1. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 17:361 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Before hastily condemning the papacy, could someone highlight the section of the article which states that Benedict personally bought these accessories?
    Could you add more? I ask because I don't think how he got the stuff is pertinent. How hard would it be for the man to politely say "I appreciate the gesture but I don't think I can tell people to help the poor when the cost of my outfit would feed a village for a month."
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 22:24
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Could you add more? I ask because I don't think how he got the stuff is pertinent. How hard would it be for the man to politely say "I appreciate the gesture but I don't think I can tell people to help the poor when the cost of my outfit would feed a village for a month."
    What if the clothes are presented as a gift from a State ambassador or inherited from previous popes and therefore are historical artifacts? Many of his vestments were worn by his predessors; his shoes were donated; even his new mercedes was free. To refuse them would offer no monetary benefit for poverty.

I also suspect that it is an exaggeration to say that the cost of the Pope's clothes could provide for an entire village for a month.

And as it is Christmas, I suppose you followed your lofty words and gave all your gifts to charity or else encouraged others to do so?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 22:34
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    What if the clothes are presented as a gift from a State ambassador or inherited from previous popes and therefore are historical artifacts? Many of his vestments were worn by his predessors; his shoes were donated; even his new mercedes was free. To refuse them would offer no monetary benefit for poverty.

I also suspect that it is an exaggeration to sa ...[text shortened]... ollowed your lofty words and gave all your gifts to charity or else encouraged others to do so?
    Sell the Mercedes.
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 00:021 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree