1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 16:42
    ...... of the notions which are usually referred to as false gods or idols ? ...... for instance the false god called "money", the false god called "earthly possessions" the false god called "fame", the false god called "power" ?

Do you believe as an atheist or agnost in the true existence of these notions and their workings in reality ?
    Do you think it is a good or bad idea to pursue their demands ?

Do atheists believe in the existence of false gods, idols ?

What are your thoughts, dear atheists ?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 16:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    ...... of the notions which are usually referred to as false gods or idols ? ...... for instance the false god called "money", the false god called "earthly possessions" the false god called "fame", the false god called "power" ?

Do you believe as an atheist or agnost in the true existence of these notions and their workings in reality ?
    Do you ...[text shortened]... eists believe in the existence of false gods, idols ?

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you clarify this, please.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 17:15

Do you ...[text shortened]... eists believe in the existence of false gods, idols ?

As an agnost, I would contest that our definitions of "god" differ.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 17:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't know what you're talking about. Could you clarify this, please.
    I think he is talking about "attachments" that become overly important.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 17:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think he is talking about "attachments" that become overly important.
    He sounds like a Buddhist trying to get us to give up our worldly attachments. I understand that christians used to be like that in the very beginning. Not anymore.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 17:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    He sounds like a Buddhist trying to get us to give up our worldly attachments. I understand that christians used to be like that in the very beginning. Not anymore.
    I think he was just wanting to hear you say "yea, we worship idols and false gods." I think that would have made his day.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 17:35
    I think he was just wanting to hear you say "yea, we worship idols and false gods." I think that would have made his day.
    I worship Billy Idol. 😵
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 18:44

What I want is open and honest discussion.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 18:55
    Originally posted by darvlay
    As an agnost, I would contest that our definitions of "god" differ.

Let's assume somebody obeys the demands of for instance "power" and neglects in his pursuit of reaching this goal "justice".

In connection with the attachment and the pursuit of "power", you could call "power" an idol, a false god.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 20:14

Let's assume somebody obeys the demands of for instance "power" and neglects in his pursuit of reaching this goal "justice".

In connection with the attachment and the pursuit of "power", you could call "power" an idol, a false god.
    One of the defining features of polytheism is the attachment of supernatural causes to things like the pursuit of power, an atheist couldn't be a practitioner of polytheism and remain an atheist.
    If by "idol" you mean a metaphor for an desire to have power , thats an altogether different ball of wax, because you are using the term to mean a human desire. In that sense an Atheist could have the entire range "false gods "

Think in terms of the "Seven Deadly Sins " = "false gods "
  11. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 21:45
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    One of the defining features of polytheism is the attachment of supernatural causes to things like the pursuit of power, an atheist couldn't be a practitioner of polytheism and remain an atheist.
    If by "idol" you mean a metaphor for an desire to have power , thats an altogether different ball of wax, becau ...[text shortened]... ange "false gods "

Yes. Agreed. I can't see power, money, sex, or any other desire for a material object or specific pleasure as being interpreted as a god or "false god/idol" as Ivanhoe references. Those things are desires and wants.

An alcoholic may crave a drink, but I don't think he'd ever see it as an idol to worship. Alcohol may ruin his life, he may do anything to get his hands on a bottle, but still he wouldn't see it as a god in the sense that we think of god.

12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 22:02
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    If by "idol" you mean a metaphor for an desire to have power , thats an altogether different ball of wax, becau ...[text shortened]... ange "false gods "

Correct. What are these seven deadly sins ? I never could remember them ..... oops ......

Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth.

[In the meantime Ivanhoe starts listening to Kurt Weill's "The Seven Deadly Sins" sung by Lotte Lenya ......... Nicht wahr, Anna ? Ja ... Anna ......]
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 22:04
    Originally posted by wib
    Yes. Agreed. I can't see power, money, sex, or any other desire for a material object or specific pleasure as being interpreted as a god or "false god/idol" as Ivanhoe references. Those things are desires and wants.

An alcoholic may crave a drink, but I don't think he'd ever see it as an idol to worship. Alcohol may ruin his life, he may do anythin ...[text shortened]... hands on a bottle, but still he wouldn't see it as a god in the sense that we think of god.

That's interesting wib. My way of seeing what a god is and does in our lives goes in this direction.
  14. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 23:292 edits
    ... for instance the false god called "money"...[/b]
    I believe a million dollars worth of hospital-based treatment would go further toward healing me of pancreatic cancer (just to pick an example) than a bottle of holy anointing oil would.

A few years back, the actor who calls himself 'Mr. T' was preaching on Trinity Broadcasting. He had recently experienced some medical problem (cancer if I recall correctly), and had gone the usual medical route to have it treated. He claimed he was now healed, but he still gave glory to the Christian god for the healing. I am more favorably impressed when believers rely entirely on faith healing, and thereby leave medical insurance companies (or taxpayers, in the case of indigent believers) unburdened.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree