1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 19:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, you're right. I meant, "not suffering... yet."

No, I imagine there will be time between judgement and the casting out that will lead to much "wailing and gnashing of teeth". That seems like suffering to me. But one could also argue that the hate and disgust some atheists feel toward God now is a form of suffering.
    You raise another interesting point. Josephw seemed confident that there was hatred from atheists towards the bible, but so far there doesn't appear to be much in the way of support for this.

I would suggest that there is probably very little in the way of hatred or disgust felt by atheists towards god himself, either. I'm sure you'll find some who will voice a hatred of a particular religion (or just religion itself), and even some who may feel hatred towards some individual proponents of a religion, but I doubt you'll encounter many who honestly feel so strongly negative towards a god in whose existence they don't believe. In fact, the most strident expressions of negativity in this forum appear to be those expressed by supporters of one religion towards followers of another.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 23:44
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You raise another interesting point. Josephw seemed confident that there was hatred from atheists towards the bible, but so far there doesn't appear to be much in the way of support for this.

I would suggest that there is probably very little in the way of hatred or disgust felt by atheists towards god himself, either. I'm sure you'll find some w ...[text shortened]... um appear to be those expressed by supporters of one religion towards followers of another.
    He is probably referring to the hatred of what is written in the Holy Bible.
    They love sin and hate righteousness.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sin is that which displeases god.

If you don't believe in god then sin as a concept has no meaning.

This is not to be confused with morals which are a different concept.

Some things that are considered morals are alleged to be things that displease god,
    but not all things that displease god (or even most) appear to be immoral, and not all
    things that are immoral displease god (at least according to the bible, and what else
    do we have to go on) so while there is overlap, they are not equivalent concepts.

So Atheists don't 'love sin'.
    Sin isn't a concept that we recognize.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:59
    I'd be interested to hear if you do - especially if you could also be so kind as to detail your reasoning.
    Hating the Bible is as foolish as hating a firearm. It's not the Bible, it's some of the idiots that use it to terrorize others.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 06:36
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Hating the Bible is as foolish as hating a firearm. It's not the Bible, it's some of the idiots that use it to terrorize others.
    True enough, but I've never heard the SWAT team say, "Put the Bible down and come out with your hands up!" Maybe they should. 😕
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 10:17
    I'd be interested to hear if you do - especially if you could also be so kind as to detail your reasoning.
    I don't hate the bible, as I don't hate Mein Kampff. It's just books, no more, written by men, and opinions by men.

But I wouldn't recommend them to children either. There are a lot of cruelties in both of them. And when people use them, and belive in them literary, I get scared.

Many high militaries has held the book in one hand and a weapon in the other,saying "I am better than you, because of this book!"
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 13:47
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    True enough, but I've never heard the SWAT team say, "Put the Bible down and come out with your hands up!" Maybe they should. 😕
    Well they tried that in Waco, Texas once upon a time. It didn't work out to well.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 13:57
    Originally posted by Agerg
    It is unfortunate you find that the fulfillment of such a prediction is so profound 😞
    When you see injustice then division is a must. Otherwise, injustice becomes the status quo.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 19:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Who is this 'they' that hates righteousness? Can you find one person who is not demonstrably insane who will admit to hating righteousness?
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 19:16
    Who is this 'they' that hates righteousness? Can you find one person who is not demonstrably insane who will admit to hating righteousness?
    It's the passive-aggressive method of Christian prostelytizing.

"You won't convert to our religion. Why do you hate God and the Bible so much?!?! Waaaaaahhhhh!!"

I suppose its better than being threatened with eternal suffering or being burned as a witch.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 20:28
    Compared to say Catch-22 I hate the bible; the plots are muddled, the characters 2 dimensional and the prose boring. Not even a happy ending ...
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 07:57
    It makes for poor kindling unless you tear the pages out one by one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree