberal christian is one who believes the human definition of love trumps what is written in the Bible.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:26
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Suzianne has stated that she does not agree with abortion, yet, at the same time she's pro choice. I don't think one can have it both ways.

Liberal Christian here seems more interested in women's rights than what God may feel about the issue of abortion.
    One may think abortion is wrong, but also that it's not the state's place to outlaw it. It would be similar to adultery. Wrong, but not illegal per se.
  8. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:28
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    So those corrupt liberal Christians should be flogged for daring to believe evolution is correct and we did evolve from early apes?

Are we now going to do William Jennings Bryant all over again? New monkey trials but this time the anti evolutionists win and therefore can force creationism to be taught as if it were some kind of actual science in a scie ...[text shortened]... own planet, causing mass extinctions as we speak on a huge scale not seen for 60 million years.
    All I did was answer the question. Bible believers can be decent human beings, you know. Just a thought.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 17:31
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    One may think abortion is wrong, but also that it's not the state's place to outlaw it. It would be similar to adultery. Wrong, but not illegal per se.
    See, this is the crux of the problem:

How one applies life issues in relation to their OWN interpretation of the Bible, or their outright dismissal of Biblical writings to excuse their actions.

Atheists don't have this dilemma.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 18:201 edit

“Suzianne has stated that she does not agree with abortion, yet, at the same time she's pro choice. I don't think one can have it both ways. ”

It’s up to her to reconcile if reconciliation of these two things is needed in any decisions life gives her, but one approach is, if you don’t agree with abortion, don’t have any, and if you are pro choice, don’t make other people’s choices difficult for them to implement.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 18:35
    See, this is the crux of the problem:

How one applies life issues in relation to their OWN interpretation of the Bible, or their outright dismissal of Biblical writings to excuse their actions.

Atheists don't have this dilemma.
    No worries; there are plenty of dilemmas left.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 19:11
    Originally posted by @js357
    “Suzianne has stated that she does not agree with abortion, yet, at the same time she's pro choice. I don't think one can have it both ways. ”

It’s up to her to reconcile if reconciliation of these two things is needed in any decisions life gives her, but one approach is, if you don’t agree with abortion, don’t have any, and if you are pro choice, don’t make other people’s choices difficult for them to implement.
    You are neglecting to include God and/or the Bible in your reply.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 19:17

My biggest problem with Liberal Christian Theology is the slippery slope. If much, or even some of the bible is corrupted and untrustworthy... how do any of us know where to draw the line? Might as well pitch the book into the trashcan and embrace agnosticism.
    Perhaps just view the Bible as a signpost, rather than the final destination.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 19:34
    Originally posted by @divegeester

You’ve already admitted through this fake “girlfriend” that you’re not a Christian, something many of us already knew.

Still continuing the charade of being a Christian and being female?

It’s too bad Ghost isn’t a real mental health professional because you definitely need one.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 20:211 edit
    Wagon wheels are a treat for me
    They’re the biggest biscuit I ever did see

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree