1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 May '13 00:40
    There is discussion around the idea of eliminating Islam. For those involved, and others, do you know any Muslims? If so, what is your experience of them?

    My closest Muslim friends are a man with whom I worked for most of my career and his wife and to a lesser degree their two children. They were at my wedding and have been with us at parties and other social events over the years, including being part of a wine-tasting group where we have had a lot of fun together, and ski-weekends in Idaho. They honor the Islamic holy days and are definitely strongly within their Muslim community but are generally secular. We had inadvertently purchased a prayer rug for our hallway and I realized it might make them uncomfortable using it as a hall rug and when I asked, he said it did, a little, so we "repurposed" it. He's the CEO of a small company, having a PhD and MBA. He is dismayed at radical violent Islam, as are the members of his community. His mailbox was targeted with bricks after 9-11 even though he's Indian, not Arab.

    Does anyone here have a comparable friendship with a practicing Muslim? Could we back off a little from the blanket condemnation of Islam?
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    27 May '13 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    There is discussion around the idea of eliminating Islam. For those involved, and others, do you know any Muslims? If so, what is your experience of them?

    My closest Muslim friends are a man with whom I worked for most of my career and his wife and to a lesser degree their two children. They were at my wedding and have been with us at parties and other soci with a practicing Muslim? Could we back off a little from the blanket condemnation of Islam?
    At my college a muslim family ran the cafeteria and they were really nice. The man was a dodgers fan. He had died from stomach problems. I had given his wife a sympathy card and she was very greatful. I talked with the guy a lot about the dodgers. This was 2003 to 06. They are the only muslim I know. But a muslim was in my fire academy when 9/11 happened. He was cool, his nickname was no neck.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91648
    27 May '13 03:51
    The muslims in my community are very mindful of the redneck mentality lurking just north of Gympie,(as well as in Brisbane).
    They seem to be more mindful than the average community member.

    Ours is still an evolving community.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    27 May '13 05:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The muslims in my community are very mindful of the redneck mentality lurking just north of Gympie,(as well as in Brisbane).
    They seem to be more mindful than the average community member.

    Ours is still an evolving community.
    Uh oh, there you go using that evil word "evolving'🙂
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93485
    27 May '13 09:54
    lots, many muslim friends at school, college. played in football teams with lots of muslims as a teenager and man. stayed friends with several from childhood. lived with one while in my early 20's. socialized with many (always good to have a non-drinker in the group). have especially fond memories hanging out at my muslim friends family house and being made to feel like one of the family and i cannot speak highly enough of the sense of community they had.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615453
    27 May '13 10:23
    I have an friend of over 40 years who is a Muslim. His name is Al. We both played in scholastic chess tournaments in high school (different schools). We served together as officers of the Texas Chess Assoc. 25 years ago. I worked for him as a researcher (real estate foreclosures) around 9/11 and I asked him for his take on it. He explained that what many people perceive as religious differences are actually culturally differences. Yes, he prays several times daily and no, his wife doesn't wear a hajib. Politically he is a conservative Republican and 100% American. Any Christians who have any problems with the Muslim kneeling and bowing during prayer should make themselves aware of history of Christian prayer. This was the standard way a Christian prayed 1500 years ago.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 May '13 12:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    There is discussion around the idea of eliminating Islam. For those involved, and others, do you know any Muslims? If so, what is your experience of them?

    My closest Muslim friends are a man with whom I worked for most of my career and his wife and to a lesser degree their two children. They were at my wedding and have been with us at parties and other soci ...[text shortened]... with a practicing Muslim? Could we back off a little from the blanket condemnation of Islam?
    I have a friend who is a Muslim. He has never killed an infidel in cold blood and says he has never considered it. Furthermore, he does not plan to do so in the future. 😛

    You kids need to lighten up. Islam needs to deal with those in their religion that preach hate and killing, otherwise, it will continue and Islam will become a larger and larger target.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    27 May '13 17:46
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I have an friend of over 40 years who is a Muslim. His name is Al. We both played in scholastic chess tournaments in high school (different schools). We served together as officers of the Texas Chess Assoc. 25 years ago. I worked for him as a researcher (real estate foreclosures) around 9/11 and I asked him for his take on it. He explained that what many pe ...[text shortened]... re of history of Christian prayer. This was the standard way a Christian prayed 1500 years ago.
    I have no problem with the way they pray. It is who the pray to that is the problem.

    The Instructor
Back to Top