1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:37
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Why do religious people discriminate against agnostics and atheists?
    There is no evidence that religious people are any more ethical than those that are not so why does it matter to some religious people?
    The first thread didn't get any traction so you thought you'd give it a try?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Because religious people don't need evidence.

I am often told by theists that if they were atheist, they would immediately go around raping and murdering people, so they expect the same from me, and are quite puzzled that I don't.
    I do not know a SINGLE person who believes in God who would say this. I think you're "overgeneralizing and imaginative". Oh yeah, and not telling the truth, either.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:42
    You are jumping to conclusions. One of the reasons I created this thread is because many women don't want to date a guy that does not have a strong faith in god. I have nothing against dating theist women, but they are not as socially tolerant. It is as if they think atheists are evil much like twhitehead indicated, but there is actually a study that indicates the opposite.
    I'm wondering who did this study. Atheists?

Women in general are more socially tolerant than men, not less so. Who's jumping to conclusions?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:48
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you can find studies that support anything.

if those theist women do not want to date you, move on. i am sure you will find women not willing to date you because you are not the right color, ethnicity, don't own the right car, etc. yes, discrimination is bad, yet it is nothing new. it is wrong to believe a handful of crazy people are representing theists everywhere.
    Yes, this. To the OP: I'm guessing if a lot of women do not want to date you, you should look into yourself for blame, instead of calling them "socially intolerant theists" and blaming them.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 15:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I do not know a SINGLE person who believes in God who would say this. I think you're "overgeneralizing and imaginative". Oh yeah, and not telling the truth, either.
    You are not an atheist, so you probably don't hear it so much. In what way did I generalize? Was the word 'often' too much for you?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 15:42
    a person saying their religion is the only thing preventing them from raping and killing is a fundamentalist ashole.
    It is a common sentiment that I hear from very nice people who are most definitely not fundamentalist and definitely not asholes. Your rudeness is totally uncalled for. So I think you need to apologize.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 15:46
    It is a common sentiment that I hear from very nice people who are most definitely not fundamentalist and definitely not asholes. Your rudeness is totally uncalled for. So I think you need to apologize.
    so you claim people who say they do not rape and kill not because it is wrong but because god watches them are nice?

yeh, i don't think i need to apologize.

on the contrary, i think you need to apologize for putting me (a theist) in their category (asholes)
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 15:49
    so you claim people who say they do not rape and kill not because it is wrong but because god watches them are nice?

yeh, i don't think i need to apologize.

on the contrary, i think you need to apologize for putting me (a theist) in their category (asholes)
    You clearly don't get it, and you do need to apologize. I strongly suggest you learn to think before you type and think before you throw out insults.

Here is someone else who has had a similar experience to mine:
    http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/without-god-what-s-to-stop-me-from-raping-all-i-want-penn
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 15:55
    You clearly don't get it, and you do need to apologize. I strongly suggest you learn to think before you type and think before you throw out insults.

Here is someone else who has had a similar experience to mine:
    http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/without-god-what-s-to-stop-me-from-raping-all-i-want-penn
    "if it were not for the fact that i would go to jail, i would rape all the time"

would you say the person saying that is a nice person?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 17:14
    "if it were not for the fact that i would go to jail, i would rape all the time"

would you say the person saying that is a nice person?
    I had a thread on the topic a month or so ago. I suggest you read it.

I assure you that the people in question would not, in fact, rape and murder if they become atheist. The fact that people frequently say stupid stuff, does not warrant your insult. You say stupid stuff all the time, but I have never called you an ashole.
    For example, you labeling them fundamentalist is incorrect, as the word fundamentalist clearly doesn't apply. Or did you just intend that as an insult without knowing what it means?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 19:12
    you can find studies that support anything.

if those theist women do not want to date you, move on. i am sure you will find women not willing to date you because you are not the right color, ethnicity, don't own the right car, etc. yes, discrimination is bad, yet it is nothing new. it is wrong to believe a handful of crazy people are representing theists everywhere.
    Really? Then please be so kind as to present a study that shows theists are more ethical than atheists.

My point is that discrimination against non-religious people because of perceived ethical reasons is unjustified. In other words religious people falsely think they are more ethical and cannot give a logical explanation for their discrimination at all because they believe in falsehoods that they will not admit. They usually say something like "a person with a strong faith in god would understand" which avoids any specific explanation because in reality they have none.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 19:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm wondering who did this study. Atheists?

Women in general are more socially tolerant than men, not less so. Who's jumping to conclusions?
    Women are more socially tolerant than men? Can you present a study to confirm that claim? I doubt it.

Have you ever considered the possibility that women might just be pretending to be socially tolerant to avoid overt conflict? Women do that all the time with other women in front of their faces only to talk crap about them when their backs are turned.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 19:30
    Women do that all the time with other women in front of their faces only to talk crap about them when their backs are turned.
    I'm not sure, but I think you may be generalising again.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 21:30
    You are jumping to conclusions. One of the reasons I created this thread is because many women don't want to date a guy that does not have a strong faith in god. I have nothing against dating theist women, but they are not as socially tolerant. It is as if they think atheists are evil much like twhitehead indicated, but there is actually a study that indicates the opposite.
    It seems to me that the wise atheist should be grateful for this particular prejudice.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 00:021 edit
    I had a thread on the topic a month or so ago. I suggest you read it.

I assure you that the people in question would not, in fact, rape and murder if they become atheist. The fact that people frequently say stupid stuff, does not warrant your insult. You say stupid stuff all the time, but I have never called you an ashole.
    For example, you labeling th ...[text shortened]... t clearly doesn't apply. Or did you just intend that as an insult without knowing what it means?
    i guess we are done here. we may discuss how offensive you were when or if you calm down. until then, think whatever you want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree