1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 08:39
    Originally posted by redbadger
    on a slightly different note no roman catholic or Jew has ever been Prime minister of the UK. That is not to say they were all religious.
    How about a Muslim?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 10:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How about a Muslim?
    Or a right wing religious nutter like you.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 11:401 edit
    on a slightly different note no roman catholic or Jew has ever been Prime minister of the UK. That is not to say they were all religious.
    Disraeli one of the nations greatest PMs was Jewish.

And Tony Blair was Catholic. (though not when PM due to constitutional complications)
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 12:07
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

And Tony Blair was Catholic. (though not when PM due to constitutional complications)
    Picky picky🙂
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 12:28

Yes, I did find that rather amusing.

TB - "I am currently a protestant because being a Catholic while in office would cause
    problems, I will convert [change what it is that I believe to be true] after I leave office..."

ME - "Wait a minute.... You are claiming to currently believe the tenets of the Anglican
    religion and to believe that Catholic claims such as the Pope being the anointed messenger
    of god [or whatever] and transubstantiation are wrong and untrue... And yet you are also
    claiming that at some near point in the future you will believe that those things are true and
    that your current position is wrong and untrue.... How does that work?? Are you sure you're
    not just pretending to change what you believe to stop your Catholic wife from nagging you
    all the time?"

However that hypocrisy was one of the least hypocritical and concerning episodes of TB's tenure.

I still want him to go to jail for the rest of his natural life... And then some. [but that's a different subject]
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 14:02
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yes, I did find that rather amusing.

TB - "I am currently a protestant because being a Catholic while in office would cause
    problems, I will convert [change what it is that I believe to be true] after I leave office..."

ME - "Wait a minute.... You are claiming to currently believe the tenets of the Anglican
    religion and to believe that Cathol ...[text shortened]... o go to jail for the rest of his natural life... And then some. [but that's a different subject]
    Didn't Henry VIII do the same thing (on his death bed) or did i dream that?
  7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 18:34

afraid not at the age of 12 he was christened Anglican
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 09:12
    afraid not at the age of 12 he was christened Anglican
    He was still Jewish, just hypocritically baptizing into a christian church does not all of a sudden wipe out your Jewish heritage.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 12:252 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I would like to see where they got that number from, as I didn't believe [sadly] that it was that high.
    I checked, the figure (that 48% of people in UK have "no faith" ) is bunk. The most reliable figure for this comes from the relevant 2011 census data table [1]. 33 million of 56 million people in England and Wales described themselves as Christian (58%.). The next largest religion was Islam at 4.8%. 14 million described themselves as having no religion (25%.) and 4 million did not respond to the question (7%.).

[1] http://www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011/QS208EW/view/2092957703?cols=measures
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 12:40
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Didn't Henry VIII do the same thing (on his death bed) or did i dream that?
    You're probably thinking of Charles II who did convert on his deathbed.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 14:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He was still Jewish, just hypocritically baptizing into a christian church does not all of a sudden wipe out your Jewish heritage.
    In the context of the thread it was the Jewish religion not 'heritage' that was meant.

So what does it take to wipe out your Jewish heritage? Is every descendant of every Jew Jewish by heritage?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 14:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In the context of the thread it was the Jewish religion not 'heritage' that was meant.

So what does it take to wipe out your Jewish heritage? Is every descendant of every Jew Jewish by heritage?
    On the female side, yes.
  13. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 15:35
    the whole family became C of E , I married a Catholic in a time when it was not prudent to do so, her parents wanted me to convert or they would not attend the wedding my parents said if I changed to catholic they would not attend.
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 15:35
    Or a right wing religious nutter like you.
    probably
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 16:03
    On the female side, yes.
    Really? My mother's, mother was born Jewish, but converted when she married my mother's father. Are you saying that makes me Jewish?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree