1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 17:45
    Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism." (Acts 10:34 NIV)

If this is the case, will God not treat equally the 'good atheist' and the 'good Christian?' And Is this not why he gave atonement to 'all' mankind, not just the faithful?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism." (Acts 10:34 NIV)

If this is the case, will God not treat equally the 'good atheist' and the 'good Christian?' And Is this not why he gave atonement to 'all' mankind, not just the faithful?
    Yes .. unfortunately Christians want to feel that they are special so they argue against that principle.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:44

I thought you studied theology?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:491 edit
    That is a wonderful verse.

I am sure you went on to read Acts 17 where Paul says further:

" Therefore, having overlooked the times of ignorance, God now charges all men everywhere to repent.

Because He has set a day in which He is to judge the world in righteousness by a man whom He has designated, having furnished proof to all by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:30,31)

What do you think today about that passage ?
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:501 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I thought you studied theology?
    Indeed. Am just putting the question out there for discussion.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:56
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Yes .. unfortunately Christians want to feel that they are special so they argue against that principle.

Hey. Why shouldn't we feel like we're special ?

We joined to a SPECIAL Jesus.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:08
    Originally posted by sonship
    That is a wonderful verse.

I am sure you went on to read [b]Acts 17
    where Paul says further:

" Therefore, having overlooked the times of ignorance, God now charges all men everywhere to repent.

Because He has set a day in which He is to judge the world in righteousness by a man whom He has designated, having furnished proof to all b ...[text shortened]... m from the dead." (Acts 17:30,31)

What do you think today about that passage ?[/b]
    Yes, also a wonderful verse. Do you not think it possible though for an atheist to repent and yet remain an atheist?

Repent definition:

1. To feel remorse, contrition, or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite:
    2. To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavior.
    3. To become a more moral or religious person as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:53
    Yes, also a wonderful verse. Do you not think it possible though for an atheist to repent and yet remain an atheist?

Repent definition:

1. To feel remorse, contrition, or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite:
    2. To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavi ...[text shortened]... To become a more moral or religious person as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

No. He certainly hasn't changed his mind about God. Right?
    He still hasn't changed his mind about unbelief in God. Right?

Now he may repent and not want be in organized religion of any kind.

Repent definition:

2. To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavior.
    3. To become a more moral or religious person as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like all of that definition as far as repentance towards God is concerned. I will try to explain a little latter perhaps.

But it may not be necessary because I think the most crucial part is to change the mind. That is to change the way one thinks.

And an Atheist who is sorry for something but remains unbelieving in God has not changed his mind.

What you are talking about is more self reform or self improvement. True repentance toward God breaks the backbone of one's self reliance. It is not to turn over a new leaf. It is the planting of a whole new living plant.

God is born into you.
    Like a hand into a glove, He just fits.
    But the change is radical, the self reform or self improvement you suggest is not the real repentance the Bible speaks of for salvation.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:58

since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous - Matthew 5:45
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 20:01
    [b] Yes, also a wonderful verse. Do you not think it possible though for an atheist to repent and yet remain an atheist?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

No. He certainly hasn't changed his mind about God. Right?
    He still hasn't changed his mind about unbelief in God. Right?

Now he may repent and not want ...[text shortened]... rm or self improvement you suggest is not the real repentance the Bible speaks of for salvation.[/b]
    ' It is not to turn over a new leaf. It is the planting of a whole new living plant.'

Hey, i rather like that. Will ponder on it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:042 edits
    Indeed. Am just putting the question out there for discussion.
    34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

I'm sure you will recognise that immediate context is critical.

Note: coincidentally v35 touches on bigdog's and captain strange's threads too.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:402 edits

Well would it help to know God sees people, NOT as good Atheist and good Christians?
    It would also be important to know all of us are sinners and have fallen short, the labels
    we apply to one another are meaningless to God.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 07:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism [b]35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

I'm sure you will recognise that immediate context is critical.

Note: coincidentally v35 touches on bigdog's and captain strange's threads too.[/b]
    Context is indeed important, (and i was pretty sure the first Christian who came along would provide it) but an opening post in a thread needs a little controversy. 😉
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 08:59
    What you are talking about is more self reform or self improvement. True repentance toward God breaks the backbone of one's self reliance.
    Yes, that is indeed what many religions/cults do.

It breaks you down and builds you back up.

You are a pitiful human being sonship. I sincerely hope you don't have children, or if you do they've managed to break free from your toxic reliance on make-believe.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 17:111 edit
    Context is indeed important, (and i was pretty sure the first Christian who came along would provide it) but an opening post in a thread needs a little controversy. 😉
    Yes I agree, a good OP will not solve it's own premise and will possibly create a little positive tension to facilitate discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree