1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 13:54
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    lately i've been wondering if the people in churches actually worship and live God. is it God or is it what people create to be God. how would you KNOW it is God, or just a whole lot of people being nice in a cupboard. i know this may be annoying, but i really do wonder.

take for example prayers. it's obvious that people within the system of a church would ...[text shortened]... you just pray for really big things that are impossible for mere mortals to make happen.
    A. No one can know the mind of God, no matter how many moldy texts you have.

B. As I understand it, not only is God the image of perfection, but he also controls everything. By this definition, if your prayer seems to be answered, then God is behind it, every time.

C. "it's easy, you just pray for really big things that are impossible for mere mortals to make happen" Are you suggesting that we test God by demanding He prove Himself by miraculous deeds? Foolish mortal.
    Perhaps you need to start testing yourself rather than being the watchdog of God.
  2. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 20:16
    I never said it was wrong to pray. I only said it was wrong to pray for the sole reason of proving that your god is a true god.

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

If the people in the church you speak of are praying to God, then they are praying to God, period. If there is a spider or bug or whatever taking advantage of them, that is not their fault. They are still praying to God. If they are praying to something else, say the Bible or the church itself, or using prayer as some sort of mytical charm to ward off evil or get them stuff, that is something else.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 00:22
    say you pray for something/someone to change. so you pray and pray and pray. but really how does one KNOW that God has answered your prayers.

it's easy, you just pray for really big things that are impossible for mere mortals to make happen.
    Alas, most of us pray wrong. We usually ask for OUR will to be done, not His. Also, more often than not, we also go on to tell God HOW we want it done. We pray for God to change people or situations, or do something for us, even if it’s not what God wants for us. Then we wonder why nothing happens. Often what God wants to do is use the situation to change us so we will be more like Jesus. Sometimes He just wants us to trust Him to work things out when we can’t see a way.

Another thing that hinders us is sin in our life. Yes, sin in a Christian’s life. It doesn’t even have to be what we call “big” sin. If I’m not treating my wife right, the Bible says it will hinder my prayers. If I’m holding a grudge against somebody….same result.

Delay in getting an answer can also be the result of spiritual warfare we aren’t even aware of. Daniel waited 21 days for the answer to his prayer; it was held up because the angel that was sent with the answer was in a tussle with a demonic spirit.

How do you know it's God....for His own reasons God has chosen to work through humans (don't ask me why, God didn't consult with me) That's why we need preachers. Men are saved through hearing the Gospel preached, and how will they hear w/o a preacher? Anyway, God will often use another person to meet your need or bring about the thing you have been asking for. How do you KNOW? Nothing JUST HAPPENS....read the book of Ruth and look at all the things we humans would say JUST HAPPENED.

....long post, sorry, I wasn't trying to preach!
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 06:57
    GOD is an undefinable Totality.
    Each aspect of existence is an aspect of GOD.
    Each aspect within each of us is an aspect of GOD.
    To achieve even a miniscule degree of knowledge of GOD we must understand Self.
    Anyone who claims to know the mind of GOD is a fool and/or a liar.

Angela
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 11:48
    [b]sin don't matter about God answering your prayers.
    John 9:31. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 11:50
    [b]there is nothing wrong with holding a grudge,
    James 5:9. Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.

All this is in your Bible, assuming you have one and have actually read it. In case you haven't, you have now heard it.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 11:58
    Originally posted by masscat
    John 9:31. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
    Fascinating. That implies there are men who are not sinners.
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 13:05

ignorance for the people in iraq is a crime. how would you go about dealing with it then??[/b]
    I don't have the power or authority to do anything about it except cast my vote to get the rascal that's causing the problem out of office. This whole Iraq thing was a diversion...we went to get Bin Ladin; when he gave us the slip, Bush didn't want to come home with his tail between his legs and admit we couldn't catch the man, so they manufactured evidence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. That said, some other rascal will get into office and cause another problem. I remember the quagmire we got into in Viet Nam. It was Kennedy's way of diverting us from the Bay Of Pigs fiasco. I can only deal with the people I personally come into contact with everyday. If they ask my opinion, I'll give it, but I really don't expect it will have much influence.
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 13:36
    you sit there quoting me scriptures, yet you say you don't have the power or authority to do anything. yes you do. by saying that you are underestimating what God can do.

i want him in office, but at the same time i want him to behave in the correct maner, and not like a racist person who has more regard for america where he lives. i want to see him cry, ...[text shortened]... damage that america has done/ is doing. he won't, but he could at least try, by giving a DAMM.
    You want to see him cry for all the damage he has done? Won't happen until Judgment Day. We won't see what you want until Jesus reigns.
  10. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 13:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Fascinating. That implies there are men who are not sinners.
    If anybody says they are not sinners, they are lying. However, there are people, that when God looks at them, He sees their faith in Jesus, and they are accounted as righteousness.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:25
    If they did, they would not vote Republican.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 18:31
    lately i've been wondering if the people in churches actually worship and live God. is it God or is it what people create to be God. how would you KNOW it is God, or just a whole lot of people being nice in a cupboard. i know this may be annoying, but i really do wonder.

take for example prayers. it's obvious that people within the system of a church would ...[text shortened]... you just pray for really big things that are impossible for mere mortals to make happen.
    It is simply faith, which is where we all live anyway. Reality is what it is
    and so God being real and alive among His people is either true or
    not, but it isn't going to be the people that can prove that to you,
    only God can do that. He answers those that really do come to Him,
    not those that are playing with the idea. This is why in my opinion,
    a lot of people find God when they are at the end of their rope so
    to speak, they only care about the reality of God at that point it isn't
    a game or an experiment with them. Since God only deals in reality
    and holds people accountable for reality, God is the one you need to
    deal with to find out.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 20:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is simply faith, which is where we all live anyway. Reality is what it is
    and so God being real and alive among His people is either true or
    not, but it isn't going to be the people that can prove that to you,
    only God can do that. He answers those that really do come to Him,
    not those that are playing with the idea. This is why in my opinion,
    a lot ...[text shortened]... olds people accountable for reality, God is the one you need to
    deal with to find out.
    Kelly
    Somebody rec that.