1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 10:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    But I still hold to the fact that both statement mean the same thing because they both refer to the same god or gods whether they be mine or another's.

If I say, 'I hate all beer' (God forbid), then I say, 'I hate your beer', I am being redundant.
    Let me try to demonstrate (without using cats! 🙂 ) how this works if you were to reverse your OP statement:

Statement A: I believe that a god or gods exist

Statement B: I believe that the particular God that Josephw believes in (as defined by his posts on this site) exists.

I support A but not B. And they are two very different statements. In this case, B is also not necessarily included in A, but it may be.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 23:08
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Let me try to demonstrate (without using cats! 🙂 ) how this works if you were to reverse your OP statement:

Statement A: I believe that a god or gods exist

Statement B: I believe that the particular God that Josephw believes in (as defined by his posts on this site) exists.

I support A but not B. And they are two very different statements. In this case, B is also not necessarily included in A, but it may be.
    It is like the difference between YaHWeH and Baal or Allah, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree