1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 23:572 edits
    "You cannot disprove God", "Science cannot disprove God" are just a couple of numerous statements made by theists where the deity in question is always capitalised.

Theists then, when challenged on these points will conflate the capitalised 'g' God with the properties that could hold true with any number of arbitrary gods that may well be distinct from, and incompatible with that which they are actually referring to.

At any rate, I see the word "God" and immediately associate it with the narrow-minded, and often internally inconsistent conceptualisation of a deity imagined by the poster that referred to it, and if I make any challenge to the supposed existence of "God" I do so on the basis that it is that specific notion of god that I am referring to - no others
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 00:211 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    "You cannot disprove God", "Science cannot disprove God" are just a couple of numerous statements made by theists where the deity in question is always capitalised.

Theists then, when challenged on these points will conflate the capitalised 'g' God with the properties that could hold true with any number of arbitrary gods that may well be distinct from, and ...[text shortened]... so on the basis that it is [b]that specific
    notion of god that I am referring to - no others[/b]
    Do you have an open mind about the remote possibility that a Sovereign God may exist or have you wished it all away?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 00:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Do you have an open mind about the remote possibility that a Sovereign God may exist or have you wished it all away?
    I am absolutely sure, beyond all need of double-checking, that your God does not exist. Moreover, the idea on your part that it has been "wished away" on mine, is just plain silly.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 00:49
    I am absolutely sure, beyond all need of double-checking, that your God does not exist. Moreover, the idea on your part that it has been "wished away" on mine, is just plain silly.
    "Moreover, the idea on your part that it has been "wished away" on mine, is just plain silly." -Agerg

Since you're a member of a clan with "Wish it all away." Clan 25214 as its motif, I thought the phrase held meaning for you.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 00:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Moreover, the idea on your part that it has been "wished away" on mine, is just plain silly." -Agerg

Since you're a member of a clan with "Wish it all away." Clan 25214 as its motif, I thought the phrase held meaning for you.
    It may have subconscious meaning to him.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 01:151 edit
    Agerg,
    I do not believe in many gods. I believe in one God. That God is the Creator. Where do you get the idea that there has to be more than a god, in the small letter sense? You think that God does not exist. How do you come to that conclusion? Where is any reason to back it up? Show it to us so that we can see like you.

In the end, you are wanting your own way. You are choosing to not believe. It is your choice that you are making. You cannot blame God and expect to be excused.

What hope do you have, Agerg? What is your lack of hope worth to you? Is it worth going to a lake of fire? Is it worth you having your own way? Christ died for you too.

King James Version
    ==============
    Romans 8: 38, 39
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Galatians 2: 20
    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 05:421 edit
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Agerg,
    I do not believe in many gods. I believe in one God. That God is the Creator. Where do you get the idea that there has to be more than a god, in the small letter sense? You think that God does not exist. How do you come to that conclusion? Where is any reason to back it up? Show it to us so that we can see like you.

In the end, you are ...[text shortened]... live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    There is no lake of fire - it is merely a device to keep the feeble minded from supposing that someone else's god is better.

I do not get the idea that there "has to be more than a god". I merely state the obvious which is that in theory, if some deity actually does exist (big if), it could potentially be one or more members of an infinite set of gods which are distinct from that which you believe.

I am not choosing not to believe - the stupidity of what you propose is true compels non-belief.

Your scripture is worthless to me - I never read it.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 11:241 edit

Theists then, when challenged on these points will conflate the capitalised 'g' God with the properties that could hold true with any number of arbitrary gods that may well be distinct from, and ...[text shortened]... so on the basis that it is [b]that specific
    "At any rate, I see the word "God" and immediately associate it with the narrow-minded, and often internally inconsistent conceptualisation of a deity imagined by the poster that referred to it, and if I make any challenge to the supposed existence of "God" I do so on the basis that it is that specific notion of god that I am referring to - no others"

Narrow-minded? There you have it Agerg! Anyone that says 'God' is narrow-minded. Talk about 'internally inconsistent conceptualizations'! It must be so perfectly clear to you that a (G)od must not exist, and if one does, it is not possible that he might just communicate who he is to those he created.

No! Not possible! You're much too open-minded to fall for that.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"At any rate, I see the word "God" and immediately associate it with the narrow-minded, and often internally inconsistent conceptualisation of a deity imagined by the poster that referred to it, and if I make any challenge to the supposed existence of "God" I do so on the basis that it is that specific notion of god that I am referring to - no others" ...[text shortened]... ho he is to those he created.

No! Not possible! You're much too open-minded to fall for that.[/b]
    So you figure the hierarchy idea that your god or God, whatever, has set up a system where a very small number of people are on the top of the religious spectrum and the rest have to get their word of this god from the people on top, this is an ok concept to you?

In spite of the fact that a truly omniscient god could just as well have spoken to every human on the planet at the same time but supposedly only wants to speak through a god trumpet human.

That alone tells me the whole God thing is just a man made construct and has attracted billions of followers of people who put reasoning aside and just take the word of the charlatans who started it all.

That to me just screams man made. That and the idea I put forth in another post to the same effect, there is no God because there is no feedback from said alleged God.

