1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 14:02
    Originally posted by vivify
    Also the issue of public decency. We know Satan represents evil, and so it's morally dubious to depict children looking up to a satanic figure as if it's a god. Yes, I know satanists don't see their god as evil, but that doesn't change what Satan repesents throughout the world.

People shouldn't have to see such a disturbing image in public. It would be just fine in a museum.
    I have seen far worse images displayed in public.
    But in this case, you will have to actually pay to see it, so those that see it will be those that really want to.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 14:08
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm open to further understanding of course. However I can not imagine any combination of words that they people could put together that would make me believe that Satanism was aligned with Christianity.
    I never suggested it would be 'aligned with Christianity' but then I wouldn't say that Islam or Buddhism are either.

Consider this cartoon to start off with:
    http://www.dougmesner.com/art/

Perhaps it is not such a bad thing that they are not aligned with Christianity.

Here is their mission statement:
    The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people. In addition, we embrace practical common sense and justice.

Again, given that Christians are not particularly well known for their common sense and justice, I would say its probably a good thing they are not aligned with Christianity.

But I am not sure why you would oppose them putting up a statue.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 14:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But I am not sure why you would oppose them putting up a statue.
    Really?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 15:481 edit
    I have seen far worse images displayed in public.
    But in this case, you will have to actually pay to see it, so those that see it will be those that really want to.
    Okay. Then it's not really as public as the OP made it seem to be. I thought it would be "public" the way the Rocky statue in Philadelphia is.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 15:54
    Really?
    Yes, really. They appear to be mostly interested in freedom of religion (something I would expect you to support). Would you prefer all Christian symbolism be removed from the public eye, or are you only in favour when it is your own religion?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:01
    Yes, really. They appear to be mostly interested in freedom of religion (something I would expect you to support). Would you prefer all Christian symbolism be removed from the public eye, or are you only in favour when it is your own religion?
    Have you not come across the concept of Satan begin an anti-Christ figure before?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:07
    Have you not come across the concept of Satan begin an anti-Christ figure before?
    Yes, but I am anti Christ... As are many atheists, and many members of non-Christian religions.

Would you oppose a statue of me, or of a depiction of any other religions god?

Also, even if their religion is directly opposed to yours...

Your religions is directly opposed to theirs...

How many times have you had Satanists come around and complain about private crucifixes?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:101 edit
    What do you mean by "better fit" and how do you differentiate between one city and another?
    Detroit is already more like hell than pretty much any other city in the US.

It's about time for the devil to move in I think.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:12
    What are you talking about?
    The Pope is such a left winged hipster that I'm sure he is open minded enough to combine Catholicism and Satanism.

Who are we to judge, right?
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Pope is such a left winged hipster that I'm sure he is open minded enough to combine Catholicism and Satanism.

Who are we to judge, right?
    Isn't the Pope supposed to be infallible? If so, it seems God wants the world to be left-wing.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Detroit seems to be a better fit than Oklahoma City.

Just say'in.

Washington DC would be an even better fit, however.
    You got that right! LOL...NYC might be a good fit as well...
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 16:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    Isn't the Pope supposed to be infallible? If so, it seems God wants the world to be left-wing.
    Yep, both the Pope and Obama have been deemed to be infallible.

So what's your point?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 18:301 edit
    Yes I have. Can you go into more detail as to why you think that is relevant? Are you assuming (without even checking) that they believe the Satan they are referring to is the same one as in your religion? Do you think they also believe in the God of your religion? Do you think they also believe in Jesus?

Are you also against Halloween parties and Harry Potter films?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 18:52
    Yes I have. Can you go into more detail as to why you think that is relevant? Are you assuming (without even checking) that they believe the Satan they are referring to is the same one as in your religion? Do you think they also believe in the God of your religion? Do you think they also believe in Jesus?

Are you also against Halloween parties and Harry Potter films?
    You did well this time; about 8 posts before you got petty and argumentative.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 19:08
    You did well this time; about 8 posts before you got petty and argumentative.
    He didn't, he made a perfectly reasonable post and was not at all petty.

To me, it looks like an obvious attempt by you to try to squirm out of answering a
    question you don't want to have to deal with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree