1. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 20:231 edit
    I reckon God's favorite religion is: "to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
  2. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 20:42
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    I reckon God's favorite religion is: "to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
    since when is that a religion?
  3. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:08
    Originally posted by dale21
    Sounds a better religion than the claptrap that gets served up on here
  4. NY
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 02:40
    what do u reckon?
    I think.. so long as some one Accepts there is a "devine being" or "beings" due to the lack of "proof" and the humans "free will" and or "power of rationality" and is a "good person"..... then its all good...
  5. England
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 10:14
    he loves us no religion in heaven or hell, he favored the jewish in earlier times and now its the christians but the warnings and blessings are for everyone, so the lamb will forgive or retain our sins
  6. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 11:36
    James 1:27 (ESV) "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
  7. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 14:26
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    James 1:27 (ESV) "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
    that translation says religion, my translation says "form of worship". so this is in additon to the christian way of life, to look after those in need. saying its a religion gives the idea that looking after these ones is all we have to do to be favoured by God, but im sure we all agree it takes much more than that.
    Nice scripture! read verse 26 also. basically says that if we dont watch our actions and speech then our worship is futile anyway.
  8. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 17:31
    that translation says religion, my translation says "form of worship". so this is in additon to the christian way of life, to look after those in need. saying its a religion gives the idea that looking after these ones is all we have to do to be favoured by God, but im sure we all agree it takes much more than that.
    Nice scripture! read verse 26 also. basically says that if we dont watch our actions and speech then our worship is futile anyway.
    The greek word there is threskeia which translates into "religion" in English. I believe most translations use the word religion there - I've checked about 8 and they all agree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree