1. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    2753
    20 Apr '07 00:38
    "Thanks to you I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people... Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and be impaled on a cross aand left to bleed to death for your amusement? You have never felt a single ounce of pain your whole life!"

    -- Cho Seung-Hui

    The negative effect of religions when you take it too seriously...
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    1345
    20 Apr '07 00:50
    No. The negative effects of someone with psychological problems.
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    2753
    20 Apr '07 00:54
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    No. The negative effects of someone with psychological problems.
    Yes, but at least religion was one of the many ingredients?
  4. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    20 Apr '07 02:16
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    "Thanks to you I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people... Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and be impaled on a cross aand left to bleed to death for your amusement? You have never felt a single ounce of pain your whole life!"

    -- Cho Seung-Hui

    The negative effect of religions when you take it too seriously...
    I think he took himself too seriously.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    20 Apr '07 02:21
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Yes, but at least religion was one of the many ingredients?
    That's kind of like saying cooking kills people as people who make bombs follow recipes.
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    2753
    20 Apr '07 03:35
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    That's kind of like saying cooking kills people as people who make bombs follow recipes.
    When a religious book is subject to interpretations, then some negative interpretations may arise. Just like how judges might interpret a particular statute in a particular way, which might not be the intention of that statute!

    All I'm saying here is: some people may misunderstand the contents of the bible, for whatever reason, and then end up doing something that is contrary to what the bible had intended in the first place. Hence the negative effect of religion. Of course if the interpretations were 'correct', then the result would have been 'positive', although the words 'negative' and 'positive' are still subject to definitions.
  7. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    20 Apr '07 06:33
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    When a religious book is subject to interpretations, then some negative interpretations may arise. Just like how judges might interpret a particular statute in a particular way, which might not be the intention of that statute!

    All I'm saying here is: some people may misunderstand the contents of the bible, for whatever reason, and then end up doing some ...[text shortened]... sitive', although the words 'negative' and 'positive' are still subject to definitions.
    No. It is the negative effect of a misinterpretation.

    And besides, religion clearly was not the motivation for his crimes, to any degree. It just appears that he used a religious image to give expression to his feelings.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    20 Apr '07 14:23
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    No. It is the negative effect of a misinterpretation.

    And besides, religion clearly was not the motivation for his crimes, to any degree. It just appears that he used a religious image to give expression to his feelings.
    As someone once said, "There is a fine line between religion and craziness."
  9. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    655
    20 Apr '07 14:28
    I agree it's a bit silly to blame religion in any way for this event (if we are to blame metaphors used to explain acts, we should also blame nouns for the actions of the objects they represent). That said, the celebration of deaths in a lot of religions, Jesus' being the most prominent example, creeps me out a little.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    23 Apr '07 15:36
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    "Thanks to you I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people... Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and be impaled on a cross aand left to bleed to death for your amusement? You have never felt a single ounce of pain your whole life!"

    -- Cho Seung-Hui

    The negative effect of religions when you take it too seriously...
    The problem is he didn't die like Jesus. Jesus's death was an act of love and self sacrifice. He was a pacifist to the end (Peter put away your sword) . I don't know what Jesus he thought he was dying like but it wasn't the Jesus I recognise. He died more like a deranged Rambo than Jesus. The comparision with Christ is way off.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    23 Apr '07 16:13
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I agree it's a bit silly to blame religion in any way for this event (if we are to blame metaphors used to explain acts, we should also blame nouns for the actions of the objects they represent). That said, the celebration of deaths in a lot of religions, Jesus' being the most prominent example, creeps me out a little.
    I would go one further and say it's just plain stupid to blame religion for this particular event. While religion can rightly be blamed for many evils in the world, this is not one of them. Ckoh1965 makes himself look like a petty opportunist by trying to draw that connection.
  12. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    2753
    23 Apr '07 23:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would go one further and say it's just plain stupid to blame religion for this particular event. While religion can rightly be blamed for many evils in the world, this is not one of them. Ckoh1965 makes himself look like a petty opportunist by trying to draw that connection.
    I didn't blame religions. But you have to admit that there are many negative outcomes of religious misinterpretations. Buildings are blown up by crashing aeroplanes into them; people blow up themselves with bombs and kill many others in the process; and in this case, this sicko shot others before killing himself. All these psycho acts were done in the name of religions.

    Religions in general tell people to be good, but some people understand religions wrongly and do things that can have serious consequences. It's in this sense that I said religions may have negative effects if taken too seriously (in the wrong way).

    Maybe these people are using religions as convenient excuse, I don't know. Or maybe they are really convinced that they are doing the right thing from a religious point of view. To me, they are just psychos, but one way or another, they did what they did because of (the wrong understanding/interpretation of) their respective religions.
  13. CA, USA
    Joined
    06 Dec '02
    Moves
    1182
    24 Apr '07 00:37
    Why not just go ahead and take a leap to the next level in your twisted logic.

    Why not blame the victims?

    They didn't live up to his expectations. He had to kill them .. they made him do it.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Apr '07 04:22
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    I didn't blame religions. But you have to admit that there are many negative outcomes of religious misinterpretations. Buildings are blown up by crashing aeroplanes into them; people blow up themselves with bombs and kill many others in the process; and in this case, this sicko shot others before killing himself. All these psycho acts were done in the name ...[text shortened]... t they did because of (the wrong understanding/interpretation of) their respective religions.
    So do you think these "psycho's" would still be psycho's if there were no religion to distort? I say there are messages out there that are pure but any message, no matter how pure, can be twisted by a psycho.
  15. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    2753
    24 Apr '07 05:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    So do you think these "psycho's" would still be psycho's if there were no religion to distort? I say there are messages out there that are pure but any message, no matter how pure, can be twisted by a psycho.
    Hey what's wrong with you? Read my opening post. I didn't say that religions are the ONLY element that will have negative consequences.

    Of course a psycho can kill because of other reasons too. A psycho is a pshcho whether or not there is a religion in the equation. A psycho will kill whether or not religion is the reason. But in this particular case, this sicko thought that he killed because of his religion. How he arrived at such an interpretation, I don't know.
Back to Top