Depravity

Depravity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Aug 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Several years ago someone on the site said I was the most likely person to lead someone to hell.
That was me. How's it going?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by Coletti
That was me. How's it going?
Nice of you to ask. I'm doing OK. Did I tell you I'm teaching a youth Sunday school class next month?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Aug 07

Nice of you to ask. I'm doing OK. Did I tell you I'm teaching a youth Sunday school class next month?
Did you see my replies to your posts on page 3?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by josephw
Did you see my replies to your posts on page 3?
Thanks for pointing it out as I missed it. I was kind of busy in the "clan so hony" thread in the clan forums.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Aug 07

Thanks for pointing it out as I missed it. I was kind of busy in the "clan so hony" thread in the clan forums.
"Clan so hony"? Sounds terrible! Sorry I missed it.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
11 Aug 07

"Clan so hony"? Sounds terrible! Sorry I missed it.
Feel free to contribute to it. It is a lot like confession. It will make you feel better afterwards.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Aug 07

Feel free to contribute to it. It is a lot like confession. It will make you feel better afterwards.
Maybe tomorrow. I gotta go home now.

Illinois

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by Starrman
You know perfectly well that is not the interpretation of sin that the church peddles. If it were, the whole heaven hell concept would be nonsense, the punishments even more overkill and hypocritical than they are.
That's just not true. Neither of your statements.

S

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
That's just not true. Neither of your statements.
What a bizarre indoctrinated world you live in.

S

Moves
11 Aug 07

em·pir·i·cal /ɛmˈpɪrɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-pir-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. derived from or guided by experience or experiment.
2. depending upon experience or observation alone, without using scientific method or theory, esp. as in medicine.
3. provabl ...[text shortened]... e make choices. Man is a sinner. It's obvious.

That's how I see it.
How do you explain it?
Definition 2 is misleading, it comes from a biotechnology corporation, it is distinguishing empirical observation from those based on previous scientific methodologies models and theories.

Now design me an experiment to prove sin exists.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Aug 07

That's an adult's interpretation, using words like conceal and forbidden just doesn't fit with the infant mind. They're not yet aware of either of these concepts, they're going through the motions of a game they don't yet understand the implications of. You just can't suggest that they are concealing forbidden activities until you have proof that they un ...[text shortened]... doing anything wrong, it can't be a lie, certainly not in the way ephineas is using it.
That they don't understand the implications does not mean that they do not do it. A child's lie may be innocent, but it is a lie nonetheless.

How do you reconcile your view that they do not lie with the lack of ability to distinguish right and wrong? Why would they NOT lie then?

S

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by Palynka
How do you reconcile your view that they do not lie with the lack of ability to distinguish right and wrong? Why would they NOT lie then?
That's exactly why they do not lie. It cannot be a lie if the act of deception is not taking place and it can't until right and wrong can be distinguished. You perceive it as a lie from a position of having a moral framework which distinguishes the two.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Aug 07

That's exactly why they do not lie. It cannot be a lie if the act of deception is not taking place and it can't until right and wrong can be distinguished. You perceive it as a lie from a position of having a moral framework which distinguishes the two.
Of course the act of deception is taking place. It is just the moral significance of that deception that is absent. The right and wrong of it.

These are two different things.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Not in the sense that they are 'wicked' or 'perverted' right from the get go, but 'morally indifferent', yes.

A child is born with an innate self-centeredness, which in itself is the root of all depravity. So babies are depraved in the sense that their utter selfishness inherently nixes the possibility of a moral center.

A better term would probab ...[text shortened]... t throughout life our original nature is the root cause of our propensity towards sin.
How do you account for the spontaneous emergence of empathy in toddlers? Is this consistent with toddlers being depraved?

S

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Of course the act of deception is taking place. It is just the moral significance of that deception that is absent. The right and wrong of it.

These are two different things.
I don't see how deception can exist without moral significance.