1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 09:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Your 'given' is flawed. My God was not made in man's image. We were made in His.
    that was his point. to insult in a subtle manner. he didn't made that statement by accident.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that was his point. to insult in a subtle manner. he didn't made that statement by accident.
    It's easy to see how religious wars start. One imagined slight and out come the knives and uzi's. Religious folk are too quick to react negatively to imagined insults against their god.

If your god feels insulted, let IT do the talking and the killing. Until then, I can go on pointing out the ridiculousness of the entire package.

For instance, do you think your god is amused when religious wars start? Don't you see your anger as the beginning of such wars?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 12:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's easy to see how religious wars start. One imagined slight and out come the knives and uzi's. Religious folk are too quick to react negatively to imagined insults against their god.

If your god feels insulted, let IT do the talking and the killing. Until then, I can go on pointing out the ridiculousness of the entire package.

For instance, do you ...[text shortened]... god is amused when religious wars start? Don't you see your anger as the beginning of such wars?
    Of course, and others will continue pointing out the ridiculousness of some of your posts. Besides if you dont want theists to reply to you, why do you post here, why not take your opinions straight to the god who doesn't exist and feel comforted in getting no reply.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 13:03

For instance, do you ...[text shortened]... god is amused when religious wars start? Don't you see your anger as the beginning of such wars?
    yes, that would be your opinion.

i simply observed you are being slightly offensive and come across as mocking. and i let it slide. didn't call you names, didn't start a religious war.

what you fail to realize is that the faithful you are calling attention to, the faithful that you denigrate do not really exist anymore. most believers are pretty moderate. even rjhinds managed to change some of his views. and the rest are going extinct anyway.

you are using that view of the faithful so that your stance is easier to defend.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 13:231 edit
    yes, that would be your opinion.

i simply observed you are being slightly offensive and come across as mocking. and i let it slide. didn't call you names, didn't start a religious war.

what you fail to realize is that the faithful you are calling attention to, the faithful that you denigrate do not really exist anymore. most believers are pretty mo ...[text shortened]... nct anyway.

you are using that view of the faithful so that your stance is easier to defend.
    Tell that to the Taliban, see if my mild accusations would cause a religious war.

But you didn't answer my question. Does your god have human attributes, does it eat, etc.?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 14:16
    Tell that to the Taliban, see if my mild accusations would cause a religious war.

But you didn't answer my question. Does your god have human attributes, does it eat, etc.?
    we are not arguing how religion can be used by the deranged as an excuse for atrocities. anything can. there are twilight moms that would claw your eyes out you speak ill of edward.

you are trying to portray religion as bad by claiming the worst, the most extreme examples are representative. this is not fair debating. it is strawmaning at its finest.

back to your question, i already answered it. you erred when claimed god was made in man's image(i say you intentionally phrased it like that) and you erred because you don't understand what "in one's image" means.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 15:27
    we are not arguing how religion can be used by the deranged as an excuse for atrocities. anything can. there are twilight moms that would claw your eyes out you speak ill of edward.

you are trying to portray religion as bad by claiming the worst, the most extreme examples are representative. this is not fair debating. it is strawmaning at its finest. ...[text shortened]... ly phrased it like that) and you erred because you don't understand what "in one's image" means.
    Ok, man in god's image. Doesn't that imply your god has human attributes, perhaps has to eat?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 16:022 edits
    Ok, man in god's image. Doesn't that imply your god has human attributes, perhaps has to eat?
    We Christians believe that Jesus was the Son of God and the son of man. That is another way of saying Jesus was both God and man. We Christians believe Jesus was fully God and fully man and while on earth experienced everything mankind experienced, including eating and all those other human activities.

However, the Holy Spirit is only spirit and has no need of eating or other physical activities of animals. That is also true of the Father. So the idea of making man in the image and likeness of God refers to the spiritual attributes of God.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 20:46
    you erred because you don't understand what "in one's image" means.
    I think he admits that with the opening post and is waiting for enlightenment.

Are we to assume that we (mankind) physically look like god?
    (Which then begs the question of sexuality)
    And do we assume that god has eyes and ears and a nose?
    In which case isn't it logical to suppose he sees, hears and smells like us?

Fascinating stuff!
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 00:05
    no. because "in his image" means having reason, having will, having self awareness.

we already know that because we are unable to bring universes into being therefore we do not have physical godlike attributes.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think he admits that with the opening post and is waiting for enlightenment.

(Which then begs the question of sexuality)
    And do we assume that god has eyes and ears and a nose?
    In which case isn't it logical to suppose he sees, hears and smells like us?

Fascinating stuff!
    we could, but why would we? does god need to eat? why would he have a mouth? does god need to walk anywhere? why would he have legs? (i ignore genesis' "god was walking on the waters"😉.

the correct answer to this is: we do not know. we do not know "how" omnipotent he is, we do not know if he had a beginning, we do not know if he experiences time the way we do.
    what we do know is that we were given the god like ability of free will.

"smells like us"
    smell what? his outside of space-time fabric of nothingness?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 00:20

the correct answer to this is: we do not know. we do not know "how" omnipotent he is, we do not know if he had a beginning, we do not know if he experiences time the way we do.
    smells like us?"
    ?
    Of course we do not know!
    But we can speculate.
    You can use your God-given brain!

If he has a nose ... why?
    Surely he smells!
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 10:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Of course we do not know!
    But we can speculate.
    You can use your God-given brain!

If he has a nose ... why?
    Surely he smells!
    So even God needs to take a bath?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree