1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:23
    I'd be interested to hear if you do - especially if you could also be so kind as to detail your reasoning.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:30
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'd be interested to hear if you do - especially if you could also be so kind as to detail your reasoning.
    I've lived in a Muslim majority country for quite a long while. Even among devout and pious Muslims I've known, I have never encountered anyone who "hated" the Christian bible. "Sceptical", yes. "Unimpressed", maybe. "Nonplussed", sure. But "hate"? No.

I do think Dasa may have expressed feelings at the very least adjacent to 'hate' - maybe - in some of his diatribes about 'false religions' and the 'fabricated' bible and the slaughter of animals and the womanizing etc.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:581 edit
    I certainly wouldn't say I like the Bible, but to be honest I don't so much hate the book as much as I strongly dislike what it (and similar books) has manifested. I hate the cruelty, division, hostility, oppression, and general silliness that has been inspired by this human written book.

Similarly I don't hate gunpowder - but I strongly dislike that it causes people to end up with nasty painful holes in them that lead to their loss of existence.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 16:11
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I certainly wouldn't say I like the Bible, but to be honest I don't so much hate the book as much as I strongly dislike what it (and similar books) has manifested. I hate the cruelty, division, hostility, oppression, and general silliness that has been inspired by this human written book.

Similarly I don't hate gunpowder - but I strongly dislike that it causes people to end up with nasty painful holes in them that lead to their loss of existence.
    But fireworks are fantastic ;-)
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 16:11

The human written book predicted just that ..

Matt 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 16:24
    Originally posted by Rajk999

Matt 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
    It is unfortunate you find that the fulfillment of such a prediction is so profound 😞
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 17:02
    It is unfortunate you find that the fulfillment of such a prediction is so profound 😞
    I consider myself lucky that I have faith which you might never have. I pity atheists.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 17:14
    I consider myself lucky that I have faith which you might never have. I pity atheists.
    Yes, I've encountered quite a number of followers of various faiths who pity those who don't share their particular religious outlook. It would seem more apposite to save your pity until such a time as they actually undergo some form of suffering consequent to not sharing your belief system.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 17:59
    Yes, I've encountered quite a number of followers of various faiths who pity those who don't share their particular religious outlook. It would seem more apposite to save your pity until such a time as they actually undergo some form of suffering consequent to not sharing your belief system.
    Thanks for the tip, but I prefer it my way. Plus I have never offered atheists my advice why are you offering yours. Is it because you think you are better off than Christians?
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 18:03
    Thanks for the tip, but I prefer it my way. Plus I have never offered atheists my advice why are you offering yours. Is it because you think you are better off than Christians?
    Playing the same game:

Thanks for [your pity], but I prefer it my way. Plus I have never offered [theists] my [pity] why are you offering yours. Is it because you think you are better off than [non-]Christians?
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 18:31
    I wasn't offering advice. I was suggesting that it is not really appropriate to feel pity towards somebody who is not suffering.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 18:47

i guess the peacemakers are no longer blessed.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 19:21
    I wasn't offering advice. I was suggesting that it is not really appropriate to feel pity towards somebody who is not suffering.
    Yet.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 19:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yet.
    I'm not sure that it will ever be appropriate to feel pity towards somebody who's not suffering, but I'm thinking that's probably not what you meant.

Actually, it's not clear to me that there will ever be an appropriate occasion to feel pity towards non-believers. Don't we all just get deleted from existence come judgement day? Or are you of the hell-believing variety of christian?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 19:41
    I'm not sure that it will ever be appropriate to feel pity towards somebody who's not suffering, but I'm thinking that's probably not what you meant.

Actually, it's not clear to me that there will ever be an appropriate occasion to feel pity towards non-believers. Don't we all just get deleted from existence come judgement day? Or are you of the hell-believing variety of christian?
    No, you're right. I meant, "not suffering... yet."

No, I imagine there will be time between judgement and the casting out that will lead to much "wailing and gnashing of teeth". That seems like suffering to me. But one could also argue that the hate and disgust some atheists feel toward God now is a form of suffering.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree