Did Saddam

Did Saddam

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Nordlys
It's the God of Abraham. Christians and Muslims have different beliefs about that god, but it's basically the same god.
Did Abraham own God? I never really understood why people consider it the same God, just because there are some common episodes. They have different messages, the most important events are different and so on. Heck, if the religions are different how can the god be the same? Makes no sense to me, unless one is willing to claim that all monotheistic religions worship the same god.

N

The sky

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Did Abraham own God? I never really understood why people consider it the same God, just because there are some common episodes. They have different messages, the most important events are different and so on. Heck, if the religions are different how can the god be the same? Makes no sense to me, unless one is willing to claim that all monotheistic religions worship the same god.
I'd say it goes much further than having some common episodes. Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha'ism all have the same roots. Neither Christianity nor Islam nor Baha'ism would be possible without Judaism (and neither of them denies that connection). The belief of the Baha'i that the different religions are expressions of different stages of human progress makes a lot of sense to me (although they believe that God expressed himself in different ways at different times, while I believe that people shaped their beliefs in different ways at different times; and I am not so sure about the progress).

If you ask different people to describe the same person or country or retell the same story, you may get widely different and sometimes contradictory answers; more so if the descriptions come from different times or cultures. This doesn't mean it's not the same person, country or story they talk about, it just means they perceive different aspects, interpret (or misinterpret) them in their own way, and try to fit them into their own system of knowledge, values etc. I think it's the same with God - although of course it's more difficult to tell whether different people are talking about the same thing if what they are talking about is most likely fictional.