Did Jesus really exist?

Did Jesus really exist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 May 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
"Saying that something is rational does not make it so."

And then later,

"We do not BELIEVE that your god, or any other god, exists."

And then, later,

"What you are thinking is utterly nonsensical."
"Saying that something is rational does not make it so."

Likewise, saying something is irrational does not make it so, either.

"We do not BELIEVE that your god, or any other god, exists."

You guys certainly say this often enough to perhaps make us wonder if you are not threatened by our belief.

We don't insult your intelligence by repeating, ad nauseum, that we DO believe in God. Is it too much to expect the same from you? (Yes, despite your tiresome claims that we're somehow "not getting it".)

"What you are thinking is utterly nonsensical."

Funny, I was thinking the same about you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 May 15
1 edit

So why do you spend all of your time telling me these things I already know, and am not going to accept without any evidence or reason to do so, and not providing any evidence or reason to accept them?
I'm not sure either.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps when confronted by your confrontational tone, we should simply turn away and not respond. You must realize of course, that our unwillingness to engage with you, given what you just said here, would not imply any truth to your confrontational nonsense. We'd just be agreeing with you that maybe we don't have to "spend all our time telling you these things". You're the one telling us we shouldn't waste our time presenting our side to your nonsense.

On an internet discussion forum.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'm not sure either.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps when confronted by your [b]confrontational
tone, we should simply turn away and not respond. You must realize of course, that our unwillingness to engage with you, given what you just said here, would not imply any truth to your confrontational nonsense. We'd just be agreeing with you that maybe w ...[text shortened]... ouldn't waste our time presenting our side to your nonsense.

On an internet discussion forum.[/b]
Suzi, your insights and sentiments mirror my own;
this highly intelligent person is a member of the entire human race
for whom Christ died His spiritual death on the cross.

Moves
21 May 15

I'm not sure either.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps when confronted by your [b]confrontational
tone, we should simply turn away and not respond. You must realize of course, that our unwillingness to engage with you, given what you just said here, would not imply any truth to your confrontational nonsense. We'd just be agreeing with you that maybe w ...[text shortened]... ouldn't waste our time presenting our side to your nonsense.

On an internet discussion forum.[/b]
No Suzianne.

What I am saying is that GB [and some others] should respond with actual arguments
and not just repeat what they believe in in response to questions other than "what do you believe?".

I'm not asking anyone not to present arguments or not to engage, I'm asking them TOO engage
and present arguments. Like the diametric opposite of what you are accusing me of.

For example, GB just responded to a question I asked, with [helpfully] a one word 'no' and then
an 'explanation' which was basically a slightly condensed version of the original post with no
further argument. I already read the original post, and it wasn't making an argument for me to
not understand. So reposting the exact same stuff as before made absolutely no progress and
was a waste of everyone's time.

As it happens, twhitehead also disagrees with me, and he's posted a couple of responses to the exact
same argument. The difference being that he's posted intelligent and intelligible counter arguments.
I don't agree with them, and will formulate some new [hopefully better] arguments in response tomorrow.
But that's great, because if my arguments thus far haven't convinced him then perhaps they need to
be re-evaluated and changed [or discarded].

Compare this with sonship and GB giving a potted history of JC every time they bring him up.
Like anyone here doesn't know the crucifixion story in the bible, or that you guys believe it.

Why are you wasting so much time saying the same thing over and over, when it doesn't advance your
arguments [if you make any] and we already know it?

It just makes your posts harder to read through.

Repeating something [in a different form] is fine if someone doesn't understand something and you are
trying to rephrase it to make it clear. But when it has nothing to do with the argument, and was perfectly
clear the first time.....

We don't insult your intelligence by repeating, ad nauseum, that we DO believe in God. Is it too much to expect the same from you? (Yes, despite your tiresome claims that we're somehow "not getting it".)

"We don't insult your intelligence by repeating, ad nauseum, that we DO believe in God."
Actually, between you, yes you do, quite a lot.

"Yes, despite your tiresome claims that we're somehow "not getting it""
It may be tiresome to keep being told that you don't get it... But if you keep demonstrating that you
don't get it, by saying something that makes absolutely no sense if you do get it, then it's going to
keep getting repeated. And I'm far from the only person who has to keep reminding you that we don't
believe that god/s exist. Every time someone pipes up with "you just want to sin" or "you're afraid of god"
or "you just pretend not to believe in god so you don't have to obey his commands" etc etc We have to
try again to convince you that we really don't believe that any gods exist.
If you stop making posts that don't make sense unless you assume that we privately do believe that
your god exists, then I will stop saying it [to you].

Moves
21 May 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Prove it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 May 15

Are you referring to me .....

The Near Genius 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 May 15
2 edits

To deny the existence of Christ, one must be able to logically explain away a large amount of historical information. The following are just some of the things one must be able to logically explain away:

1. THe Shroud of Turin a.k.a. the burial cloth of Christ
2. The Sudarium of Oviedo a.k.a. the bloody face cloth of Christ's crucifixion
3. The empty tomb and the extra large rolling stone in Jerusalem
4. Early Paintings of Christ in a burial cloth that looks like the Shroud of Turin
5. All the New Testament writings that testify of Christ's existence
6. Extra biblical and historical statements relating information about Christ & Christians
7. Christians and Christianity

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 May 15
1 edit

No Suzianne.

What I am saying is that GB [and some others] should respond with actual arguments
and not just repeat what they believe in in response to questions other than "what do you believe?".

I'm not asking anyone not to present arguments or not to engage, I'm asking them TOO engage
and present arguments. Like the diametric opposite of what y ...[text shortened]... you assume that we privately do believe that
your god exists, then I will stop saying it [to you].
googlefudge, appeal your hunger in the public square until the day following never, the facts will still remain the indisputable facts. Serving them up again and again, ad infinitum, ad nauseam, et al with an appetizer or salad with your favorite dressing won't change a thing. Why? Because this menu offers only two entrees: "Yes" or "No". Please ponder your life decision.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 May 15
2 edits

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 May 15

Prove it.
Prove what? A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Cape Town

Moves
22 May 15

Unless I am mistaken he was responding to a poster who clearly assumed that he did believe in God - hence his need to clarify. So yes, it is clearly too much to expect him not to clarify to those who do not get it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
22 May 15

And our concept of free will dictates that it is their choice, not ours, which direction they choose.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 May 15
2 edits

And our concept of free will dictates that it is their choice, not ours, which direction they choose.
Absolutely. God graciously gives all of us maximum time to become believers in Christ and then to grow in grace to spiritual maturity. Though His omniscience knew in eternity past how each of us would decide, He still respects our volition. His sovereignty co-exists with human free will in time. "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance [a change of mind about Christ]." (2 Peter 3:9)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 May 15
1 edit

Compare this with sonship and GB giving a potted history of JC every time they bring him up.

What's a "potted history" ?

Moves
27 May 15

Originally posted by sonship

What's a "potted history" ?
Ahh, you're right, that's probably not a commonly used phrase.

A "potted history" is like a very brief summary or synopsis of someone or something's past.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/potted