Does love exist

Does love exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Irrational Places

Moves
23 Mar 06

Cape Town

Moves
23 Mar 06

Originally posted by Kaboooomba
well would it be correct if we took away the thing?

you are correct to say lust is a form of love. it is conditional love. true love is unconditional as much as is possible.
My point was actually that love covers many forms not just the one you are defining. We can love objects, people, experiences and even imaginary things. "True love" is a popular description of romantic love, I have not heard it used much in conjunction with God. As I have stated before, inspite of most peoples denials nearly all love can be considered partly selfish in nature. If God does not give you a place in heaven will you still love him? If God does not love you will you still love him? Could you love someone else enough to give them your place in heaven?

K

In the wind.

Moves
23 Mar 06

Originally posted by JoniG
Love is good.
you have a spelling mistake and your words are back to front.

God is love.

K

In the wind.

Moves
23 Mar 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
My point was actually that love covers many forms not just the one you are defining. We can love objects, people, experiences and even imaginary things. "True love" is a popular description of romantic love, I have not heard it used much in conjunction with God. As I have stated before, inspite of most peoples denials nearly all love can be considered par ...[text shortened]... will you still love him? Could you love someone else enough to give them your place in heaven?
Jesus is a good example of true love. he died for some of the people killing Him.

s

Moves
23 Mar 06

Jesus is a good example of true love. he died for some of the people killing Him.
He was certain he'd go to a better place, though. Right?

w

Moves
23 Mar 06
5 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
According to vistesd, one of our resident sages, the Greek Orthodox Church says that eros is contained within agape. And they'd know, wouldn't they? Being Greek and all.
Very good. This is becaue agape love is used to describe God's love for humanity. In fact, God's people are pictured as a bridegroom awaitying her bride to return within the Biblical text. Agape love generally refers to a "pure" ideal type of love rather than the physical attraction suggested by eros, however. It is an intimate love or "love of the soul" if you will. Beautifal isn't it?

Other types of love in the Greek langauge are philia, storge, and xenia love. Philia love is friendship or brotherly type of love and equated with familiarity. Storge love refers to natural affection like parents for their offspring. Xenia love mean hospitality and was extremly an important practice in ancient Greece.

I think it important to define love in the Greek. Especially since the New Testament was written in Greek and because people today are clueless about what love actually is. In fact, when the New Testament was translated in 1 Corinthians chapter 13 the word charity was used in place of the word love so as not to confuse the assumed meaning of the english word love. The english langauge does a poor job in defining the world love because it is used generically and often misinterpreted.

Love is important and should not be taken lightly. After all, it is why we live our lives. What would your life be like without love? Would you even be hear if it were not for love? We naturally love becasue we were made by a God of love. Just as God is immesurable, so is love. There is evidence for both, however. THe evidence for God is all around us in his creation. The evidence of love is all around us as we share it with each other. Neither can be put in a test tube and proven, however. For the atheist, neither love nor God exists. Love is simply an evolutionary mutation that has developed to help us survive as a group rather than alone. Love in and of itself does not exist. Isn't it funny that your entire life is given meaning for something that does not actually exist? Dare I say it again? GOD IS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s

Moves
23 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Especially since the New Testament was written in Greek and because people today are clueless about what love actually is.
Or - and I realise this is a completely foreign idea to you - people today have a clearer perception of what love really is.

(That it can have a different meaning to different people. If it wasn't like that, everyone would agree with you that God exists and that it is love.)

s

Moves
23 Mar 06

Love is simply an evolutionary mutation that has developed to help us survive as a group rather than alone. Love in and of itself does not exist. Isn't it funny that your entire life is given meaning for something that does not actually exist? Dare I say it again? GOD IS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
😵

I'm sorry, but this is hilerious. Love is an evolutionary mutation? Who said that?.. 🙄

s

Moves
23 Mar 06

What would your life be like without love?
Depressing. Good thing my life is not without love. 🙂

K

In the wind.

Moves
23 Mar 06

Originally posted by stocken
He was certain he'd go to a better place, though. Right?
His last words were "father why have you forsaken me."
i guess that proves He wasn't selfish like your judgment.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Mar 06

The evidence of love is all around us as we share it with each other. Neither can be put in a test tube and proven, however. For the atheist, neither love nor God exists. Love is simply an evolutionary mutation that has developed to help us survive as a group rather than alone. Love in and of itself does not exist. Isn't it funny that your entire life is give ...[text shortened]... aning for something that does not actually exist? Dare I say it again? GOD IS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again a Christian steps in, tells us that the word in question actually means something different from what is in the dictionary and that God is the answer to everything!
Read your post and you will find that you have redefined the word love to mean God when the dictionary and us athiests (and a lot of other people) have a totaly different meaning for the word.

s

Moves
23 Mar 06

His last words were "father why have you forsaken me."
i guess that proves He wasn't selfish like your judgment.
Are you saying that he thought God had totally forsaken him? In this world and the next? That he believed he wouldn't be reuniteded with his God?

'Cause if you're not, it didn't take a whole lot of love to suffer for humanity the way he did. He knew he'd be alright in the end, anyway.

w

Moves
23 Mar 06

😵

I'm sorry, but this is hilerious. Love is an evolutionary mutation? Who said that?.. 🙄
If you are an evolutionist then love is an evolutionary process is it not? Do not all evolutionary processes involve "mutations" of some kind? I do realize that not everyone has my perspective on what love is yet we all agree it exists. I thought my breakdown of the Greek definition was useful, however. We need to define the erotic, brotherly, ect. types of love that the English word for love simply does not do. We therefore assume what the word love means based on the context of the converstations we have with each other.

w

Moves
23 Mar 06

Depressing. Good thing my life is not without love. 🙂
I never ment to imply that your life was devoid of love. I was only trying to make you aware of its importance. Without it you are nothing.

s

Moves
23 Mar 06
2 edits

If you are an evolutionist then love is an evolutionary process is it not? Do not all evolutionary processes involve "mutations" of some kind? I do realize that not everyone has my perspective on what love is yet we all agree it exists. I thought my breakdown of the Greek definition was useful, however. We need to define the erotic, brotherly, ect. types ...[text shortened]... e what the word love means based on the context of the converstations we have with each other.
Psycho-emotional expressions don't mutate. I'm no scientist, but I think it's safe to say as much. So, no, love is not an evolutionary mutation any more than science itself.

If love hasn't always been part of humans, I suppose you could call it an evolutionary process. I know too little to actually claim that, though. But I'm pretty sure that the phrase: "Evolutionary mutation" doesn't fit, since mutations are more on the biological level. Right?

[Edit: Don't know why, but I keep saying "right?" all the time. Extremely annoying. Right?..]