1. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 20:05
    This is related to the thread on whether atheists answer questions.
    I have often noticed that certain topics or questions result in avoidance by theists and one reason given by them is that they are afraid that atheists are trying to trap them. Does the same ever happen with atheists? Do you ever see atheists worrying about getting trapped and thus not answering questions or avoiding certain threads?
    It seems to that if you are confident of your position/beliefs then you shouldn't be afraid of being trapped.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 20:211 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have often noticed that certain topics or questions result in avoidance by theists and one reason given by them is that they are afraid that atheists are trying to trap them. Does the same ever happen with atheists? Do you ever see atheists worrying about getting trapped and thus not a ...[text shortened]... hat if you are confident of your position/beliefs then you shouldn't be afraid of being trapped.
    And sometimes the theist's supposed "fear of being trapped" is just a "fear of being subjected to endless inane questioning periods over semantics". How many decent threads have been ruined by skeptics repeating the same question (regardless of the answer they get) ad nauseum?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 20:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 21:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And sometimes the theist's supposed "fear of being trapped" is just a "fear of being subjected to endless inane questioning periods over semantics". How many decent threads have been ruined by skeptics repeating the same question (regardless of the answer they get) ad nauseum?
    Do atheists have this same fear of endless inane questions?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 23:01
    if you are secure in your faith, you don't mind questions.

if you don't believe your god is a psychopath who will condemn you to an eternity of torment for questioning obvious gruesome stuff from the bible, you don't mind questions.

"How many decent threads have been ruined by skeptics repeating the same question (regardless of the answer they get) ad nauseum?"
    none.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 23:11
    I have often noticed that certain topics or questions result in avoidance by theists and one reason given by them is that they are afraid that atheists are trying to trap them. Does the same ever happen with atheists? Do you ever see atheists worrying about getting trapped and thus not a ...[text shortened]... hat if you are confident of your position/beliefs then you shouldn't be afraid of being trapped.
    #1 Atheists can't be trapped. They have an answer for everything. For example; Atheist claim there is no God, as though they know everything there is to know, like God does.

#2 Theists only avoid questions when they know there's a trap, even though atheists don't realize they're laying one.

😀
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 23:32
    By "inane" questions, I take it you are actually referring to "inconvenient" questions, or questions that probe or highlight the inconsistency, contradictions, incoherence, and sometimes the sheer nonsense of the claims and comments they address.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 00:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That's why the term "agnostic" has become so popular. It's for atheists who are afraid of being seen drinking at the same bar as Richard Dawkins.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 00:25
    I'll bite.

Is science to be trusted?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 00:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'll bite.

In what sense?

Trusted to be right?

What are you asking?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 00:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 07:18
    How many decent threads have been ruined by skeptics repeating the same question (regardless of the answer they get) ad nauseum?
    None.

The reason these threads go on and on is the very reason they are of interest. The level of avoidance, evasion or blatant obfuscation by some Chrisitans here in response to on topic direct questions about thier beliefs is astonishing.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 09:18
    How many decent threads have been ruined by skeptics repeating the same question (regardless of the answer they get) ad nauseum?
    I don't know. Can you give an example of such a thread?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 09:20
    Originally posted by josephw
    #1 Atheists can't be trapped.
    Good to know. Why does the same not apply to theists?

#2 Theists only avoid questions when they know there's a trap, even though atheists don't realize they're laying one.
    Why are there traps for theists and not atheists? What is different?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '15 09:26
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'll bite.

I assume you mean that to be a trap for atheists? Why is science associated with atheism?
    I would say that science is to be trusted - with a proper understanding of what science actually is. Scientists are not to be trusted - and the scientific method specifically states that scientists are not to be trusted. Scientific findings are only to be trusted when they are confirmed. Proper scientific method requires that a scientific finding be treated with utmost scepticism and tested in every possible way. Once tested, it is given trust, but only as far as is warranted by the evidence and the testing. I don't get in an aeroplane because it was designed by scientists and engineers, I get in it because I know how many fly and how few crash. But given a choice between science and any other method of discovery, I will pick science every time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree