1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 15:481 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As was pointed out by Rajk999, it happened in the lifetimes of those living in Noah's day, but only 8 were saved alive.
    So why did the warnings stop?

Edit: and was there a warning given to the people of Noah's day?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 16:08
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Interesting claim. What would be Gods position had people repented?
    The Bible doesn't really give us much to go on. I would hope that God would have let them on the Ark with Noah. But alas, none did.

People like to make their own accounts of the Flood. In most of them, Noah preaches to the people and tries to convert them. Alas, not one listens. He must have been a horrible evangelist. Benny Hinn has millions of followers, and Noah could not get anyone outside the family!

But strangely, this idea of Noah preaching to the world is nowhere to be found in Gen 6-8. Not that anyone would ever add their own details to a biblical account. 😛
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 18:33
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The Bible doesn't really give us much to go on. I would hope that God would have let them on the Ark with Noah. But alas, none did.

People like to make their own accounts of the Flood. In most of them, Noah preaches to the people and tries to convert them. Alas, not one listens. He must have been a horrible evangelist. Benny Hinn has millions of follo ...[text shortened]... be found in Gen 6-8. Not that anyone would ever add their own details to a biblical account. 😛
    Peter referred to Noah as a preacher of righteousness. I guess that is where the assumption came from that Noah preached to the people.

Benny Hinn and similar Pentecostals and evangelists have succeeded in fooling millions with their sweet words and empty promises. I think the righteous preachers of old were blunt and went around with the "repent or die" kind of approach.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 20:35
    So why did the warnings stop?

Edit: and was there a warning given to the people of Noah's day?
    The warnings have not stopped. We still have them today and few people pay attention. God determined that Noah and his family were the only humans worth saving at some point, because their thoughts were continually evil. The Holy Bible does not decalre a specific warning given to the people in Noah's day, but I would suspect that the building of this hugh ark would be warning enough.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 00:39
    The warnings have not stopped. We still have them today and few people pay attention. God determined that Noah and his family were the only humans worth saving at some point, because their thoughts were continually evil. The Holy Bible does not decalre a specific warning given to the people in Noah's day, but I would suspect that the building of this hugh ark would be warning enough.
    yeah, but he must have been on 'roid rage at the time because he was sorry for acting too rashly in the aftermath of his insanity.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 00:53
    Really? There was a warning for the tsunami in Japan? For Hurricane Katrina?

And if there was a warning, what is the excuse for not using modern communication methods to reach as many people as possible in the affected area?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 01:01
    I'm surprised no one noticed the parade of animals headed there from all directions. And apparently no one took Noah's preaching seriously even after seeing this.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 18:29
    I'm surprised no one noticed the parade of animals headed there from all directions. And apparently no one took Noah's preaching seriously even after seeing this.
    Interesting point. I guess it was too late at that point. God's mind was made up that they were all going to die.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 18:46
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    yeah, but he must have been on 'roid rage at the time because he was sorry for acting too rashly in the aftermath of his insanity.
    You seem to be the one in the insane land. Head up arse to the max!
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 18:49
    Really? There was a warning for the tsunami in Japan? For Hurricane Katrina?

And if there was a warning, what is the excuse for not using modern communication methods to reach as many people as possible in the affected area?
    That is not the type of warnings I am referring to, numbnuts!
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 19:08
    That is not the type of warnings I am referring to, numbnuts!
    I don't care.

Start your own thread if you want to talk about different types of warnings.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 13:466 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And my point is that a theist faith is often at least partly based on some personal 'spiritual' experience they have had. The problem is that they take any such experience as evidence of far more than is actually justified by the experience.
    For example suppose you feel the loving presence of someone near you. This is not evidence that it is the God of t It doesn't prove that what else he tells you about God or heaven or anything else is valid.
    And my point is that a theist faith is often at least partly based on some personal 'spiritual' experience they have had.

In most of the Christians I know accepting facts came before experience.

A seeking person accepted facts first. He decided to accept some stated fact of the word of God. Faith was put into fact or promise of God's word. And it may have been only a little bit of faith. Experience with feelings only followed the firt two matters.

Fact -> Faith -> then Feeling.

Promise + Faith in Promise led to Experience as Confirmation

I think that is more how our Christian life goes.

The problem is that they take any such experience as evidence of far more than is actually justified by the experience.

The normal Christian life is a daily experience of God.
    It is even a moment by moment enjoyment of God.
    It is by no means continuing to believe because of only one powerful experience in the past.

As Paul, being a model for believers, said that he sought to forget the things which were behind and stretch forth to new experiences of Christ. In other words he did not like to linger in the past. There was too much riches of Christ to be experienced in the future.

For example suppose you feel the loving presence of someone near you. This is not evidence that it is the God of the Bible.

It may not be. But spiritual growth is like natural growth. The wise Father weans us gently off presumptions. He leads His cooperative and willing children into more substantial fellowship with God.

And eventually, as a airplane pilot has to learn to fly a plane with no visibility but perhaps only radar, so the Christian has to learn to walk not by feelings.

Yet a Christian will take it to be evidence of such and a Muslim may take it to be evidence of their religion etc.

I have yet to meet any Muslim who says that he knows God. If you know of one, invite him or her to come to this Forum and share.

More typically a Muslim will say that he knows:

1.) How to fast.
    2.) How to give alms.
    3.) How to prostrate himself to worship.
    4.) How to abstain from alchohol.
    5.) How to not eat pork.
    6.) How to travel to Mecca
    7.) How to pray 5 times a day.

The Muslim knows a lot about HOW TO DO religious things.
    Rarely, have I heard one say that he knew God, communed with God, or had fellowship with God. That might even sound disrespectful to them.

But I am willing to hear such a testimony if you know of one.
    What Muslim confessed definitely that he KNEW God Himself ?

(And the same could be said of at least some people of any religion, Christianity too)

It is rather too easy to see one man fly around the room and then conclude that the whole of starwars must be true - or whatever mythology that man tries to sell you.

Since I have become a believer it has been far more than just my individual witness. There is the collective witness. The corporate witness. That is people of all different walks of life who probably wouldn't even get along so well in themselves, who corporately are all experiencing the same Christ.

I can go all over this globe, call a brother in Christ, and immediately there is a bond of commonality. We know that we are of the brotherhood. I know that the God I touch is the same God that he or she touches. It is something very deep.

Christians often cite Christ's miracles as evidence of his divinity or of the validity of his claims, yet this is not the case in the slightest. If Jesus feed five thousand with 2 fish, then all this proves is that he knew a way to feed five thousand with 2 fish. It doesn't prove that what else he tells you about God or heaven or anything else is valid.

I think you are making up Christians to be something and then leveling some criticisms.

I know of no Christian who accepts Christ's divinity based on that one incident alone. But if you want to talk about a miracle, I think the resurrection is the one you should talk about.

That is the miracle that He announced beforehand a number of times. When He came through it, sure, we began to consider His claim of divinity as entirely plausible.

But saying, " Oh, Christians look at the feeding of 5,000, and it convinced them that Jesus was God in the flesh. " I think that is mostly your imagined Christians of your invention to suit your criticism.

Of course the accumalation of many such "signs" was an contributing factor.

By the way, John calls the miracluous events as "signs" to indicate that Christ intended each of them to signify some more profound truth. They were not just "tricks" to show He could be supernatural. They were "signs" usually with a more profound symbolic aspect to them.

Ie, The feeding of the multitude with what the disciples gathered up and distributed. I think this has something to do with the 12 disciples of Christ absolutely continueing to carry out what the Son of God did. This is the case.

We believe becausee of the apostles writing, preaching, ministering. And this obedient following of Jesus effectively was the work of Jesus Himself. He placed into thier hands. They enjoyed. And they miraculous distributed the very same thing by way of extension and continuation.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, He who believes into Me, the works which I do he shall do also; and greater than these he shall do because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12)
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jun '12 06:41
    Originally posted by jaywill
    And my point is that a theist faith is often at least partly based on some personal 'spiritual' experience they have had.

In most of the Christians I know accepting [b]facts
    came before experience.

A seeking person accepted facts first. He decided to accept some stated fact of the word of God. Faith was put ...[text shortened]... r than these he shall do because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12) [/b][/b]
    The resurrection of Christ was the big thing that convinced me too. That is the basis for the Christian faith; and He did it the way He said He would and not according to the way many Christian churches say He did it. If He had done it the way many Christian churches say he did, then I would have to call Him a false prophet and a liar. It is not just the empty tomb in Jerusalem, the Shroud of Turin, and the Sudarium of Oviedo that has convinced me. I am also convinced by the Holy Spirit.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree