1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    16 Dec '07 23:37
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
  2. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    16 Dec '07 23:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
    You're an atheist?

    No, to answer your question.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 Dec '07 23:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
    Not nativity scenes, but tree and lights, yes.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    274
    16 Dec '07 23:44
    Originally posted by josephw
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
    Nativity scenes, no. Christmas trees and lights, yes but then they have no religious significance as far as I am aware.

    --- Penguin.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    16 Dec '07 23:46
    Originally posted by scherzo
    You're an atheist?

    No, to answer your question.
    Are you kidding?
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    16 Dec '07 23:48
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Not nativity scenes, but tree and lights, yes.
    The children love it. It's a good thing for them. The gifts. The hugs and kisses.

    We have a tree and all set up at my son-in-laws.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    16 Dec '07 23:49
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Nativity scenes, no. Christmas trees and lights, yes but then they have no religious significance as far as I am aware.

    --- Penguin.
    Unless you have a star on top!
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    16 Dec '07 23:55
    Originally posted by josephw
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
    No nativity scene. But my wife and I have a small, artificial Christmas tree with mostly non-religious decorations. We do have an angel or two mixed in there. Holdovers from my wife's childhood.
  9. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    50034
    17 Dec '07 00:00
    Originally posted by josephw
    have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
    I don't!
    We've got the works - tree, lights, nativity scene - my daughter's even got a kid's picture bible that she's reading at the moment.
    I don't have any problem with it - she's only 6.
    When she's older I'll tell her about my point of view - if she wants to follow me that's cool, if she prefers to buy into the christian stuff that's cool too.
  10. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    17 Dec '07 00:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Are you kidding?
    Yes. 😀

    Knowing some of your other posts, your title, and your avatar, for me to truthfully suggest you being atheist would suggest an IQ of about 70. Strike that; divide it by ten.
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    17 Dec '07 00:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    No nativity scene. But my wife and I have a small, artificial Christmas tree with mostly non-religious decorations. We do have an angel or two mixed in there. Holdovers from my wife's childhood.
    When I was a child, and I'll still do it, I would lay down under the tree and look up through all the lights. It was surreal.
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    17 Dec '07 00:10
    Originally posted by amannion
    We've got the works - tree, lights, nativity scene - my daughter's even got a kid's picture bible that she's reading at the moment.
    I don't have any problem with it - she's only 6.
    When she's older I'll tell her about my point of view - if she wants to follow me that's cool, if she prefers to buy into the christian stuff that's cool too.
    I would struggle with the idea that one of my children might entertain the thought of being an atheist. I would think I did something wrong.
    I can understand why you might not be too concerned. After all, from your perspective, as long as our children are balanced and happy what difference does it make.
    Did I say that right?
  13. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    17 Dec '07 00:12
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Yes. 😀

    Knowing some of your other posts, your title, and your avatar, for me to truthfully suggest you being atheist would suggest an IQ of about 70. Strike that; divide it by ten.
    Good! I would hate the idea that I had given you the wrong impression. 😉
  14. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    17 Dec '07 00:16
    Originally posted by amannion
    We've got the works - tree, lights, nativity scene - my daughter's even got a kid's picture bible that she's reading at the moment.
    I don't have any problem with it - she's only 6.
    When she's older I'll tell her about my point of view - if she wants to follow me that's cool, if she prefers to buy into the christian stuff that's cool too.
    Thats the right approach. There should be no force or indoctrination either way. Your daughter will thank you for it.
  15. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    50034
    17 Dec '07 00:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    I would struggle with the idea that one of my children might entertain the thought of being an atheist. I would think I did something wrong.
    I can understand why you might not be too concerned. After all, from your perspective, as long as our children are balanced and happy what difference does it make.
    Did I say that right?
    I'd rather she be an atheist. Obviously I think I'm right, and I'd prefer to see her follow my lead in that respect. But I'm not that fussed. My bigger concern is that she be healthy and happy - if she's a healthy happy christian, then my job is done.
    (Mind you if she turned into a raving literal fundamentalist then there'd be problems. But I'm pretty confident I can weed anything like that out of her.)
Back to Top