1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Yes, I'm sure those Jews wanted to believe rape and thievery was a sin. Oh, and I'm sure they wanted to believe even looking at a woman with lust was a sin. I mean, who wants to masterbate?

Your logic is impeccable.
    Actually, I didn't have time to respond this morning, so I posted a sarcastic comment instead, sinse that is the language you prefer. Now I sit down to respond in full, and I find that either I don't know what you are responding to or you have no idea what I am saying. Please expand your comments to include your basic point(s). Are you trying to show that the ancient Hebrews had a basis for writing the Bible as theh Word of God other than to scare the populace away from making trouble? Rape is obviously immoral and let's face it, we don't need the Bible to remind us that man's lust for women has been the cause of a great deal of turmoil.

Please be more clear. I can neither read your mind nor see the smug grin on your face as you type.

... --- ...

EDIT: Wait! I just got it. You think that the Hebrews as a people came together and wrote the Bible! There was no democracy back then. "(There really isn't now, either, but that is a different thread. ) The leaders wrote down laws to keep the people in line and claimed that God would strike them down if they disobeyed because they knew people would listen to fear. I tire of pointing out the obvious to you. Why don't you just spew some dogma at me and get this charade done with?

2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 23:57
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Actually, I didn't have time to respond this morning, so I posted a sarcastic comment instead, sinse that is the language you prefer. Now I sit down to respond in full, and I find that either I don't know what you are responding to or you have no idea what I am saying. Please expand your comments to include your basic point(s). Are you trying to sh ...[text shortened]... . I can neither read your mind nor see the smug grin on your face as you type.

... --- ...
    My point is that it makes no sense that if the Jews merely wanted a god to make them feel good about dying that they would have a god who enforced such rules on them. Usually men make feel good gods like Buddha and Krishna. And do you really think they wanted a place like hell to exist?
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    01 Mar '05 23:59
    My point is that it makes no sense that if the Jews merely wanted a god to make them feel good about dying that they would have a god who enforced such rules on them. Usually men make feel good gods like Buddha and Krishna. And do you really think they wanted a place like hell to exist?
    Please see the edit in my previous post.

4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 00:03
    Actually, I didn't have time to respond this morning, so I posted a sarcastic comment instead, sinse that is the language you prefer. Now I sit down to respond in full, and I find that either I don't know what you are responding to or you have no idea what I am saying. Please expand your comments to include your basic point(s). Are you trying to sh ...[text shortened]... e obvious to you. Why don't you just spew some dogma at me and get this charade done with?

But God wouldn't have striked them down. He made them sacrifice animals to atone. So did the "Jewish leaders" instill fear by warning you that you would have to give up one of your sheeps everytime they caught you sinning?

Interesting theory.
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 05:48
    But God wouldn't have striked them down. He made them sacrifice animals to atone. So did the "Jewish leaders" instill fear by warning you that you would have to give up one of your sheeps everytime they caught you sinning?

Interesting theory.
    There's that wonderfully Christian sneer again. Yes, either the leaders/priests suggested sacrifice or it was passed down as superstition. probably both at different periods. Is this really hard for you to see? All antient religions that I've ever heard of have involved sacrifice, usually of livestock, probably because sacrificing a pile of dirt wouldn't mean anything. It is a very common human practice, even in this enlightened age, to believe that a certain ritual or sacrifice can help one's way in life. Some light a hundred candles, others say painfully long and complicated prayers. And let's not forget flagallation, or putting a nice fat check (the equivalent of livestock) in the offering plate on sunday.

Wait, what was the question again? Oh yes, whether or not the priests of the OT times had any more basis for deciding the nature of God than I do. I still say that they were just as mortal as I am right now, and so stand on equal ignorance of God. At least I admit my ignorance--I don't make up stuff about God to scare people.

... --- ...
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 05:50
    There's that wonderfully Christian sneer again. Yes, either the leaders/priests suggested sacrifice or it was passed down as superstition. probably both at different periods. Is this really hard for you to see? All antient religions that I've ever heard of have involved sacrifice, usually of livestock, probably because sacrificing a pile of dirt w ...[text shortened]... At least I admit my ignorance--I don't make up stuff about God to scare people.

... --- ...
    What's scary about eternal life in fellowship with God?
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 05:56
    What's scary about eternal life in fellowship with God?
    Where did you get that from? The scary part is your religion's threat of firey damnation in Hell! Stop trying to twist words. You stink at it, so it just makes you look bad.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:27
    Where did you get that from? The scary part is your religion's threat of firey damnation in Hell! Stop trying to twist words. You stink at it, so it just makes you look bad.
    Yes, but there's a very simple way out. Simply accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Lord, Savior and friend. Rather simple, wouldn't you say?
  9. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:42
    Yes, but there's a very simple way out. Simply accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Lord, Savior and friend. Rather simple, wouldn't you say?
    Strange how you never seem to stay on a topic but instead seem to attempt a new subject with every one of your posts. It can be an effective stratagy for it always forces others to respond to you and saves you the embarassment of actually responding to the meat of someone else's comments. It certainly worked with me for a while, but now I'm done with your game. Say something with actual substance that is related to the subject at hand or I will just ignore you. No one takes you seriously anyway, and there is a definite reason why that is so.

... --- ...
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:47
    Strange how you never seem to stay on a topic but instead seem to attempt a new subject with every one of your posts. It can be an effective stratagy for it always forces others to respond to you and saves you the embarassment of actually responding to the meat of someone else's comments. It certainly worked with me for a while, but now I'm done wit ...[text shortened]... No one takes you seriously anyway, and there is a definite reason why that is so.

... --- ...
    I'm not sure I follow. You were talking about hell, which is a bad place, but I'm telling you you don't have to go there. Is that not on topic?

11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 22:41
    Bump
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:47
    *crickets*
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:36
    *more crickets*
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    06 Mar '05 06:24
    Bump

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree