Dietary Restrictions and Other Forms of Control

Dietary Restrictions and Other Forms of Control

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
289d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
A Christian therefore, striving to return to their perfect state, should seriously consider veganism/vegetarianism.
Jesus had a definition of perfection and it has nothing to do with what you eat, so Christians who think veganism is a perfect state, are sadly mistaken Some even die in a rather foolish way because of their extreme diet.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
289d

@rajk999 said
Jesus had a definition of perfection and it has nothing to do with what you eat, so Christians who think veganism is a perfect state, are sadly mistaken Some even die in a rather foolish way because of their extreme diet.
Sure, but if man is made in God's image and man (in his original sinless form) was indeed vegetarian, it would probably be more advantageous than not for a Christian to give up eating meat.......And perhaps give away all their money.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
289d

@rajk999 said
Jesus had a definition of perfection and it has nothing to do with what you eat,
So it's ok to eat unclean animals?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
289d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
So it's ok to eat unclean animals?
Yes. All animals are good to eat. The Jews were given special dietary instructions, not the Gentiles. Let me know if you want the references.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
289d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Sure, but if man is made in God's image and man (in his original sinless form) was indeed vegetarian, it would probably be more advantageous than not for a Christian to give up eating meat.......And perhaps give away all their money.
Not really. Give up some meat, and eat a balanced diet including vegetables. Extremist diets are self-destructive. Of course give up as much of your money as you can afford. Its good to be charitable and generous, instead of selfish and greedy.

This is why poor interpretation of the bible leads to extremism

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
289d

@rajk999 said
Yes. All animals are good to eat. The Jews were given special dietary instructions, not the Gentiles. Let me know if you want the references.
Then what about Acts 15:20 instructing what gentile Christians should abstain from?

"...write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood."

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
289d

@rajk999 said
Not really. Give up some meat, and eat a balanced diet including vegetables. Extremist diets are self-destructive. Of course give up as much of your money as you can afford. Its good to be charitable and generous, instead of selfish and greedy.

This is why poor interpretation of the bible leads to extremism
I don't think vegetarianism is an extremist diet.

A kebab-eating rich dude will find it hard to pass through the eye of a needle.

Über-Nerd

Moves
289d
1 edit

@medullah said
This is the passage that references abstaining from blood.

KJV Acts 15:29

29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

This is the same passage, but from the Easy To Read Translation

29 Don’t eat food that has been given to idols. ...[text shortened]... ut eating blood, as was a common practice at the time of the Roman Empire, what is it talking about?
The Hebrews had a horror of blood. It's all there in plain text, as you say. Not only animals' blood, but menstrual blood, as well. Blood was held to be spiritually unclean.

Über-Nerd

Moves
289d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I don't think vegetarianism is an extremist diet.

A kebab-eating rich dude will find it hard to pass through the eye of a needle.
Yeah, the kebab will get stuck. He'll have to let go of it.

😆

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
289d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Then what about Acts 15:20 instructing what gentile Christians should abstain from?

"...write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood."
Abstain from blood and idols. The blood must be drained and this was explained. It does not mean not to eat meat.

Über-Nerd

Moves
288d

@rajk999 said
Abstain from blood and idols. The blood must be drained and this was explained. It does not mean not to eat meat.
Which is what “halal” means: the animal must be killed painlessly and all the blood drained out of it.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
288d

I've heard that some won't eat game because of the issue of how well the blood is/isn't drained from the kill's body.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
288d

@moonbus said
Which is what “halal” means: the animal must be killed painlessly and all the blood drained out of it.
Yes of course. Islam promotes the same practices regarding meat.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
288d

@medullah said
I've heard that some won't eat game because of the issue of how well the blood is/isn't drained from the kill's body.
I think that is just nitpicking. God said after the flood all animals can be eaten... ALL. No exception was made. The dietary rules came in for Jews, descendents of Jacob, and there was a specific reason for God doing that. Those rules do not apply to the rest of the world. When Jesus arrived all those rules went by the wayside because of the death of Christ which ushered in a new era of no rules except one. People fail to understand that. All the Law of Moses if fulfilled in one word, love. Charitable brotherly love.

IP

Moves
287d

At Holy Communion, Christians are encouraged to eat the body of Christ and drink his blood. I've never done it myself, but it doesn't sound very nice.