A few words with one dude in the desert resulting in the ten commandments, and not one of those commandments say 'thou shalt not have slaves' or thou shalt not make women second class citizens'.

Funny, a GOD would not mention something like that.

So then literally THOUSANDS of years go by and then there is one dude, JC, who claims to be the son of God.

Then no word from this God, and 2000 years on, no word from this God, except for dudes like David Koresh, or Mohammed,

No word from a God to ALL the people at once, which you all rationalize away by saying, well, God gave us free will.

Of course this supposedly omniscient god made us imperfect with children suffering from cancer and such, babies born with Down's syndrome, or born with no brain.

It seems like your God has made an imperfect race of humans even though it, being allegedly omniscient, would have foreseen all that suffering of children with cancer and so forth, could have made us with better genetics able to fend off those diseases but instead is ok with the idea that children can be born blind or with no limbs or with vagina cancer or other diseases.

You can't put THAT one down to free will. It is not a child's fault it got cancer at the age of 3 months.

So all of that simply tells me we are on our own, whether or not there is a god, whether or not the universe is 6000 years old or 6 billion years old, doesn't matter for right now, no god has come down to fix ANYTHING in the last 2000 years.

The fact we have a hierarchal system of religion in the first place is the first big clue something is deeply wrong with organized religion.

For instance, in both Christianity (in the past for sure) and modern day Islam, you leave the faith, you die.

You think a real God would give a rats ass whether someone leaves some religion or other?

The fact there are thousands of religions tells me one huge fact: THEY CAN'T ALL BE RIGHT. And the opposite, that tells me they ALL are wrong.

Tell me why a God would allow a child to get cancer, or an adult for that matter? Lets see the rationalization for that one.

Another thing: These tests your alleged God sets up, Ab with Jacob, Adam and Eve, don't eat THAT apple.

A God, being omniscient would have known the outcome of any such tests before the universe was even created since it knew it was going to make a universe and would know the life career of every atom in the universe from beginning to end and so would also know the outcome of any such test it would set up, so why would it make such a BS test in the first place?

The answer: such tests would ONLY have come from the thoughts of humans because they would not know the outcome, so could imagine the usefulness of such tests.

Then there is the idea that an omniscient God would destroy EVERY land animal on Earth to kill a few thousand bad humans is so abhorrent as to defy belief that anyone would ever even conceive of such a vile tale much less attribute such a despicable act to a God, who would be destroying the beings it allegedly created. Not only that, but leaving the ones 'saved' in the Ark to such a poor genetic pool as to leave ALL of those life forms forever weakened, including the humans.

Just another instance of the absolute BULLSHYTE in your bible God tale.

But of course you will rationalize it all away, just putting me down to a frothing at the mouth atheist, right?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 19:45

That is fine with me as long as you are not referring to my specific notion of God. But I am not going to chop off your head like some Muslims might do, if you disrespect their specific notion of god and his prophet.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 19:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you figure the hierarchy idea that your god or God, whatever, has set up a system where a very small number of people are on the top of the religious spectrum and the rest have to get their word of this god from the people on top, this is an ok concept to you?

In spite of the fact that a truly omniscient god could just as well have spoken to every hu ...[text shortened]... ou will rationalize it all away, just putting me down to a frothing at the mouth atheist, right?
    But we have already determined that you are willingly ignorant of God and the creation.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 20:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But we have already determined that you are willingly ignorant of God and the creation.
    In other words, you have no answer to my charge. That would follow.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 22:00

Theists then, when challenged on these points...
    Not sure I follow.
    What are "these points" to which you are referring?

...properties that could hold true with any number of arbitrary gods that may well be distinct from, and incompatible with that which they are actually referring to.
    Would you mind fleshing that out a bit, as well?
    Which properties do you see as overlapping with which gods?
    And do you have an example of any attributes conflicting with a particular person's beliefs in their god?

The last paragraph is too hard to decipher without the first two being more focused, if you have the time.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 22:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse

In spite of the fact that a truly omniscient god could just as well have spoken to every hu ...[text shortened]... ou will rationalize it all away, just putting me down to a frothing at the mouth atheist, right?
    Life is like chess in many ways.
    Every move we choose to make both opens and closes future opportunities and available options.
    A move made in isolation of all others which follow is sure to bring increased trouble down the road.
    Sometimes we are simply over-matched by a better opponent.
  15. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 02:213 edits
    There is no lake of fire - it is merely a device to keep the feeble minded from supposing that someone else's god is better.

I do not get the idea that there "[b]has to be
    more than a god". I merely state the obvious which is that in theory, if some deity actually does exist (big if), it could potentially be one or more members of an infinite set of god ...[text shortened]... ou propose is true compels non-belief.

Your scripture is worthless to me - I never read it.[/b]
    Agerg,
    What is illogical is to look at all things around us and say there is no Creator. It is plain that science has proven nothing about the absence of creation nor origin of the universe. To look at all the things and say it happened just because it happened. That in itself is willful ignorance. Why not say that you just don't know whether it was created or not?

Agerg, where is your proof of there being no God. Show us so that we can also see. If you want to say "god," then type it. Show us your conclusive truth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree