discrimination against agnostics & atheists

discrimination against agnostics & atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Really? Then please be so kind as to present a study that shows theists are more ethical than atheists.

My point is that discrimination against non-religious people because of perceived ethical reasons is unjustified. In other words religious people falsely think they are more ethical and cannot give a logical explanation for their discrimination at a ...[text shortened]... n god would understand" which avoids any specific explanation because in reality they have none.
"present a study that shows theists are more ethical than atheists."
google it. the point is that such a study is useless, just as the opposite is useless.

"My point is that discrimination against non-religious people because of perceived ethical reasons is unjustified. "
i understood your point, and it is just as meaningless as saying "racism is unjustified". of course it is unjustified, of course it is wrong and of course one shouldn't do it. which is the reason why many theists don't and the ones that do you just have to avoid.

i am not gonna engage in a discussion with the drunk hobo claiming all asians are the devil's minions, i am going to avoid people saying hitler wasn't such a bad guy. why can't you? is it because you take the worse of a group (in this case theists) and try to paint the entire group with those colors?

i am a theist, and i don't believe an atheist has no moral compass. that he is going to hell. you are bent on being against theism that you believe rjhinds and checkbaiter are the poster boys for religion. i, a religious person, find that insulting.

stop generalizing. judge each person by what he/she says and does. not the group he supposedly belongs to (an assignation made by someone else, again, i take offense to being placed in the same category as rjhinds)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
so you claim people who say they do not rape and kill not because it is wrong but because god watches them are nice?

yeh, i don't think i need to apologize.

on the contrary, i think you need to apologize for putting me (a theist) in their category (asholes)
I always wondered where ash Wednesday came from🙂

Seriously though, try being an atheist in Utah, see how far it gets you.

MB

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm not sure, but I think you may be generalising again.
No, not at all. Women used to have to do that just to avoid being burned as witches. It is sometimes necessary for survival. Women used to be mere property of men and were very vulnerable in the past.

MB

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
It seems to me that the wise atheist should be grateful for this particular prejudice.
Grateful for what?

MB

Moves
06 Nov 13

"present a study that shows theists are more ethical than atheists."
google it. the point is that such a study is useless, just as the opposite is useless.

"My point is that discrimination against non-religious people because of perceived ethical reasons is unjustified. "
i understood your point, and it is just as meaningless as saying "racism is un ...[text shortened]... ion made by someone else, again, i take offense to being placed in the same category as rjhinds)
"google it. the point is that such a study is useless, just as the opposite is useless."

I don't believe a study showing the opposite exists. I'm calling your bluff.

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I always wondered where ash Wednesday came from🙂

Seriously though, try being an atheist in Utah, see how far it gets you.
don't be an atheist in utah. just like don't be a black dude in a kkk town. don't be a woman in dubai.

there are bigots everywhere. yes, we need to change that, but until then, whining about a state of things without doing anything to avoid it is pointless.

i was gonna make a more elaborate analogy with a jewish black gay dude going to a klan rally just asking for it. but you get the picture.

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13

"google it. the point is that such a study is useless, just as the opposite is useless."

I don't believe a study showing the opposite exists. I'm calling your bluff.
don't be obtuse. i never said it must be a fair study. i never said it must be from an impartial source. you never specified a time limit.

you keep clinging to this point even though i am trying to say that studies are useless in this case. you cannot prove that atheists are more compassionate than religious people through studies. where do you get your religious people? one thing to get them from a hezbollah mosque or westboro baptist church and another to get them from an inclusive church that accepts gays and allows women to be preachers. how is the study made? how is compassionate defined? how do you know that some traits that would put one person in one category or another are based on religion and not a result of one's education. or experiences.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 13

i guess we are done here. we may discuss how offensive you were when or if you calm down. until then, think whatever you want.
You insulted my friends and family using words that are actually banned in this forum (so you were forced to misspell them), and then you accuse me of being offensive, when all I did was report what has been said to me.

Do you:
- believe I was lying about what I reported?
- incorrectly believe I was talking about you?
- get offended by association simply because I said they were theists?
- not actually read what I posted?
- feel so embarrassed by your insults that you simply can't admit that you were wrong?

MB

Moves
06 Nov 13

don't be obtuse. i never said it must be a fair study. i never said it must be from an impartial source. you never specified a time limit.

you keep clinging to this point even though i am trying to say that studies are useless in this case. you cannot prove that atheists are more compassionate than religious people through studies. where do you get you ...[text shortened]... e category or another are based on religion and not a result of one's education. or experiences.
You said google it and there was nothing. Don't claim a study exists when it doesn't.

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
You insulted my friends and family using words that are actually banned in this forum (so you were forced to misspell them), and then you accuse me of being offensive, when all I did was report what has been said to me.

Do you:
- get offended by association s ...[text shortened]... posted?
- feel so embarrassed by your insults that you simply can't admit that you were wrong?
you used "theists", the general term used to describe all people of faith, to describe some fundamentalists claiming god is the only thing keeping them from raping. that was insulting to me. and i believe to all theists would actually give a crap what some closed minded fundamentalist says.

not incorrectly. i am a theist. you used the term "theist". it has become obvious that you have no respect for people of faith, and to you they are all the same, a point you keep bringing up whenever you say i am no different than rjhinds.

yes. i don't use the term "germans" when talking about nazis. please refrain from using the term "theists" when talking about fundamentalists.

i did read it. it was aimed to insult. a subtle insult, of course, but an insult nonetheless. an atheist wouldn't care, many do not differentiate between theists. a fundamentalist wouldn't care, they actually are quite fond of the notion that atheists are godless, therefore without morality. i, a theists who procrastinates at work, do care. i do not flaunt my religion, i don't bash people over their head with the good news about religion, i respect other religions and atheists (though i respect agnostics more, it seems a better stance).

and i certainly wouldn't rape or kill if i didn't have god. in fact, if god were to prove to be a bloodthirsty evil being, and demanded for the blood of the innocent, i hope i would have the strength to politely tell him to go fuk himself.

i abstained from insults in this post as a gesture of courtesy. i stand by them. any person that says that only an outside factor (be it god, the law, losing their netflix subscription) stops them from raping and killing is an ashole.

people go through crysis of faith all the time. if i do that further down the line, i become an atheist, because i would still believe rape is wrong. that person goes raping if he loses faith. and don't give me any crap that "he doesn't mean that, he is a good person if you get to know him". i find no excuse for him, or the neo-nazi who advocates for the death of all jews (but he is a very nice person once you get to know him).

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13

You said google it and there was nothing. Don't claim a study exists when it doesn't.
you still don't get it, do you? did you go through all the entries? did you look on answersingenesis site? i can make a series of fake websites inventing any study i can think of. cosmopolitan does it all the time.

i mentioned countless times that studies are unreliable. THAT IS THE BLOODY POINT.

that they can be made to "prove" anything. yet you still complain that you couldn't find a study about some issue on the first page of google searches.

could this be a tactic of yours to derail the subject and appear to be "winning" just because you couldn't find any counter-arguments to the points i made?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
06 Nov 13

Grateful for what?
Consider the possibility of finding oneself emotionally connected to a person who could hold such views. Would this not be a detestable condition?

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 13

you used "theists", the general term used to describe all people of faith, to describe some fundamentalists claiming god is the only thing keeping them from raping. that was insulting to me. and i believe to all theists would actually give a crap what some closed minded fundamentalist says.
Yes, I used the word 'theists'. But if you had bothered to read what I wrote, instead of going straight into insulting mode, you would see that I did not say 'all theists', I was merely pointing out that the people in question were theists.
I find it amazing that despite us arguing about this for quite some time you haven't gone back to re-read the post.
In addition, the people in question are not 'closed minded fundamentalists' as I have pointed out several times.

not incorrectly. i am a theist. you used the term "theist". it has become obvious that you have no respect for people of faith, and to you they are all the same, a point you keep bringing up whenever you say i am no different than rjhinds.

See above.

yes. i don't use the term "germans" when talking about nazis. please refrain from using the term "theists" when talking about fundamentalists.

I wasn't talking about fundamentalists, and in case you don't know, Nazis were mostly German. In fact, I wonder how you ever sat through a history lesson. Did you insult your teacher everytime he mentioned the word 'German'?

i did read it.

Apparently not very carefully.

it was aimed to insult.
Not at all.

i respect other religions and atheists
Clearly not. You have repeatedly called people fundamentalist asholes merely for expressing a point of view different than yours. You have no respect whatsoever for them.

and i certainly wouldn't rape or kill if i didn't have god.
Nobody ever thought otherwise.

in fact, if god were to prove to be a bloodthirsty evil being, and demanded for the blood of the innocent, i hope i would have the strength to politely tell him to go fuk himself.
This forum has rules about bad language. I think you should respect those rules as well as respecting other people that you know next to nothing about.

i abstained from insults in this post as a gesture of courtesy. i stand by them. any person that says that only an outside factor (be it god, the law, losing their netflix subscription) stops them from raping and killing is an ashole.
And you call that abstaining? Do you know what 'abstain' means?

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes, I used the word 'theists'. But if you had bothered to read what I wrote, instead of going straight into insulting mode, you would see that I did not say 'all theists', I was merely pointing out that the people in question were theists.
I find it amazing that despite us arguing about this for quite some time you haven't gone back to re-read the post. ...[text shortened]... and killing is an ashole.

And you call that abstaining? Do you know what 'abstain' means?[/b]
(hypothetical scenario) how acceptable is this:

yes i used germans instead of nazis. but if you had bothered to read what i said, you would see that i didn't say "all germans", i was merely pointing out that the people in questione were germans.

Z

Moves
06 Nov 13