1. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 09:281 edit
    OK, in another thread ostensibly about defining God, the following was asked, but exploring this was not deemed relevant there, so here is a new thread for this:

"Originally posted by howardgee
    Could it be that unlike you, God does not exist?"

In order to answer this, I thought it would be mainingful if what is meant by the term exist is defined.

So, everybody who says that God does not exist, what do you mean by the word exist.
    Everybody who says God exists, what exactly does that mean?

Edit:
    In case somebody wants to simply say, it is obvious and "everybody knows", here is what Wikipedia has to say about the term "Existance":

There is no universally accepted theory of what the word existence means. The dominant (though by no means universal) view in twentieth-century and contemporary Anglo-American philosophy is that existence is what is asserted by statements of first order logic of the form "for some x Fx". This agrees with the simple and commonsensical view that, in uttering "There is a bridge across the Thames at Hammersmith", or "A bridge crosses the Thames at Hammersmith", one asserts the existence of a bridge across the Thames at Hammersmith. The word "existence", on this view, is simply a way of describing the logical form of ordinary subject-predicate sentence.

Unfortunately, this simple view is vulnerable to a number of philosophical objections, and the problem of existence is one that still exercises the minds of contemporary philosophers.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '06 08:331 edit
    Originally posted by JadeMantis
    OK, in another thread ostensibly about defining God, the following was asked, but exploring this was not deemed relevant there, so here is a new thread for this:

In order to answer this, I thought it would be mainingful if what is meant by the term exist is defined. existence is one that still exercises the minds of contemporary philosophers.[/i]
    Not a trivial topic. Both of the following may be of interest to you:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/existence/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/divine-simplicity/
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Apr '06 23:346 edits
    Originally posted by JadeMantis

In order to answer this, I thought it would be mainingful if what is meant by the term exist is defined. existence is one that still exercises the minds of contemporary philosophers.[/i]
    If you hold that existence is a property, then existence is that property which if lacked by toilet paper would preclude wiping.

If you hold that existence is a predicate, then existence is that predicate which if it could not be asserted about toilet paper would preclude wiping.

Under either view, the lack of toilet paper's existence or toilet paper not existing, if either holds, you're going to have smelly drawers, and existence can thus be observed empirically by observing clean drawers after the experiement in question.

As an exercise, describe the drawers of a person who denies that existence is a property or a predicate.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Apr '06 00:00
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If you hold that existence is a property, then existence is that property which if lacked by toilet paper would preclude wiping.

If you hold that existence is a predicate, then existence is that predicate which if it could not be asserted about toilet paper would preclude wiping.

Under either view, the lack of toilet paper's existence or toile ...[text shortened]... cise, describe the drawers of a person who denies that existence is a property or a predicate.
    Logic stinks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree