1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 20:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I do support rvsakhadeo's freedom of expression. Clearly. I just don't agree with him when he expresses support, as he does in this case, for the curtailment of someone else's freedom of expression and, as we can see from many of his other comments on this topic, an undermining of the right to free speech in general.
    You clearly do. These posts weren't directed at you and you have said nothing hypocritical in this thread.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 21:003 edits
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    No but to ridicule, yes ! After all the Golden temple is the holiest shrine of Sikhs.
    Get a SoH and come back.

I'm a Christian, there are things that are precious and holy to me but I recognise that other people find them silly, humorous or an object for ridicule.

It's life, it's humanity and what all you "precious" types need to wake up to and realise is that what will keep us together is recognising and embracing our differences, not getting pathetically bent out of shape just because someone sees humour in our beliefs.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 00:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]I don't think anybody has proposed taking Dhillon's right to file a lawsuit away. It's a red herring. The OP was pretty clear. So you think the joke has promoted "hatred" of Sikhs?

Originally posted by josephw
    Only amongst the bigoted.

Originally posted by FMF
    Really? Have you actually seen ...[text shortened]... iginally posted by josephw[/i]
    [b]Slithering, twisting and turning.

How so?[/b]
    Are you so shallow?

I don't believe a joke can promote hatred. But a bigot might not see it that way.

I'm only replying because there's an outside chance that you are not aware of how you manipulated the words to make it sound like I contradicted myself. If that was your intention, then you have a bigger problem.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 00:36
    Are you so shallow?

I don't believe a joke can promote hatred. But a bigot might not see it that way.

I'm only replying because there's an outside chance that you are not aware of how you manipulated the words to make it sound like I contradicted myself. If that was your intention, then you have a bigger problem.
    I simply quoted our exchange verbatim. One post after another. Every word. How do you claim have they been "manipulated"?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    I simply quoted our exchange verbatim. One post after another. Every word. How do you claim have they been "manipulated"?
    "Because I asked you if you thought the joke had promoted "hatred" of Sikhs? And you said it had. And then when I asked you how you figure it promoted "hatred",.."

I never said I thought a joke promoted hatred. You said I said that, but I didn't.

You are adding things to what I say that I didn't say. You are making inferences. If you are not aware that you're doing that, then I'm telling you so that you can be more cautious.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:07
    I never said I thought a joke promoted hatred. You said I said that, but I didn't.
    You did. I quoted you verbatim. You do realize the gag was about Romney, don't you? You have claimed it does promote "hatred" for Sikhs in certain quarters. How so?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    You did. I quoted you verbatim. You do realize the gag was about Romney, don't you? You have claimed it does promote "hatred" for Sikhs in certain quarters. How so?
    "You have claimed it does promote "hatred" for Sikhs in certain quarters."

No I didn't.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:12
    No I didn't.
    I quoted you verbatim. If you want to distance yourself from what you said, fine. You could do it with more grace, I think, to put it mildly.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I quoted you verbatim. If you want to distance yourself from what you said, fine. You could do it with more grace, I think, to put it mildly.
    You have it jumbled up in your mind, because you want it to read that way. You took what I said out of its context, and then said I said things I didn't say.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:241 edit
    You have it jumbled up in your mind, because you want it to read that way. You took what I said out of its context, and then said I said things I didn't say.
    I quoted our exchange verbatim. I added nothing. I left nothing out. The context and the content is all there, intact. I did not manipulate it in any way. If you regret claiming that the gag about Romney promoted "hatred" for Sikhs in certain quarters, then you should just withdraw the claim instead of all this deflection. People can go and read what you said for themselves.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    I quoted our exchange verbatim. I added nothing. I left nothing out. The context and the content is all there, intact. I did not manipulate it in any way. If you regret claiming that the gag about Romney promoted "hatred" for Sikhs in certain quarters, then you should just withdraw the claim instead of all this deflection. People can go and read what you said for themselves.
    Yes you did add to what I said. Not only did you say I said something I didn't, but you inferred I meant something else by what I did say as well.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 01:461 edit
    Yes you did add to what I said. Not only did you say I said something I didn't, but you inferred I meant something else by what I did say as well.
    Ho hum. Well. You posted what you posted. It's still there for others to read. Frame it how you will. But, for what it's worth, I reckon you should have just corrected yourself once you realised you did not want to stand by what you'd claimed rather than frame it as someone somehow for some reason seeking to deceive people about you.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 02:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ho hum. Well. You posted what you posted. It's still there for others to read. Frame it how you will. But, for what it's worth, I reckon you should have just corrected yourself once you realised you did not want to stand by what you'd claimed rather than frame it as someone somehow for some reason seeking to deceive people about you.
    I am not near as good at OTB chess as I am here. But on the 4th of July
    Holiday weekend in 1982 I went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where the
    World Open Chess Tournament was being held. I believe I walked away
    with $4,500 in prize money. Have you ever won that much money
    playing chess? I doubt if you have and I doubt if you have the right
    to bear false witness against me.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 02:061 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am not near as good at OTB chess as I am here. But on the 4th of July
    Holiday weekend in 1982 I went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where the
    World Open Chess Tournament was being held. I believe I walked away
    with $4,500 in prize money. Have you ever won that much money
    playing chess? I doubt if you have and I doubt if you have the right
    to bear false witness against me.
    It's not about me. It's about the engine matchup rates data, RJHinds. It's about the analysis that has been done on your moves in numerous games of yours. It's about the evidence that has been assembled. It's not about your story about $4,500 in prize money 30 years ago. Or about our theism and others atheism. It's about the engine matchup rates. It's not about me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree